Pocket Dish a DVD Recorder Replacement

jasonbonz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Kansas City, MO
I saw a thread about the PocketDish and got to thinking about something...

Currently, I am looking at an option of purchasing a DVD Recorder to record dvds on shows I recorded on my 622. In order to get 480i I need to purchase a DVD recorder that is pretty expensive. Most of the cheap DVD recorders have inputs only up to s-video.

In lieu of the purchase of the DVD Recorder, could I record shows onto the Pocket Dish and then connect to my computer and burn a DVD of that video? My hope would be that it maintains the same or has better picture quality...

Also, is the Pocket Dish "Play for Sure" compatible with Music Subscription services..

Are you saying the video output from the PD is s-video? What about the USB port with the computer?

I would hope you could access the videos on the computer via USB!!

As an FYI.. I made a few calls and it looks as though you can take the movies from the 622, record them onto the PD, and transfer the files to a computer. From there, one can burn a DVD, provided you have a DVD burner!!

There is no issue with S-VIDEO as it is all done via a USB...

Also, the PD, will NOT play subscription based music files like Napster, unless they are purchased (not encrypted with the DRM technology)...

Cheers

My understanding is that the PD is getting raw Dish files from the 942 and then plays them back. That is way they can transfer 1 hr recording in about 10 minutes. How are you going to use the raw Dish file to produce a DVD?

Good Question. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but that is an important point. I may have gotten to speak with an over zealous sales person..

Turns out I did speak with someone who did not tell me the correct information. You have the ability to store data from the DVR/PD on your computer, but NOT view it on the computer or transfer it to a DVD.

You can only view it on the PD

This defeats my purpose...

Yep, i was going to tell you this but it appears you already found out. Both the PD and Archos units make any recordings proprietary so that once it is on its harddrive you can't use it without the unit itself playing the file. That is if you have used the "record" feature to get the video on it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)