Planning on signing up with Dish

redmaxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Got a change of terms from DirecTV today and am going to try to use that to get out of my contract with them and sign up for Dish with the lowest TurboHD package. Are there any better deals out there than dishnetwork.com or maybe a referral I can use?

Got a change of terms from DirecTV today and am going to try to use that to get out of my contract with them and sign up for Dish with the lowest TurboHD package. Are there any better deals out there than dishnetwork.com or maybe a referral I can use?

Contact Scott, I am sure he would like to give you a referral, since it helps the Board Supervisors out.

before someone PM's the guy a clubdish number remember it is against the rules of the board to do so. Besides I deserve it more than the n00b with 3 posts total who usually does it. :)

Claude has a great deal at dishstore.net, if you use him be sure to mention it was at my suggestion :)

What "terms" are you speaking of. If it is rates or programming, you probably won't have any ammo.

What "terms" are you speaking of. If it is rates or programming, you probably won't have any ammo.
I really don't know what they changed. I'm guessing it's the stuff they bolded (I don't have the contract here at work, so I don't recall what changed), but there is no limitation in the contract to what has to change for me to reject the terms and them cancel me. I'm just sick of all the stuff they've been doing, like jacking up rates, they removed channels last year from our grandfathered package and billing screwups between them and Qwest. Plus the DVR is junk (so slow and laggy and now starting to report hard drive errors). I've had enough with them and the contract terms say I can get out. Whether or not they'll honor them is another thing I guess...

Claude has a great deal at dishstore.net, if you use him be sure to mention it was at my suggestion :)
I looked there, but I don't see any difference between their offer and Dish's offer directly. :confused:

Further info: I only need one DVR as I only have one TV.

I agree, I just made the switch from Direct to dish, used dishstore and I spoke to Claude to set up services all went smooth!! He does have a nice rebate promo going on right now

I really don't know what they changed. I'm guessing it's the stuff they bolded (I don't have the contract here at work, so I don't recall what changed), but there is no limitation in the contract to what has to change for me to reject the terms and them cancel me. I'm just sick of all the stuff they've been doing, like jacking up rates, they removed channels last year from our grandfathered package and billing screwups between them and Qwest. Plus the DVR is junk (so slow and laggy and now starting to report hard drive errors). I've had enough with them and the contract terms say I can get out. Whether or not they'll honor them is another thing I guess...
Another happy D* customers who loves the quality DVRs. :rolleyes::D

Another happy D* customers who loves the quality DVRs. :rolleyes::D
Yep, the DVR is the worst part of the package.

On the other hand, I might have to give that award to their CSRs. Both tried to convince me last night that there was no provision in the contract that lets me reject their changes, despite it explicitly saying so. The first one claimed that the provision was just there so that they could change the terms before I signed but once I signed I was obligated to accept any and every change they throw at me. The supervisor said that I have the right to cancel because of the changes and even once said, "So you're cancelling?" when I said "I'm simply rejecting the new Customer Agreement." He flat out refused to recognize the section that says that I'm allowed to reject the new terms and that they may cancel me if I do so, even though he read it off over the phone.

It really frustrates me that companies can get away with training their CSRs to lie and flat out refuse to honor the contract. :(

However, thanks to the Consumerist, I have the email addresses of their executives so I can request some additional assistance. It's worked for others, so I'm crossing my fingers. :)

Good luck!

I have been without Dish for about 6 months and its killing me to stick with a local cable company. I'll take Dish over any other company any day. I haven't had any problems so far. Getting reinstalled on Saturday w/ a 722K and my old 322 as I only have 1 HDTV right now but whatever works, right?;)

I did the switch from Directv to Dish, and so far so good.

Picture quality: HD has been good, SD not bad comapriable, if not a tad better the Direct

Customer service: This may shock some, I have had two calls, they have both been polite and from the sounds of it seemed based in the USA

DVR: I have a 722K and 612, both have been great, I was a little leary, since I was used to Direct's, but I picked up Dish Networks real easy. I like the "On Screen" look. I also like the fact that two TV's can share (1 SD/1 HD)

Not going to Slam Directv, they have a nice service. But thus far my experience with Dish has been good.

I did the switch from Directv to Dish, and so far so good.

Picture quality: HD has been good, SD not bad comapriable, if not a tad better the Direct

Customer service: This may shock some, I have had two calls, they have both been polite and from the sounds of it seemed based in the USA

DVR: I have a 722K and 612, both have been great, I was a little leary, since I was used to Direct's, but I picked up Dish Networks real easy. I like the "On Screen" look. I also like the fact that two TV's can share (1 SD/1 HD)

Not going to Slam Directv, they have a nice service. But thus far my experience with Dish has been good.

This is the very experience most DISH subs have , but unfortunately these testimonies are not advertised in commercials to the general public. If DISH could talk up their receivers and all that they can do in the advertising , more people might come and see what they have to offer.

They also need to fill in their gaps in local programming. It's great, for example, that they have the CW here in Indy, but they don't have NBC (not to mention PBS or MyNDY, all of which are carried in HD by DirecTV).

Well, I got a call from the office of the president today and while they understand my point of view and they see the wording in the contract, they refuse to accept my rejection of the contract. They said my only option is to cancel and that they will not terminate my service even though I informed them that I reject the new terms. I have never dealt with a company that so brazenly and openly violates the terms of their own contract. I could probably nail them in a lawsuit if they didn't have that idiotic mandatory arbitration clause in there. It's not worth it though, not over $60. I just got tired of the whole runaround and told them to cancel the service. Going to see what Claude has to offer.

I could probably nail them in a lawsuit if they didn't have that idiotic mandatory arbitration clause in there.

Going to see what Claude has to offer.
Mandatory arbitration? Is that even legal? Please explain.

Claude will treat you better than D* or E*, even if you do end up with a new contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts