Please help point slimline LNB Dish Lexington, KY

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jw7835088

Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
I keep getting decent sigal on 119. Im trying to point 101 but the most signal I get is 38. I have never had a problem pointing a dish, but this is my first 5lnb.

I keep getting decent sigal on 119. Im trying to point 101 but the most signal I get is 38. I have never had a problem pointing a dish, but this is my first 5lnb.

I normally start by finding the 101 and go from there.
It sounds like your TILT is probably slightly off.

Jimbo

Is the tilt (skew?) I have tried everything from 60-80. having most success with about 69. Anyone have any suggestions for my area?

Skew 70, elevation 42

Make sure the mast is absolutely plumb with a torpedo level, not the mast bubble

ok, I have that done...My mast is plumb & level and Ive used the skew & height. Ive moved left and right to get 101 at 47 percent. I have a clear line of sight.

What are you using to show 47%? The TV or a Meter? Also what is in-between the dish and the TV/Meter?

Type of Cable/Connectors/Bullet Connectors/Switches/Ground-block/Receiver/

50 feet of RG6 cable to home. From wall to tv. All RG6 cable that was just unhooked from my old dish sub.

I live north of you toward Cincinnati so not much difference in settings.

1st, make sure the mast is level. As dead-on as you can get it.

Here's the easy way to align this sucker with no hand-held meter. All nuts are 1/2".

First set your elevation to about 41 degrees. Since you're a LITTLE further south 42 might work as well. Lock the inside nut on the elevation adjustment screw. (Make sure the two outside nuts, and the two nuts underneath at the FRONT are loose. DO NOT mess with the big odd looking nut at the back. This is a factory pre-set and is not to be messed with.

Set your tilt/skew (whatever you wish to call it) to 90 to start with. ( I'll explain why in a moment.) Leave the 3 tilt nuts a little loose.

Now with your on-screen Signal meter turned on, and with it set to the 101, slowly pan back back and forth til you find the 101. If you don't lock onto it the first sweep, adjust the elevation in 1/2 degree increments up/down, repeat to sweep, until it locks onto the 101. Get the highest signal you can get from sweeping side to side (40% 50% 90% whatever, just get the highest you can) and tighten the 3 nuts on the collar down completely.

Repeat with the elevation until you get the highest signal you can get, as well.

At this point, you should be able to rotate the dish on it's tilt, and NOT LOSE the 101. The Slimline is centered on the 101 satellite, that's what we techs tune it by, and this is why we started with the tilt at 90. We always align the 101 first do to it being centered on that satellite. If you lose the 101 at any time when you slide the tilt through its entire run, either you've got something partially blocking the dish, the mast is not plumb, or the reflector itself is bent or warped.

If you don't lose the 101, let's carry on. Move the tilt back to 90. With your on-screen meter still on, let's fine tune it. Start with the azimuth fine tune dial. Turn it 1/2 turn and check the signal meter each time. This isn't textbook but it's the easiest way. Get the most signal you can with the azimuth dither. Now repeat the same thing for the elevation. 1/2 turn, and check the meter, until you max it as high as you can.

Once we have that done, finding the 119 is easy. Set your meter for the 119, and rotate the tilt to about 71. Max that out as high as you can, should be 70-72 for Lexington. Once it's maxxed out, tighten the 3 tilt nuts.

Recheck the 101 and 119, sometimes the 101 will drop a little when we tighten the tilt nuts as it draws the reflector up against the back assembly. Fine tune them til your maxxe again if you need too, then lock the 2 side elevation nuts, and the 2 azimuth nuts underneath.

Done.

Like I said if all you get from the 101 is 40ish %, something is either blocking it, the mast isn't level, or the reflector istelf is bent, damaged or warped. Highest signal I've ever gotten on 101 transponder 1 with the on-screen meter is about 96-97.

BlueGrassGuy1976,
Thank you very much for your post. I am very new to all this and followed your procedure on my very first satellite alignment. Everything went very smoothly. You are spot-on! Your instructions are so much easier to follow than what comes with the satellite dish. I did use a meter since I bought a dish with a SWM LNB. But, the alignment procedure that seems rather confusing in the instructions was a snap with your method. Thanks again for your post!
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)