Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, George Fornay, is talking price when it comes to the PlayStation 3. In a radio show with France's Europe 1, Fornay said that the PlayStation 3 will sell for between €499 and €599. Fornay acknowledged that the price may seem steep, but he emphasized that that price should be seen as inexpensive when one considers that the console will also play Blu-ray movies. Fornay also confirmed that Sony would be going for a simultaneous launch of the console in November of this year.

Read the entire article at arstechnica.com

For those wondering what the straight conversion is: (as of today) Even though we all no the USA pricing will not be this high.

500.00 EUR = 614.311 USD

550.00 EUR = 675.820 USD

600.00 EUR = 737.228 USD

Most likely the price in US dollars will be in the same range of 499 to 599.

I think the best question is how much money is Sony willing choke up to make this work? Sounds like they will probably lose $300-$500 a unit!

I wonder why did they mention the price range €499 - €599?
Could there still be a posibility of two versions?

charper1 said:
Maybe they are guessing at the street price vs MSRP?
That could be it. 599 MSRP with as low as 499 street.

Sony Dismisses PlayStation3 High Prices As Misinterpreted

SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples told GamesIndustry.biz that there has been "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Blu-Ray Disc player".

So the price range mentioned by Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay – between €499 and €599 – is not the final retail value of the console.

"Mr Fornay explained that, with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly below this price", Sharples said.

"At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect. He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the current price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good value when looking at the BD and HD technology inside", he added.

Source: playfuls.com, gamesindustry.biz

At that price, forget it. You can buy a dang computer for that amount. I can play games on the computer. I am sure these new systems are supposed to be kick a$$ but I can find better things to spend my money on. Now perhaps if it has some other functionalities with them then maybe it will be worth it.

I can see Nintendo Revolution getting many sales due to the cost factor and being able to play all the old games on it.

Ilya said:
That could be it. 599 MSRP with as low as 499 street.
When have you ever seen a console street price lower than MSRP by more than a few cents? In the US anyway...

mike123abc said:
Dont forget the EU price includes the VAT tax, that can be 15% - 25% of the cost.

I'm not sure what do you mean here... in almost every EU country the ususal pricetag comes in a form like "net+tax=gross"... and I doubt Sony would pay taxes instead of customers. ;)

However I can imagine €499 + tax pricing which indeed puts their pricetags into the €499-€599 range.

However at that price PS3 sales will be laughable - usual good ol arrogant Sony... once again they're on their best way to lose yet another market leading position, this time their last cash-cow, the gaming concole market to Microsoft.

Seriously, at Sony they're smoking pure crack if they are really thinking PS3 will be competitive at ~€550 or even at $500.

Last edited:
As the drives cost about $400 bucks to manufacture, and retailers are used to 0% profit on gaming stations, my WAG would be 600 to 700 American.

zombie said:
When have you ever seen a console street price lower than MSRP by more than a few cents? In the US anyway...

Not at the start... and if MS will be smart enough they will lower X360's price by Nov 1. ;):devil:

Who am I kidding

Day one I will have one. I can think of about 100 other things I should buy, but who really cares. So I dont go to starbucks EVERY day, so I don't eat out 6 times a week, so I don't snort blow every hour(just kidding), you get the idea, we all have our vices and mine will be socom 4 on the ps3!

=Anthony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts