Pixelization On Hdvr2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

renne2001

Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hi Guys, I'm a total non-starter when it comes to AV equipment. I do have considerable IT experience so at least I'm in the ball park. I have a Hughes HDVR2 which I'm very fond of (mainly because the reviews for the new Directv DVR equipment say the new stuff is such trash, don't bother upgrading). The main problem I'm experiencing is pixelization on some channels, naturally my favorite ones. I can't live without my Homicide: Life on the Street reruns and watching my locals is frequently not possible because they are so broken up. Anyway, to cut to the chase, I looked at the connections, they look to be satisfactory, dry, etc and I reset the unit, but the most encouraging thing I did was swapped out the HDVR2 with a lessor unit that I have in another room (no DVR) and reception was fine. So I am assuming it's the unit that's causing the problem not the dish, cabling, weather, etc.

I have read quite a lot recently about dropout and pixelization problems and a lot of posters are blaming Directv for using excessive compression to cram the bandwidth. Apparently this is not the case for my particular problem. BUT, if my unit is going South and the new stuff is such trash, what are my options? I have read some good stuff about a Panisonic [SIZE=-1]DMR-EH75 [/SIZE]DVR for about $400.00 and, of course the TIVO, but it's $800.00. I haven't read anything good about the Directv's DVR units AT ALL, but I have read about software fixes being promising. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Are these DVRs finally worth buying? I mean the reviews I've read across many consumer forums are not just lukewarm, they say DON'T BUY THESE - you will be sorry.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Renne (tearing her hair out with no HLOTS)

:welcome

I've been a D* subscriber for 10 years and a Tivo user since 1999. The HDVR2 is a great unit. My wife loves Tivo and we are keeping one in the house for her no matter what.

That being said, D* is putting out some great DVR's that have substantially improved since initial release via software updates. I dont have an R15 but I have had an HR20 since release in September 2006. It has greatly improved over the months with the various releases. I kept my HR10-250 (HD version of Tivo) during that time period. I used it as a backup recording unit in case the HR20 didnt perform. During that time period, the HR20 never missed a recording. It did have a few lockups but that hasnt happened in a long time.

I feel the HR20 is good and fun to use that I just leased my second HR20 and I am replacing my HR10-250. So not only do I want the HR20 for MPEG4 HD, I like it more then Tivo. So the Tivo versus D* version is a preference difference but I feel the HR20 is stable, reliable and easier to use and navigate. It does take time to get used to the differences especially for long term Tivo uses but once you approach it with an open mind and give it time, you may like it more.

I hope this helps.

As for the buy. D* prefers lease scenarios where you dont have to buy the hardware. The cost depends on your standing with D* and how well you negotiate with folks from their retention group. But you should be able to get a new dish install and new DVR for little to no cost. You may not be High Definition ready yet, but the HR20 works with regular TV's and is ready for the HD future. One caveat, any new hardware lease extends your contract with D* for 2 years.

Thanks Brewer 4 for those words of wisdom, especially about the retention dept! I have been a customer (paid on time) for about 12 years and they love me or so they say. Anyway, this post is to cancel the call for help on pixelization. Instead of the 10 minutes I normally use to reset, I yanked everything while I wrote my previous post (about a 1/2 hour) and when I shoved it back in, lo and behold, everything was as it should be - no breakup at all, HLOTS was again fighting crime on the mean streets of Baltimore and all is right with the world again... for now. Thanks again.

Regards,

Renne

Any way to help Renne. If you ever want to upgrade your equipment the best way is to ask for Retention group and see what they can do for you. Given your long standing with Directv, they will be very happy to assist you. And you will be happy in return. Good luck and keep posting!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)