Please Help. Split Satellite Signal poor quality

dip530

Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Northern California
I have a new DishNetwork DVR hooked up to my TV. It was installed by Dishnetwork a few months back. Yesterday I purchased A Sylvania 22 inch Tv to keep in the same room as my origonal TV. I wanted to have the option to watch my Dish programming on both tvs. I bought a 2-Way Satellite Splitter (75 OHM) from Radioshack. I plugged the Coax cable from the recever into the splitter. Then from the splitter I plugged 1 coax cable into the old TV. and then I had to buy more caox cable for the new tv. So I got new caox cable, and I used Twist on TV Coax F Connectors from Radishack on the new cable. Everything is tight and secure. The old Tv picture qaulity is perfect with dish programming. But the New TV is verry fuzzy and hard to veiw. Allot of gray static. I spent all day trying to fix this problem. I have no idea what to do now. Is the connectors I used the wrong kind?

You may have a stray wire from the braid outside the cable that is shorting out the center wire of on end of the cable you worked on, double check it.

Also make sure the center stinger on the new cable protrudes about 1/8-1/4 inch from the end of the F-connector, that beinf off sould give you a poor signal.

Try using the longer (new) cable on the old tv and see if the same problem shows up there.

Iv checked the input and outputs. All wireing seems in order. And both TV's are on channel 60. A stray wire could be the problem. I will go back and check the connectors and that I stripped the cable correctly. Thanks for all the help everyone.

If all of your connections are up to par, you might get another splitter. I have zero confidence in the ones from the Shack. If you decide to get a splitter from another source, Claude from dishstore can fix you right up. His link is at the top of the page...his prices are good too.

(Try to check your spelling and grammar, please: A Sylvania-> a..., origonal->original, caox->coax, Radishack->RadioShack, Is the connectors->Are..., Allot->A lot, tv or Tv->TV, qaulity->quality.)
(1) As said make sure the splitter has the single end toward the receiver and the 2 like connections toward the TVs.
(2) There is no such thing as a "2-Way Satellite Splitter" but only VHF and VHF/UHF splitters. You must have a VHF/UHF to get channels above 13 and not one marked VHF on one side and UHF on the other as those are frequency-dependent splitters. Typically they will be marked -3.5 or -4dB on each TV output.
(3) "Twist on TV Coax F Connectors" are not recommended as they do not make good connections to the shield and tend to fray braid wires into the center hole and short the core wire. They often have the cable pull out.
(4) If possible. swap the cables and see if the problem moves with the cable.
(5) Make sure the Dish receiver and both TVs are set to off-air and not cable frequencies as they are different above channel 13.
Good luck,
-Ken

I have a new DishNetwork DVR hooked up to my TV. It was installed by Dishnetwork a few months back. Yesterday I purchased A Sylvania 22 inch Tv to keep in the same room as my origonal TV. I wanted to have the option to watch my Dish programming on both tvs. I bought a 2-Way Satellite Splitter (75 OHM) from Radioshack. I plugged the Coax cable from the recever into the splitter. Then from the splitter I plugged 1 coax cable into the old TV. and then I had to buy more caox cable for the new tv. So I got new caox cable, and I used Twist on TV Coax F Connectors from Radishack on the new cable. Everything is tight and secure. The old Tv picture qaulity is perfect with dish programming. But the New TV is verry fuzzy and hard to veiw. Allot of gray static. I spent all day trying to fix this problem. I have no idea what to do now. Is the connectors I used the wrong kind?

Whats a "2-Way Satellite Splitter" (75 OHM) from Radioshack?
Far as I can tell it splits the satelite feed and feeds 2 receivers
Satellite 2-Way Splitter - RadioShack.com

I'm guessing you have a DVR 510, the output of your DVR box is NTSC Channel 3 and any tv spliter will do

Does the Sylvania TV have aux or composite input, you'll get a little better picture and you won't need a spliter

Sorry for the poor grammer.

I have checked all the cables and everything seems in order.

The following link is the exact splitter I am using.
Satellite 2-Way Splitter - RadioShack.com

I swaped the cables, and the problem followed with the cable. The last possible problem I can think of is the connectors I used.

The connectors I used is " Twist-On TV Coax F Connector (For 75-ohm RG-59 Coax cable) " That is what is written on the bag the connector came in. On the back of the bag, it says "This connector is intended for use on standard antenna systems only. Do not use on cable TV, satelite or transmitter systems.

I used this connector because the guy at Radio Shack said it would work.

Also one last detail I have - The cable I used to connect from the splitter to my new TV is the cable used by Dish Network. Back when I had Dish installed at my home, the install man left a verry big box at my house, full of Coax cable. I used that cable. It is grey. So I'm not sure if the cable I used is better quality or something than the RG-59 coax cable, the connectors are compatable with the RG-59, maybe not the cable I am using

?????????????

Thanks for all the help. :)

Satellite Splitter

What exactly do you mean by a satellite splitter? If it is a splitter for the sat signal then that isn't what you need to split the TV coax output. The satellite splitter isis for spliting the input signal to sat receivers. The frequency of a sat splitter is 950 to 2150 and the output of the sat receiver doesn't go that high.

The link he provided is a satellite grade splitter. I have a bunch of them and they work fine for both inputs and outputs (the old RCA models which RS discontinued in favor of their own brand)

The specs say "Frequency: 40-2150MHz" so they will work fine for an output

The OP said the problem followed the cable so it is probably an end. I use to use those twist on connectors and as long as you do it right, they will work. I used them on some cable runs form the dish to the receiver with no issues. You just have to make sure there is no stray wire or wire touching the centre.

if the modulator is set on tv2 to channel 60 the older will pickup fine.
a lot of the newer flat screen tv's will look fuzzy on channel 60 try using channel
116 for the newer set especially if it is a flat screen tv and keep the other one on
channel 60.

I install for Dishnetwork systems

a lot of the dual turners that are set to 60 for tv2 will work good on older tv's
on the newer flat screen they pickup better on channel 116

you have to go to the tv menu setup and go to where it says air or cable settings
change it to air and do a channel scan and it will pick up the channel 116

is your dvr a 625 or a 522 or is it a hd 622 or 722k hddvr
these receivers have 2 remotes for 2 rooms tv1 remote will be were the receiver is installed
and tv 2 wil us a higher channel like channel 60 or 73.

The reciever I have is a HD dual reciever. Im guessing its a 522. but its the latest. just 2 months old. i run the scan. only channel 60 shows up. and channel 60 is all fuzzy. it works though. The volume is perffect quality. Just the picture quality is struggling. Are you sure the connectors I used are not the problem? And I am still trying to tune to Channel 116. THe origonal TV works on channel 60.

Sorry, but the 522 is an SD receiver while 622 and 722 are HD capable. If you do not have cable channels and do not want OTA signals on the same cable, then use the lowest channel you can. For a 622/722 that is 21, a UHF frequency.

To have both OTA and Dish outputs on the same coax, you will need to determine which frequencies are used by all your locals (including those you do not watch)--this is not their channel number but the broadcast channel, for example, channel 7.1 may be broadcast on 24. Then you will need to pick a channel at least 2 from any in each direction. That is why 60-air and higher are recommended as most areas have had those shut off but you may find some not in use--at least 3 in a row. For a 622/722 make that 2 sets of 3 channels off or 1 set of 5 off to give you a blank channel on each side of the selected channels. (I think the 522 uses one channel 3 or 4 and one elsewhere. There you need no signal on channel 2 and 4 to use 3, etc.)

If you were putting cable and Dish on the same coax, much more care is needed.

BTW, I was wrong about a satellite splitter. It is possible to use a conventional, but high band-pass splitter to split the satellite signal. BUT only it it were used on one satellite LNB like 119W and with more limitations. Watch out, the DC must be blocked from at all but 1 receiver. As you want, at least, 110 as well you need a second cable and switches, which may be built into the two-LNB housing.
-Ken

Nobody suggested bypassing the splitter. Take the run to TV2 (that's the one with the problem, right?) and plug it right to the RF out on the receiver. Do you still have problems? Then the issue is something in the cable. Is the signal clean if you do that? Then the problem is with the split.

How long is your run to TV2 anyway? Will the RF out of the receiver support a split and a long run?

And last but not least, you're using cable the installer left to make the run to TV2 and twist on RG59 connectors? I can't believe the installer used RG59, should have used RG6. Those two cable types are physically different sizes so you can't use a 59 connector on a 6 cable and vice versa. If you look on the cable itself, it will usually say what kind it is (RG59 or RG6). Make sure you use a connector that matches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)