Pleasant surprise with the 622

fenwah

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
I was recording the Bengals game last night on ESPN. I accidentally recorded it on TV2 (which is the kids' playroom TV). After I got home around 9:30PM last night, I realized that I was recording it on ESPN HD but on TV2. I was really bummed thinking that if I recorded it on TV2 that it would be in SD rather than HD. To my surprise, I start the game, and it's in HD. My wife made me switch at halftime, and we were watching HGTV HD on TV1 in HD while the football game was still being recorded in HD on TV2.

I could have sworn that what you recorded on TV2 would be in SD...but apparently not. Very cool.

By the way, my ranting on HD quality was muted a bit after watching the Bengals game. It looked great. Also watched Grey's Anatomy from Sunday via OTA...picture looked great yet again. For some reason, those VOOM channels still don't look too great.

I have a problem with the 622. Everytime I record back to back programs on channel x, it will only record one of them and I can see the other with "0" recorded. Does it happen to you?

Hmm the Voom Channels look ok to me but some of them look better than others.

Sean - I recently recorded B-to-B programs on MTV and both recorded OK (I set manual timers for both several days in advance)...

fenwah said:
I was recording the Bengals game last night on ESPN. I accidentally recorded it on TV2 (which is the kids' playroom TV)....
FWIW we run our 622 in 'single' mode since we only have one TV :eek:
Our 622 _defaults_ to recording with tuner 2 and only uses tuner 1 when tuner 2 is 'busy'. AFAIK the 622 is programed to do this so that when you are recording only one program, tuner 1 is still available for viewing live TV (or recording another program). It really doesn't seem to matter which tuner did the recording. All the recorded programs (even HD) are available for later viewing (in our case on TV1).

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Sean -- One item which I do not have much pratice at and am not sure of the outcome, has to do with setting Priorities.

I had previously set up my 622 to record on TV2. One day I wanted to record something real quick, and it is possible there was a conflict with something my kids had previously set to record. Somehow I ended up in creating Priorities. After that time, there seemed to be a problem with recording 2 programs, instead of the second show recording as TV1, it just cancelled the first show since it was a higher priority.

Whatever, I'm sure it was operator error, and I probably should of read the prompts a little closer instead of assuming what they were saying.

One day I'll go in and get rid of the priorities. I think they may only apply when you have previously set a timer, and said to record all new shows.

One problem I've noticed with recording shows and what "TV" they go to is the 'start one-minute early, end three-minutes late' setting. For example:

-- Record Plus is ENABLED and set for TV2
-- Set a timer for program "A", on channel "B", from 8pm to 9pm (the real timer is 7:59 to 9:03 though). Because of my Record Plus setting, that goes to TV2.
-- Set another timer for program "C", on channel "D", from 9pm to 10pm (the real timer is from 8:59 to 10:03).

Doing that will result in program "C" recording on TV1, not TV2. Often, that's not what people want though and they think to themselves, "record it on TV2 ... it is NOT busy", but it is because of the 1-minute early start and 3-minute late end.

Enhancement request, Dish: When two timers conflict because of this 1-minute early, 3-minute late setting, prompt us and allow it to be overridden if we choose to.

I am not sure if you know this or not but....

hall said:
One problem I've noticed with recording shows and what "TV" they go to is the 'start one-minute early, end three-minutes late' setting. For example:

-- Record Plus is ENABLED and set for TV2
-- Set a timer for program "A", on channel "B", from 8pm to 9pm (the real timer is 7:59 to 9:03 though). Because of my Record Plus setting, that goes to TV2.
-- Set another timer for program "C", on channel "D", from 9pm to 10pm (the real timer is from 8:59 to 10:03).

Doing that will result in program "C" recording on TV1, not TV2. Often, that's not what people want though and they think to themselves, "record it on TV2 ... it is NOT busy", but it is because of the 1-minute early start and 3-minute late end.

Enhancement request, Dish: When two timers conflict because of this 1-minute early, 3-minute late setting, prompt us and allow it to be overridden if we choose to.

you can change that setting to anything you want to. When you go to set you timer, before you save it, go to options and you can change it to anything you want to and save it that way for all of your timers if you like or for the one event.

Hope this helps.

sno543 said:
...and you can change it to anything you want to and save it that way for all of your timers if you like...
I've been meaning to look around to see if there's a system-wide setting for that. People have wanted that since I had the 522 a few years ago. I know you can change it each time you create a timer, but that's an extra step and if you have one timer set previously, then try to set a 2nd one later, you don't always think to override those numbers.

Ran into another nice feature related to Record Plus just a bit ago. I have a timer that was forced to TV1 (for the reasons above) so I looked at what was on TV2 causing the conflict. It was an A&E show that is surely repeated often, if not in the middle of the night tonight. So, I skipped that A&E show and the timer that was going to go to TV1 reset to TV2 since it was now freed up ! I would have thought that once TV1 or TV2 is chosen, it stays there.

If tv 2 is the default it will automatically move from tv1 to tv2. Each time you set the start early end late there is a box that asks if you want to make that the default setting. There is also a default for sporting events where it adds an extra hour to events automatically that you can also change.

fenwah said:
My wife made me switch at halftime, and we were watching HGTV HD on TV1 in HD while the football game was still being recorded in HD on TV2.

Now see, this is what I predicted.

With HGTV now being in HD, wives are going to bump us off from watching football!!

This is why I have not told my wife that HGTV and FOOD now have HD channels. And why I have blocked those channels from showing up in my on screen guides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts