Pixelation and loss of Audio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
Is it common now to see major pixelation and loss of audio that can last for 30 seconds or more.

I have a Hopper with Sling unobstructed LOS over the top of my mobile home and strong signal.
It seems once or twice in almost every 1 hour show I get major pixelation obscuring the entire image accompanied by total loss of audio. the picture usually comes back first followed by the audio 5 or 10 seconds latter. It is very annoying to say the least.

Almost everything I watch is recorded so I can skip commercials.

Could this be a sign of a failing hard drive?
Any idea what else might be causing it?

Sounds like a solar outage. Twice a year the sun is behind the satellite and over powers the satellite signal. 1-2 minute interuptions beginning in late morning ending in the afternoon depending on your location.

Is this happening on specific stations like your locals or on everything? If you're experiencing pixelation it could be from the line either from the dish to the tap/hub or the line from the tap/hub to the Hopper. If it isn't wired with Vextra rg6 3ghz rated line then it should be replaced. Try and get a service call scheduled because the tech can run software to see if it's a hard drive issue as well. My guess would be the line. I've seen problems with techs reusing Direct or Comcast line as for some reason it doesn't work perfectly with the Hopper system.

Most of the recordings are prime time after the sun goes down.

The installer was retired military, really squared away guy. I'm sure it is RG 6 3 Ghz and less than 10 feet from dish to receiver. I don't know the brand.
If I pulled the hard drive and ran a diagnostic in my PC, what problems would I run into? Void the warranty?
What if I clone the hard drive, maybe to a 6 TB Western Digital? Would the Hopper even recognize a larger drive? Would it try to reformat it to 2 TB?

I've tried pulling the hd from a Hopper before. The privacy software that's on there won't even let windows recognize it. I spent a few days messing with mine to no avail. But yes opening up the Hopper voids any warranty on the box

Would the Hopper even recognize a larger drive?
The Hopper like all previous DISH DVRs has an internal list of model numbers for the HD that will work in the DVR and if the drive you try to use doesn't match a number on the list exactly it will not work.

Reactions: TheKrell
The Hopper like all previous DISH DVRs has an internal list of model numbers for the HD that will work in the DVR and if the drive you try to use doesn't match a number on the list exactly it will not work.

Where would I find the list of drives for the Hopper with Sling?

Sounds like a solar outage. Twice a year the sun is behind the satellite and over powers the satellite signal. 1-2 minute interuptions beginning in late morning ending in the afternoon depending on your location.

Back in the BUD days.

But look at the date of his note. Solar Outages occur when the sun is DIRECTLY in line with the dish and the satellite. Depending on your location this is the first to third weeks of MARCH and the first to third weeks of OCTOBER. Each location is only affected for approximately 5 to 10 days, depending on the dish aperture. The length of time the effect lasts is also dependent on the dish aperture; Generally speaking, from 2 to 10 minutes, (give or take.)

It will happen only ONCE per day on each affected satellite. And it will happen at the same time each day during the Solar Outage period.

On the BUD it occurred several times per day, because you were watching several differant satellites, With Dish it will only occur relative to the number of feeds on the dish. (Three feeds = three times).

NOTE: I have been working on satellite equipment since 1981 (May 19th marks 40 years.)

Too late in the season for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts