Pissed at Dish!!

SDSinc

Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I am very pi$$ed. I was with D* for years and had (2) HD Tivos. I had my locals OTA but got sick and tired of pixelation. I even bought a good HD antenna and still could not get all my locals in at the same time. I dropped D* and out of frustration went to Comcast. Boy did that suck. I just got Di$h yesterday then come to find out that they dont offer my locals in HD, WHICH IS VERY missleading on their website. My locals where listed and made no referance to not being in HD.

Does anybody know or is there a way I can find out if Di$h is planning on offering my locals in HD anytime soon? And if not does D* offer them now?

Im in West Palm Beach, FL. 33458

If Di$h is not planning on doing it then Im dropping them faster than I did my 1st wife.

Hello
Hd locals are availible in HD for Palm Beach Florida
Available ChannelsNetwork Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel #
(older receivers) HD Channel

HD
NBC WPTV 5 900 5
CBS WPEC 12 901 12
ABC WPBF 25 903 25
FOX WFLX 29 904 29

What type of antenna do you have?? You should be able to get all Locals OTA in HD very easily, you probably have the wrong antenna.

DIRECTV - Local Channels

I have the DB4 from Antennas Direct. I get in most of the stations if I have the antenna pointed one way but a few are pixeled. If I adjust the antenna the other way I get those but loose others. I even bought an amplifier for long cable runs to no avail. Maybe Im just to old (37):p or feel like If I spend $2000 on a TV and $90.00 a month on a service I shouldnt have to mess with a stupid antenna.

I have the DB4 from Antennas Direct. I get in most of the stations if I have the antenna pointed one way but a few are pixeled. If I adjust the antenna the other way I get those but loose others. I even bought an amplifier for long cable runs to no avail. Maybe Im just to old (37):p or feel like If I spend $2000 on a TV and $90.00 a month on a service I shouldnt have to mess with a stupid antenna.

I also have the DB4 antenna and it works great. I also have some stations that are 180 degrees from the primary location that I have my antenna pointed. I called Antennas Direct to see if I could connect two DB4 antennas together and have one pioint in the other direction. I was told it would not work because they did not have a uhf to uhf connector only vhf to uhf. They suggested buying a DB8 and turning the top section in the direction where the other signial was located. I have not tried it to see if it works. It may be solution to your problem though.

As far as dish's website, I checked that zip and there is no mention of HD channels for that area...it would say WEST PALM BEACH ABC-WPBF HD Not WEST PALM BEACH ABC-WPBF , I am in a market where I will never see HD well not in the next 5 years for sure because our market is a small market. They are adding 3 more sats this year, but the earliest I would even think anything would be lit up would be June (my guess) Probley later. So I would try and get the antenna situation under control if you want the HD channels locally...or else move as some would say...(do a search for moving) and will stumble upon how to do that if you dont mind not having your specific locals.

Did you consider putting it on a rotor? I know, it's annoying that it can't do it all from one location, but at least the stations are free HD :D

Check out the rotors they have now that you can program and they automatically move based on your channel selection: (Hope it's ok to post a URL here...)

Channel Master CM 9521A Complete Antenna Rotator System with Infra-Red Remote Control (CM9521A) | CM9521A [Channel Master] | Antenna rotator CM 9521 CM-9521 Rotor rotate rotater rotors CM 9521 CM-9521 rotators roter channel master 9521a automatic ant

I am very pi$$ed. I was with D* for years and had (2) HD Tivos. I had my locals OTA but got sick and tired of pixelation. I even bought a good HD antenna and still could not get all my locals in at the same time. I dropped D* and out of frustration went to Comcast. Boy did that suck. I just got Di$h yesterday then come to find out that they dont offer my locals in HD, WHICH IS VERY missleading on their website. My locals where listed and made no referance to not being in HD.

Does anybody know or is there a way I can find out if Di$h is planning on offering my locals in HD anytime soon? And if not does D* offer them now?

If Di$h is not planning on doing it then Im dropping them faster than I did my 1st wife.

It took me about a week of fussing around with an antenna myself, but I actually get all the Miami and WPB stations, and have very few problems. the pixelation problems I do have are generally caused by the stations in WPB, which are notorious for brodcast problems.

Which channels are your problem channels?

Where is your antenna mounted? if in your attic, what type of covering does your roof have?

Generally, you should not need an amp for the wpb stations. you are close enough that your amp may actually be causing the pixelation.

Dish promises that the locals will be turned on "Soon" but I'm not holding my breath. If you spend a couple of days setting up the antenna, you may actually like getting both Miami and WPB channels.

Check out :
West Palm Beach, FL - HDTV - AVS Forum

this group of folks helped me with setting up my antenna, and they can help you too. very nice and fun place too..

SDSinc -
Part of your problem may be you don't pay enough attention as to what to expect from each provider, since you have not been happy with three of them now. But more specifically, Dish is VERY clear about HD channels, when you go to the address page to find your locals, Dish has had this posted for a long time.

" Please note: Only channels designated by "HD" are in high definition. Those without this notation are only available in standard definition."

Then even more obvious on the page that lists the locals, on top is this;

" If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a High Definition Over the Air antenna. Click here to view a list of participating DISH Network retailers near you, who may be able to install a HD Over the Air Antenna. "

Did you choose to ignore all that and just hope they were in HD?

Just an FYI, according to the D* web site they do have ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in HD via the dish if you'd consider switching back.

Did you consider putting it on a rotor? I know, it's annoying that it can't do it all from one location, but at least the stations are free HD

I didn't like the idea of wiring a rotor, so I just purchased a big antenna to get four of the locals, then added the small UHF from Radio Shack for the other one, which is 180 from the other four, then hooked both into the same cable with a splitter. Needed a gain booster for one of the far stations (50-60 miles), but now the signals are rock-solid.

SDSinc -
Part of your problem may be you don't pay enough attention as to what to expect from each provider, since you have not been happy with three of them now. But more specifically, Dish is VERY clear about HD channels, when you go to the address page to find your locals, Dish has had this posted for a long time.

" Please note: Only channels designated by "HD" are in high definition. Those without this notation are only available in standard definition."

Then even more obvious on the page that lists the locals, on top is this;

" If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a High Definition Over the Air antenna. Click here to view a list of participating DISH Network retailers near you, who may be able to install a HD Over the Air Antenna. "

Did you choose to ignore all that and just hope they were in HD?

Man you gotta love the people who don't read, and then complain about it later...

Hello
Hd locals are availible in HD for Palm Beach Florida
Available ChannelsNetwork Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel #
(older receivers) HD Channel

HD
NBC WPTV 5 900 5
CBS WPEC 12 901 12
ABC WPBF 25 903 25
FOX WFLX 29 904 29

What type of antenna do you have?? You should be able to get all Locals OTA in HD very easily, you probably have the wrong antenna.

DIRECTV - Local Channels

Hi, Unless I'm reading this post wrong on my Dish 722 DVR/HD rec. there is no 900-904 chs. available. I have the HD pkg. Are you talking about DirecTv?

It took me about a week of fussing around with an antenna myself, but I actually get all the Miami and WPB stations, and have very few problems. the pixelation problems I do have are generally caused by the stations in WPB, which are notorious for brodcast problems.

Which channels are your problem channels?

Where is your antenna mounted? if in your attic, what type of covering does your roof have?

Generally, you should not need an amp for the wpb stations. you are close enough that your amp may actually be causing the pixelation.

Dish promises that the locals will be turned on "Soon" but I'm not holding my breath. If you spend a couple of days setting up the antenna, you may actually like getting both Miami and WPB channels.

Check out :
West Palm Beach, FL - HDTV - AVS Forum

this group of folks helped me with setting up my antenna, and they can help you too. very nice and fun place too..

I live in WPB & have an old roof ant. for the locals. I get 5,12,25,29,34, & 42. (There are also others I don't watch) All of them come in strong & I have no problems with signal loss or PQ. I just turned the ant. each way until I got the best sig., then locked down the ant. pole. The PQ is exc. on all the locals. Bear in mind this is an 18 yr. old ant. that was used with a C-Band rec. for many yrs. & it's missing a few elements. I would think you would get all the above mentioned locals with no problems if you are in the greater W. Palm area. I am in the Acreage in the NW area of the cty.

When ordering online, you are definitely presented with this screen or a nearly identical one....
JUPITER, FL 33458-

Sun Jan 06 13:40:38 MST 2008

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE
Congratulations! This address is eligible for the:
West Palm Beach/Ft. Pierce, FL Local Network Package

If you do not see HD local channels currently available in your area, you may still be able to receive them via a High Definition Over the Air antenna. Click here to view a list of participating DISH Network retailers near you, who may be able to install a HD Over the Air Antenna.

Local channels currently available in this package:
West Palm Beach/Ft. Pierce, FL Locals Package - $5.99 per month
Code:
Station 	Local Channel Number 	Dish Channel Number
WEST PALM BEACH ABC-WPBF 	25 	8860
WEST PALM BEACH CBS-WPEC 	12 	8861
WEST PALM BEACH CW-WTVX 	34 	8865
WEST PALM BEACH FOX-WFLX 	29 	8863
WEST PALM BEACH IND-WFGC 	61 	8867
WEST PALM BEACH IND - WJAN 	41 	8873
WEST PALM BEACH ION - WPXP 	67 	8871
WEST PALM BEACH NBC-WPTV 	5 	8862
WEST PALM BEACH PBS-WXEL 	42 	8866

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
re·search /r??s?rt?, ?ris?rt?/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-surch, ree-surch] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. diligent and systematic inquiry or investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, theories, applications, etc.: recent research in medicine.
2. a particular instance or piece of research.
–verb (used without object) 3. to make researches; investigate carefully.
–verb (used with object) 4. to make an extensive investigation into: to research a matter thoroughly.

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/netqualweb/localmarkets.pdf
The above link is to the locals available on Dish..It is alist..I don't see what is misleading about the list. Can you comment on what it is you believe to be misleading?
Here is the link to the local channel inquiry result from the E* website...https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/processAddress.do....
Please indicate where the information is misleading...Thanks so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)