Pix of Dish set-up in PR

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I was at my Aunt's house last week in Guaynabo, PR when I looked out her balcony to the school I went to a few summers (for Spanish refresher courses). But something else caught my eye. I noticed these HUMONGOUS dishes on the neighbor's roofs.

It is amazing how huge the dishes have to be in PR to get signal. I was also shocked at the offset! These dishes are nearly vertical. I would have thought the dishes would be more horizontal. These must be fun to deal with in hurricane season. :)

Check out the pix

See ya
Tony

Attachments

• DSCN3127.JPG
    DSCN3127.JPG
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN3128.JPG
    DSCN3128.JPG
    994.9 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN3129.JPG
    DSCN3129.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 391
I'm confused myself.... Those dishes must NOT be pointing at CONUS satellites, i.e. Dish, DirecTV, etc. What compass direction are they pointed ??

Tony
The bigger offset dishes can look vertical. If they were prime focus, then yes they would look like they're aimed top the sky. But offset is different. I punched in Bayamon and 119 is at a 27 degree angle. My offset dish for Galaxy 10 is around 29 and looks vertical (see pic)

Attachments

• IM000755.JPG
    IM000755.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 266
Interesting Pics.... I am going to show one to my dealer who said they shouldn't mount dish 1000's on my roof because they were too big and heavy!!!!

Well... remember that the roofs on those pictures are made with steel girders and reinforced concrete and not 5/8 plywood sheathing on pine 2x4s. :)

See ya
Tony

I think the one smaller dish up on the pole is for a wireless MAN, not satellite. I could be wrong, but I've seen similar setups in here in town.

The Dishes in Puerto Rico don't have to be that big, With 3' to 4' we can get the job done except 61.5(must a 6').
Here some picks from my Installs:

I'm confused myself.... Those dishes must NOT be pointing at CONUS satellites, i.e. Dish, DirecTV, etc. What compass direction are they pointed ??
They are pointing at conus (119 268 Azimuth and 28 elvation, 110 264 Azimuth 37 elevation) Also we can get 118 w and 121w

Last edited:
I was at my Aunt's house last week in Guaynabo, PR when I looked out her balcony to the school I went to a few summers (for Spanish refresher courses). But something else caught my eye. I noticed these HUMONGOUS dishes on the neighbor's roofs.

It is amazing how huge the dishes have to be in PR to get signal. I was also shocked at the offset! These dishes are nearly vertical. I would have thought the dishes would be more horizontal. These must be fun to deal with in hurricane season. :)

Check out the pix

See ya
Tony

Wrong side of the states... If you saw a dish pointed at 61.5 then it would probably be a 65+ elevation angle.

That other small dish is like others said, a wireless LAN dish. A wireless company around this area uses them, I see them a lot.

Hall,

Sorry I took so long to respond to your comment.

Those big dishes are pointing at 110° and 119°. They are pointed west-southwest. The picture was taken facing mostly south.

I never mentioned anything about the little dish. I am pretty sure that is wireless broadband. I never thought it was a 61.5° dish. I know that satellite is hell to get in PR. :)

See ya
Tony

I never thought it was a 61.5° dish. I know that satellite is hell to get in PR.
Actually is pretty easy to get it:)
If the costumer wants any International channels from it with a 4' we do the istall, However if the install is for HD 6' must be the dish in place.

Actually is pretty easy to get it:)
If the costumer wants any International channels from it with a 4' we do the istall, However if the install is for HD 6' must be the dish in place.

Yes, I'm sure that LOS isn't really a problem with 61.5° :) Just point the dish straight up!!! :D

See ya
Tony

Paul,

In the San Juan area land is sold by the square meter and is very expensive. Houses are built out to the very edges of the property line and all but connect in many places. You are looking at two houses in those picures. Both have dish network. Each house has two dishes. One for 110° and one for 119° The 110° dish is the left on of each pair. The reason the dish pairs appear to look at different angles has to do with the perspective.

The dishes are at least 4.5 feet but my guess is they are all 1.8 to 2 meter dishes. Look at the size of the van versus the size of the dishes. Then take into account that the van is closer so should appear larger.

See ya
Tony

Chicago Local Channels in GA

Need help with 129 TP 30

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts