Please help!

Lyndol burns

Original poster
May 11, 2016
Alabama
Yes I tried to hook up a roku box to my dads TV and finally got it to work but thinking I may have changed a wrong setting in the TV settings. On my dish remote if I click the "sat" button it goes to a blank screen. If I go into my TV inputs and select "component" the dish screen comes up but the second I click "sat" button on my dish remote where I can change satellite channels it goes back to the blank screen. It's almost like I somehow changed the inputs and the dish remote "sat" button is programmed to the wrong input. To be able to work satellite channels I have to put the TV on the "component" input, go two rooms away where when I push "sat" button on the dish remote control it can't send a signal to the tv, wait for the "sat" button light to go off, then I'm able to go back to the room where the satellite is and change satellite TV channels. Pretty much if I am anywhere near the tv and click "sat" button on the remote it goes to a blank screen saying "no input" and I have to use the TV remote to change the input to "component" to get the screen where dish is to come back up but if I then click "sat" button on the dish remote where I can change satellite channels it goes back to the blank screen. Please help.

Have you tried to reset the receiver by unplugging the receiver's power cord from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds? When you plug it back in, please allow it to power back up on its own. What is the model of your receiver?

Have you tried to reset the receiver by unplugging the receiver's power cord from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds? When you plug it back in, please allow it to power back up on its own. What is the model of your receiver?
I've reset it several times turning it off and on and it's the hopper.

All I can figure out is I must have changed a setting in the tv, or the surround sound that I shouldn't have. The dish screen only shows on composite input but when you push sat button on remote it goes to hdmi1 I think.

There is a hdmi going from the satellite to the tv but also 2 sets of component cables too. There are several things hooked up to this tv from outdoor music, surround sound, dish, bd player etc.... And I really don't want to mess with all those cables since I don't know much about them. I didn't hook this up. Dish did lol. All I know is on the remote when you click sat it goes to hdm1 but the actual dish screen is on component. Is there anyway to get the remote to go to "component" instead of "hdmi1" when you push "sat"?

I think I did enough damage hooking up the roku box so definitely don't want to mess with those cables again now that I can see a screen with dish on it again lol.

Even though it isn't hooked via HDMI, I wonder if the HDMI-CEC setting is turned on within the receiver and might be causing this? Which model receiver you have?

OK...being a Hopper, you might want to try turning off that HDMI-CEC setting I mentioned, though it may be a long shot. I think its in the settings menu under diagnostics (I'm not in front of mine). That said, you mentioned it is connected to the TV currently by both HDMI and Component cables? I wonder if having two connections to the TV is throwing it off. Maybe if you removed the component cable, the HDMI would work properly? Might be worth a shot.

I'm honestly scared to do that because there are so many things hooked up to the satellite and tv which is why I was just trying to get the dish remote to go to component instead of hdmi1 when I push sat. Knowing me when i first went and messed with cables trying to get the roku to work I moved something or changed a setting in the tv I shouldn't have. It took forever just to get the dish screen to show on the screen under "component."

Selecting Sat on your dish remote doesn't change the input on your tv. If your seeing a blank screen, I'd try pushing the "input" button while the remote is in Sat mode.

I'm honestly scared to do that because there are so many things hooked up to the satellite and tv which is why I was just trying to get the dish remote to go to component instead of hdmi1 when I push sat. Knowing me when i first went and messed with cables trying to get the roku to work I moved something or changed a setting in the tv I shouldn't have. It took forever just to get the dish screen to show on the screen under "component."
A sincere suggestion....do you have a friend or family member who is TV tech savvy? If so, give 'em a call..

Reactions: bobvick
There is a hdmi going from the satellite to the tv but also 2 sets of component cables too. There are several things hooked up to this tv from outdoor music, surround sound, dish, bd player etc.... And I really don't want to mess with all those cables since I don't know much about them. I didn't hook this up. Dish did lol. All I know is on the remote when you click sat it goes to hdm1 but the actual dish screen is on component. Is there anyway to get the remote to go to "component" instead of "hdmi1" when you push "sat"?
As someone else wrote, neither the remote or the satellite receiver will change inputs on your TV directly. The one possible exception to this is if HDMI-CEC is enabled on both the TV and satellite receiver AND the two are connected via HDMI. You said the satellite is connected via HDMI plus component cables. You also said the system used to work.

I'm thinking you may have partially dislodged the HDMI connection between the satellite receiver and the TV -- enough to break the video connection but not HDMI-CEC. Try reseating connections at both boxes and see if picture returns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts