Playing recorded shows sequentially OR combining shows

micty

Original poster
May 12, 2004
I'd like to know whether it's possible to select several recorded shows on the 522, and then have the 522 play those shows one after the other.

Alternatively: is it possible to "merge" two or more shows into one recording?

Background:
I have a 522. I want to transfer the recordings to DVD. The shows I recorded are mostly 1 hr each. Using my current settings, I can record up to 4 hrs on the DVD. I want to be able to set up the 522 to play 4 shows one after the other on the 522, so I can leave the 522 and the DVD alone, and I won't have to be there to select and play each of the 4 shows.

Possibility 1 is if the 522 has a playlist function (like most CD players, for example).
Possibility 2 is if the 522 has a function for merging two or more shows (in other words, combine two or more recordings into one recording).

Is possibility 1 or possibility 2 possible? Any other solutions to help me achieve my objective?

Thanks in advance.

micty said:
I'd like to know whether it's possible to select several recorded shows on the 522, and then have the 522 play those shows one after the other.
No
micty said:
Alternatively: is it possible to "merge" two or more shows into one recording?
No
micty said:
I have a 522. I want to transfer the recordings to DVD.
I'm curious how you plan to get the recordings *off* the 522.

Transferring.

hall said:
I'm curious how you plan to get the recordings *off* the 522.
Nothing fancy, just analog video. I don't need high quality images. The satellite image isn't very good to begin with, so the degradation in digital to analog to digital conversion isn't a big deal for me.

micty said:
Nothing fancy, just analog video. I don't need high quality images. The satellite image isn't very good to begin with, so the degradation in digital to analog to digital conversion isn't a big deal for me.

I have a standalone DVD recorder and will definitely be interested in burning things directly from the 522 by simply running the signal through the DVD recorder. If you figure out any way to make this easier let me know.

GoHogsAR said:
I have a standalone DVD recorder and will definitely be interested in burning things directly from the 522 by simply running the signal through the DVD recorder. If you figure out any way to make this easier let me know.

Until I find a way of making playlists on the 522, or merging videos, I have 2 compromise solutions:

Solution 1: if the shows you want to record are going to be broadcast next to each other, then record them as one show instead of separate shows.

Solution 2: record the live broadcast directly to the DVD recorder. I haven't tried this yet but I think this will work.
1. output the 522 signal to the dvd recorder. As you know, there are many ways to do this. See my setup below for an example.
2. set the 522 to record the show you want. Don't turn off the 522 (so it can continue to transmit the video signal to the recorder).
3. set the DVD recorder to timer record when the show is broadcast.
4. check if the dvd recorder recorded the show then delete the recorded show on the 522.

My current set up for this:
A. Equipment:
receiver (Onkyo 797)
dvr 522
dvd recorder (Liteon LVW-5001)
B. Connections:
1. DVR to receiver:
a. DVR 522 s-video connected to Video 1 input of Onkyo.
b. 522 optical output connected to Video 1 optical input of Onkyo.
c. 522 rca audio out connected to Onkyo video 1 rca audio input (this is necessary because otherwise the receiver transmits only digital audio if the input is only digital; my dvd recorder has no digital input to receive the digital output).
2. DVD recorder to receiver:
a. recorder's component video out, optical out, rca audio out all connected to onkyo's video 2 input.
b. onkyo's video 2 output (s-video, rca audio) connected to recorder's input 1.
c. onkyo "rec out" set to video 1. This means that the receiver will transmit the Video 1 signal to all outputs, including video 2 output.
C. How to use:
To watch 522 without recording on the dvd recorder: Set receiver to video 1.
To watch the dvd recorder: Set receiver to video 2.
To watch 522 and record on the dvd recorder: set receiver to video 2, check to see that receiver "rec out" is video 1, set dvd recorder to record from input 1.

522's sleep mode prevents timer rec on another device

micty said:
Solution 2: record the live broadcast directly to the DVD recorder. I haven't tried this yet but I think this will work.
1. output the 522 signal to the dvd recorder. As you know, there are many ways to do this. See my setup below for an example.
2. set the 522 to record the show you want. Don't turn off the 522 (so it can continue to transmit the video signal to the recorder).
3. set the DVD recorder to timer record when the show is broadcast.
4. check if the dvd recorder recorded the show then delete the recorded show on the 522.

I tried the setup I described above and it didn't work. Apparently, since I left the 522 on for a long time, the screen saver kicked in, then it turned itself off (auto sleep?). So the dvd recorder recorded just the screen saver and blank screens. Is there a way I can either:
1. disable the 522's screen saver and auto-sleep function?
OR
2. output the 522 to the recorder while the 522 is off but recording?

Or if anyone has other solutions for timer recording on another device, I'd be glad to hear it.

Disable Updates...

I think this will fix your problem, I had a similar occurrence.

Disable Updates...

MENU>PREFERENCES(8)>UPDATES(5)>Activation--disable (or set to time early in the AM)

I believe the updates will happen when the unit is manually cycled off.

GOOD LUCK!
Toph

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts