Second location local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WINDSORMANHATTAN

Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hi folks....I take my second DTV receiver to our cabin for hunting season.....I get all the channels but the local ones....is there any way to get the local channels?....the second location is about 150 miles from my home.....Thanks

Hi folks....I take my second DTV receiver to our cabin for hunting season.....I get all the channels but the local ones....is there any way to get the local channels?....the second location is about 150 miles from my home.....Thanks

It may be too far to receive from there since they are likely on a spot beam. Do you have the same type of dish at your cabin?

Welcome to the forum WINDSORMANHATTAN. 150 miles is not too far away and I imagine the same spotbeam can reach both locations. I am about 90 miles from Boston and I get the Boston spotbeam even the MPEG4 Spaceway one for HD.

Brewer,
I have to dispute your post here.
As for WINDSORMANHATTAN's situation, it all depends on where his cabin is in retrospect of the actual spotbeam is, some spot beams are tight and others are not.

There was spotbeam maps floating around awhile back, someone will post one if they have one, I will also look and see if I still have one.
Problem is , he didn't say where he is or where the cabin is.
Friends of mine cottage is only 60 miles from their home and they cannot get thier locals there either.

Jimbo

True but if its New York, I would put money down it reaches.

Very possible, but there is no where that NY was mentioned that I saw, so without that perticular info it's kinda hard to say definatly Yes or NO.

I stand corrected if it is NY as the spotbeams for each city is different depending on the region.

btw, I almost forgot....
:welcome to the site WINDSORMANHATTAN !!!

Jimbo

Hi Guys...thanks for the responses......my home is near Reading, PA and our cabin is in Blackwell, PA....it's about 20 miles south of the New York- Pa border......my dish at home is a single head and the one at the cabin has 3 heads.....any help will be appreciated.......Thanks

So you are in the Philadelphia DMA in Reading? So the same receiver can not see locals on the 3 LNB dish but can on the single in Reading?

From what I recall, the spot-beam that holds the NY and Philly locals (as well as the main Boston Networks) basically only covers the eastern third of Pennsylvania. You are more likely out of spot-beam range when in Blackwell.

Hi Guys...thanks for the responses......my home is near Reading, PA and our cabin is in Blackwell, PA....it's about 20 miles south of the New York- Pa border......my dish at home is a single head and the one at the cabin has 3 heads.....any help will be appreciated.......Thanks

Reading is in the Philly dma, but Blackwell is in the Scranton dma, so it is possible that the spotbeam for Philly doesn't reach to Blackwell.

I am leaning towards that as well. The only other thing is the receiver lost its authorization as he moved it from one location to the next.

I am leaning towards that as well. The only other thing is the receiver lost its authorization as he moved it from one location to the next.
He would be able to verify that when he came back into town, if it still worked then that rules that idea out, I'm leaning towards him being out of the spotbeam range too.

Jimbo

If you are at your cabin with your receiver, do a signal strength test on transponders 12 and 4 for the 101 satellite. I would bet a million dollars you aren't receiving a usable signal.

There should be a menu item, which could be buried under some other stuff, to test your signal strength. While in Reading, I know you have a signal on transponders 12 and 4. But I'm pretty sure you'll have either faint or no signal on transponders 12 and 4 while in Blackwell.

Unfortunatly I'm in Reading now and not Blackwell. I will check the signal strength when I get back to Blackwell. Are transponders 12 and 4 dedicated to the local channels?......all the other channels are great and we have no interuptions.

Transponders 12 and 4 in Reading are dedicated to the Phila. channels. Spot-beams allow the satellite companies to reuse the frequency in other areas of the US. Therefore, if you are in Ohio, transponders 12 and 4 are for the Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland local channels.

Which means there are areas without a signal on transponders 12 and 4. And I am guessing Blackwell is one of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts