Please Don't Call Johnny Depp's 'Black Mass' A 'Return To Real Acting'

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Please Don't Call Johnny Depp's 'Black Mass' A 'Return To Real Acting' http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...cting/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix
The early reviews are out of the Venice Film Festival for Scott Cooper’s Black Mass. The all-star gangster saga stars Depp as infamous Boston mobster Whitey Bulger and features the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch, Kevin Bacon, Joel Edgerton, and Dakota Johnson. The film opens from Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. on September 18th and unofficially kicks off the would-be Oscar season at the multiplex. In much of the coverage, both in serious-minded reviews and offhand blog posts in the lead-up to the film, the theme has already arose that the film is something of a comeback for Johnny Depp and that this new movie has him “acting.”I’m sure Johnny Depp is quite good in the film, and it’s quite possible that it will be a solid hit. But we don’t know if it’s a comeback until it actually opens in two weeks. And, with the caveat that I’m sure I’ve done this from time to time over the years under various circumstances, I take issue with the notion that Johnny Depp’s recent misfires don’t constitute real acting. With the presumption that Black Mass is good and he is excellent in it, Johnny Depp is still acting in every movie he makes, whether we like the results or no
imo I always thought Depp was a good actor but he always seems to take the strange films than try to be in much bigger flicks but seems to make the strange films money!! ;) :)

Review: Johnny Depp rises above a very familiar feeling 'Black Mass' https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/review-johnny-depp-rises-above-171800261.html
For most moviegoers the new drama “Black Mass” will feel inherently familiar, and the reason is obvious. The story of notorious Boston crime lord Whitey Bulger (Johnny Depp) and the FBI agent who essentially protected him, John Connolly (Joel Edgerton), inspired Martin Scorsese’s 2007 Oscar-winning drama ‘The Departed.” The difference between the pictures is that “Mass” notably fleshes the story out with distinct historical detail that film lacked. Yet, with a number of high-profile crime thrillers set in Boston over the past eight years “Mass” has to rely on Johnny Depp’s inspired portrayal of Bulger and a strong ensemble to truly captivate. There are worse problems to have.Set mostly in the ‘70s and ‘80s, “Mass” starts off by attempting to frame Bulger’s rise to prominence through the plea bargained testimony of his notorious Irish-American Winter Hill gang, namely Kevin Weeks (Jesse Plemons) who went from bar bouncer to one of Kingpin’s most loyal associates, and Stephen Flemmi (Rory Cochrane), his top hitman. This device becomes a bit frustrating as the film unspools as it often keeps Bulger’s true voice at a distance. His underlings do a fine job of revealing how sadistic he was, but don’t expect to hear anything that really explains how he got there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)