Please Help! Just moved and getting no signal

kohly444

Original poster
May 31, 2009
oregon
Okay heres my deal. Just moved into a house we just built. (paid $99 for transfer) TV's not working..... Spent 1.5 hours on the phone with dish, cant fix it and now they want to charge me $30 to send a tech out. I refused since I don't have the $30 and think it is horrible that they make you sign a contract and then charge you when there things go wrong. Everything is brand new. We transferred our dish network, worked perfectly for about 2 weeks and now we have no tv. On our dish it says 500. We have 2 box thingys that each controls 2 rooms (4 rooms total)

It says:

Attention:
Aquiring satellite signal
RXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Satellite: 110
Transponder: 5
Progress: 0 of 5

Can anyone please help? I would just pay the $30 if I could, I just can't afford to. (unless I dont pay my water bill) Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Oh and like I said the house is a new construction. Everything is brand new and in tip top shape. I looked at all the wires and everything looked nice and clean and good condition (and since I am just a girl I even had my dad look and he thinks all the outdoor connections look good)

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
where is your dish mounted? any storms lately? high winds of any kind? Trees that might have gotten in the way? anything?

No storms nice and sunny and no trees. It is pole mounted. I checked the pole and it is sturdy doesnt move, so unless the satellite dish itself can move... that would be the only thing. Is there a way to see if my dish isnt pointing in the right spot?

oh and thanks for such a fast response!

Last edited:
Well if Dish just installed it 2 weeks ago, I would call them back as there should be some kind of 30 day deal. Just play the CSR game.

Okay heres my deal. Just moved into a house we just built. (paid $99 for transfer) TV's not working..... Spent 1.5 hours on the phone with dish, cant fix it and now they want to charge me $30 to send a tech out. I refused since I don't have the $30 and think it is horrible that they make you sign a contract and then charge you when there things go wrong. Everything is brand new. We transferred our dish network, worked perfectly for about 2 weeks and now we have no tv. On our dish it says 500. We have 2 box thingys that each controls 2 rooms (4 rooms total)

It says:

Attention:

Can anyone please help? I would just pay the $30 if I could, I just can't afford to. (unless I dont pay my water bill) Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Oh and like I said the house is a new construction. Everything is brand new and in tip top shape. I looked at all the wires and everything looked nice and clean and good condition (and since I am just a girl I even had my dad look and he thinks all the outdoor connections look good)

thanks!
Did the system work at all once the tech was finished with the job?
Did you sign the paperwork as a job completed to your satisfaction before the tech left?
Did you explain ot the CSR you spoke to that you have not had service since the tech left and that therefore the install is not good and you demand it be fixed.
Call back and demand to speak to customer loyalty or winback. Tell them if a tech is not sent to fix the poor install free of charge otherwise you will cancel the service. And don't let them give you any static over any charges due to a contract. Remind them that their installer did a poor job and because the system does not work that DISH is in breach of the agreement you have with them.
Put your foot down and don't take any crap off them. You are the customer, dammit. You are owed a decent working system
This drives me nuts. I have been a tech for 11 years and I do A-1 work.
It kills me to seE accounts such as yours where a tech does sh!tty work and the customer is made to suffer for it.
Pardon my French.

could be that the dish wasn't tightened up correctly and slipped so there for no longer pointing right. As thiggin2 said, your installer should have told you to call them if you have any issues within 30 days (since they don't want to get charged back by dish).

Is the period down to 30 days now? I thought all antenna work was 90 days, or is that only for first-time installs? At any rate if you've only been at the new home for a couple of weeks, E* needs to make good on the service call. Did you call E* customer service or the number left by the installer? Some of the contractors leave their number which is different from the E* number. If you called the number left by the installer, call the E* customer service number instead or do an online chat. There shouldn't be a charge for an installation this new. Be sure that the CSR knows it's a new install. The Asians are sometimes clueless, so if you get an Asian when you call, try again until you get someone in the U.S. Or ask for or select from the menu Technical Support right off the bat.

First try a reboot by pulling the plug of all receivers & then plug them back in . IF that doesn't restore service then you need to run a check switch on all receivers. That will tell you exactly what sats your dish is still looking at. IF it comes back with all sats intact , you will be fine once the receiver reacquires the full 5 of 5 signal. IF it comes back with less sats than before or all xxxxs , your dish has moved or the coaxes have come loose , either way you will need a tech visit to fix it. What is more important to you: Sat tv working or saving $30.00 upfront and still paying your bill to NOT see a picture? You can always talk to retention about them taking the $30.00 off with some credits etc. Right now , you can get $10.00 off a month for a year as one of DISH's offers. Get it fixed and then call and ask for retention or cancellation department to talk to them about making the tech visit FREE. If all else fails you can write to ceo@echostar.com and tell them of your problems and that you think it's not fair to have to pay for the tech visit, since it has only been two weeks since the install.

It says:

Attention:
RXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

thanks!

So your system did work correctly for 2 weeks AFTER the tech installed it at your new house, is that correct??

Did you alter the system, such as disconnecting the receiver and then reconnecting it?? If so, sounds like you didn't reconnect it properly.

Is there anyway you could post pictures of the back of your receiver and how it is connected. I would really like to know if you have separatars and diplexers in your system.

Outside of equipment failure, I have a gut feeling the fix is pretty simple.

Last edited:
First off, I agree with the others. Just call back again and explain that you have only been in that location for 2 weeks and it isn't working. They should send someone out for free. If they refuse, hang up and try again.

OK, I'm going to get on my soapbox a bit here. How can your finances be so tight that you can't afford $30? If that is the case then it is just a matter of time until something unexpected happens and you lose your house/car/etc. People living beyond their means is what got us into this economic situation in the first place...

First off, I agree with the others. Just call back again and explain that you have only been in that location for 2 weeks and it isn't working. They should send someone out for free. If they refuse, hang up and try again.

OK, I'm going to get on my soapbox a bit here. How can your finances be so tight that you can't afford $30? If that is the case then it is just a matter of time until something unexpected happens and you lose your house/car/etc. People living beyond their means is what got us into this economic situation in the first place...

Yes and no.

If she didn't alter the system, then I can see the point of Dish sending someone for free.

But, if she did alter the system, then neither Dish nor the Tech should be held responsible for it.

If she altered the system, it's likely no big deal. She probaly accidentially flip-flopped a couple of the cables. I wish she would reply back. This is something I would like to think we could talk her thru so she wouldn't have to pay that $30.

it should be 90 day warranty from last dish guy. just call dish dish tell'em its not working and it is under warranty yet.

Lots of static how to get this fixed. If it was DISH that was hired to do the install at the new home and it is still within 90 days of that installation, you are under warranty and should receive an in-warranty service call. Now, you do have an obligation to let them attempt to resolve the issue over the phone by helping them complete the over the phone troubleshooting such as checking all cables are tight and correctly connected, possibly doing a check switch, etc. If they then determine a technician is necessary to resolve the issue, then as long as the issue was identified in that 90 day window, you are entitled to a free trouble call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts