Please Help!!! Glitch with HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

svenfire

Original poster
May 18, 2011
So Cal
Hello, I have recently installed an a/v system at a customer's house. All of the TV's in the house are Samsung LED. Directv came out and installed 3 H23 receivers and a HR24-500. They also did the whole SWM setup using a 8 way SWM splitter, DECA1MRO-01 units on the 3 H23 receivers (HR24 has it built in I guess). All of the receivers are located in a central a/v enclosure and transmit via HDMI baluns over cat5 throughout the house. With that said, the problem is that every time someone turns on a light switch anywhere in the house, the HR24 cuts the picture for 5 seconds then comes back on. This only happens with the HR24 and not the H23's. This is not an electrical issue since the house is brand new and I am the electrical contractor who wired it. The a/v enclosure is powered by a TrippLite IsoBar 12 outlet surge suppressor/line conditioner( it's the one with a digital readout of voltage and amperage on the front). I have tried every scenario (different phases, different tv's, different circuits) but nothing helps. The customer contacted directv and had a replacement HR24-200 sent out. I swapped it and now the problem is worse. Do you think he should switch to an older unit that is less buggy (HR23-700)? Please help, I am at a dead end and Directv tech support won't help. If you need any more info please let me know. Thank you very much.

I wouldn't call the HR23 series less buggy than the HR24s, if anything they are more buggy. Regardless, have you tried removing the TrippLite from the equation?

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have tried plugging it directly into the wall outlet, but that does not help.

svenfire,
I know you mentioned that you have tried all kinds of different combinations, but have you taken one of the TVs to the console area and hooked it directly to the HR24 receiver with a standard HDMI cable? Your HDMI setup is the only really unique feature of your configuration and quit frankly nothing else you describe should be causing the problems you are seeing. (It just could be that the HR24's have a more sensitive HDMI setup in them and that is causing your problems.) I also trust none of the balun coils are anywhere near the surge suppressor where they could pickup static surges from any coils in the suppressor.

Please let me know if this helps.
Wishing you the best,
Bob

I would also recommend isolating the issue by going direct to the tv with just hdmi. if same issue continues unplug the whole rack and go direct to the wall and juice up each device one by one.

Whats the model of your extenders, Are they powered ? Whats the distance of the tv and the hr24 and is the HR24 direct to the extenders or passing through some thing? are you using shielded cat5 or non. any other custom stuff in the house lutron lighting controls

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.