Please HELP with Issues I have

Status
Please reply by conversation.

user92626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi guys,
For weeks I had been getting "frozen", stuttering, pixelated, and no-pictures at various hd channels (food hd, cnnhd,...) around the time I come home, afternoon to evening. So, I called dtv and a tech came this morning. Sadly, all the problems are not seen during daytime (ie morning). So, my questions:

1) why are there problems only at specific time?

2) Regardless, I had the tech replace the lnbs with a new one. Now, the signal strength on all the sats decreased to 87-92, and 103b is most concerning: 64 (it was 94 before w/ the old lnb). Should I be concerned about 103b?

This list shows lots of chans riding on that sat:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/111682-channel-lineup-sat-transponder.html

Boy... sure wish I had answers for you. I would have started with the BBCs. 64 may be borderline but if you were having issues at 94, how could 64 be better. I cannot believe it's an lnb issue. But the odd thing about TOD,:confused: whewwww! just doesn't make sense does it? Suspect that is your exact sentiment. Sorry! What rec'vr?

BTW... have you been here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/108648-some-faq-new-hd-channels.html

I just went up to the roof and adjusted, but could never get it above 64. There are many factors which bewild me. It's a slightly square dish originally with 3lnb+2 extent. Now the tech gave me the newest one long band of lnb (sorry dunno the terms) which I suspect could only go to 64 because of mismatching dish/lnd, Is it?

So far, all the hd chans look good, which they also were with original lnbs. Remember I told you about problems only appearing at afternoon and evening. So, i'm gonna need to live through 24 to see.

I just went up to the roof and adjusted, but could never get it above 64. There are many factors which bewild me. It's a slightly square dish originally with 3lnb+2 extent. Now the tech gave me the newest one long band of lnb (sorry dunno the terms) which I suspect could only go to 64 because of mismatching dish/lnd, Is it?

So far, all the hd chans look good, which they also were with original lnbs. Remember I told you about problems only appearing at afternoon and evening. So, i'm gonna need to live through 24 to see.

Sounds like you originally had the original 5 lnb (AT-9) set up and the tech tried replacing the LNB's with the newer (AU-9) set up, that is probably why your signals are so low, the actual dish is much different. I would call them back out and replace the whole set up, or replace the LNB with teh correct LNB's.

Jimbo

well thats the first i've heard of putting the newer slimline LNB on the older style dish. IMO tech should have also replaced the dish. 64 signal strength soumds like trouble.

well thats the first i've heard of putting the newer slimline LNB on the older style dish. IMO tech should have also replaced the dish. 64 signal strength soumds like trouble.

I agree,
Sounds like the guy didn't have any of the replacement LNB's available for the AT-9 and tried to juri rig it to work.

I would DEFINATLY get someone out there to correctly install the right parts, Call D* and tell them what happened and you want it fixed NOW.

They will either bring out the original replacement LNB's or replace the whole dish set up, probably with the newer AU-9.(slimline)

Jimbo

Isn't all of this crazy? And all I want is just TV I pay for and move on.

shmeff, I'm kinda proud to be the first of something . Now we know that slimline lnb works with at-9, huh?

Well, considering that all chans are still ok, the one-long band lnb fits nicely on the dish's arm like they're meant for each other, I'd hate to call for another tech to come out and me taking one more sick day for problems that don't exist :)

So I'll wait for real picture/sound problems I can show and have dtv replace the dish wholely or original lnb. Do you guys know how long dtv provides no-charge service from the day you first got it?

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
Isn't all of this crazy? And all I want is just TV I pay for and move on.

shmeff, I'm kinda proud to be the first of something . Now we know that slimline lnb works with at-9, huh?

Well, considering that all chans are still ok, the one-long band lnb fits nicely on the dish's arm like they're meant for each other, I'd hate to call for another tech to come out and me taking one more sick day for problems that don't exist :)

So I'll wait for real picture/sound problems I can show and have dtv replace the dish wholely or original lnb. Do you guys know how long dtv provides no-charge service from the day you first got it?

Thanks, all.

User,
They work 7 days a week, have them come out on an off day.
You may get all your channels now, but bad weather will drop your signal right away and you won't be getting ANY signal because of thier mistake.

Call them ... tell them what happened and tell them to do it right.

ALL of my signals are in the high 80's -100. I rarely ever lose signal.

You will regret not doing this when you do lose signal.

The 2 dishes both use the same style LNB's, not physical but the design is the same, however the two reflectors are very different, you are getting only the signal that is hitting the areas that are equal on both.

Please take a picture and post it here or PM me, I'd like to see it.

Jimbo

I think I'd insist they replace the dish. This sounds like a poor work around and I'm surprised the signal is as good as it is. The geometry of the face of the two dishes is quite different.

I see that's what I need to do.

My sats' signal strengths on a seemingly perfect weathered morning are following:

101 - 91%
110 - 88
119 - 85
99b - 7%
103a - 0
103b - 60%

Guys, does my setup miss any sat, like 99a, or need to have more signal strength on any? (yes i am already aware of the 60% on 103b)?

Thanks again, guys

My sats' signal strengths on a seemingly perfect weathered morning are following:

101 - 91%
110 - 88
119 - 85
99b - 7%
103a - 0
103b - 60%

Guys, does my setup miss any sat, like 99a, or need to have more signal strength on any? (yes i am already aware of the 60% on 103b)?

Thanks again, guys

There is no 99(a), that's DirecTV 11 which launches next year. As for your signals, 99b and 103a are the two Spaceway's so signal readings there can be all over the place due to spotbeams. But for 103b you should have readings in the 90's on a good day. If you have any diplexors in the line remove them, else get the dish alignment tweaked since it's off.

SIGHHHH.. the problem is back -- picture comes in and out, broken, and the message "searching for sat signal 771". At this point I think rad is right that this looks very much like a diplexor problem. I'm sharing the dish, switch with a condo neighbor, and the problem as I said only comes on when I get home from work and weekends, ie now we're both home watching, and I know for sure all my coaxs come directly from the switch. Yesterday's service appears to be useless, and even potentially worsened the setup.

Anyway, I called dtv and it has to be another appt. It can't be now. This time I'm thinking I'll ask the tech to give me a whole complete dish/switch set up which I should 've gotten in the first place when first signed on.

So far dtv service reps have been all nice and cooperative and keep telling me i'm still under guar. and no charge. :) Thumbs up for DTV.

Is it possible that it is a multiswitch issue? I don't know why it would have a connection to time of day, but a bad switch can definitely give you the symptoms you described. When they installed my HD stuff a few weeks ago, they failed to replace the old switch with a wideband switch. I got exactly what you talked about. Check your multi-switch to see if it says "wideband" on it anywhere, or do a model # search online to see if it is wideband. Otherwise, it may just be a bad one.

Mine is already a zinwell wideband 6x8. I use 4 outputs and 3 other outputs go into a neighbor's which I don't know how they're being connected in there. If it's a multiswitch problem, shouldn't we see the problem all the time?

But did you problem look like this
ImageShack - Hosting :: problemtvgj4.jpg
?

Last edited:
Are you sure the dish wasn't changed? Does your dish say slimline on the face of it? There is a key slot on the LNB support to prevent the wrong LNB from being placed on the dish.

What ever you do need a servicecall signals are to low for Ka. Your original LNB was probably temperature sensitive afternoon temperature warmed up the LNB and caused the failure.

I am pretty sure the arms on the two five LNB dishes are keyed so they do NOT interchange. The cure for "sidecar" problems is a replacement with a "slimline."

Anyone?

Joe

I am pretty sure the arms on the two five LNB dishes are keyed so they do NOT interchange. The cure for "sidecar" problems is a replacement with a "slimline."

Anyone?

Joe

that was my understanding, but if there's a will.....

101 - 91%
110 - 88
119 - 85
99b - 7%
103a - 0
103b - 60%

Thanks again, guys
Hi Mr. User,
I think the 99b MAY be where some spotbeams are. I'm in Cincy and I have 0% on 99b, 75% on 103a, and 96% on 103b.

HTH:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts