PocketDish -- 500, 700, or 604? :-)

Southern

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Houston
Howdy all!

I hope ya'll don't mind the intrusion, but I was searching for PocketDish reviews on Google and ran across this site -- lots and lots of good information to be had, I think I'm going to have to hang around for awhile! :)

As I mentioned, I'm "chomping at the bit", as it were, to latch onto a PocketDish. I was debating between the AV500E and the AV700E, when I started reading threads here about the 604 -- woah, something I hadn't even heard about anywhere else! (I read about the regular 604 on the Archos site, but didn't know they were porting it over to E*)..

Aside from the WIFI capabilities of the yet-to-be-released 604E, is there going to be any major playing differences between it and the 500E? The reason I ask is because I don't see DiVX mentioned anywhere in the 604 specs, and that'll be a big selling point for me. Additionally, is there any time-frame as to which the 604E Wifi will be released? All I've read says "Next Year", and I'm honestly not sure I can last that long. ;)

If I can't, I'll most likely get the 700E. Size isn't that much of an issue, as it's not like I'm going to go jogging while trying to watch TV or something. ;) One thing that does make me curious though, is how it handles direct sunlight. Most of the time I'll be using it on the bus commuting to/from work, and I'm curious if I'll be able to watch it during the afternoon commute. Can someone tell me how it holds up under direct sunlight?

At any rate, great forum here, and I look forward to hanging around a bit. :)

:welcome

I just switched to Dish after 6 years with DirecTV HD service. The pocket dish models have me intrigued also. I'm sure it won't take long for a reply.

I have the 7 Inch PocketDish and the 2.2 Inch models.

The big drawback to them if you can not transfer HD content to them, or an OTA recordings since it considers them HD too (even if they are not)

With the new versions you will be able to transfer this content to them however you wont watch them in full resolution.

I have been told by one Dish Insider that the current model units are better then the new ones that are coming and that the new ones are more restrictive in what they can do. I asked the person to explain futher and they said they couldn't.

They are watchable in direct sun light, but it depends on how much direct sunlight. With the upcoming time change coming it will be dark at 4pm, so I dont see that as a problem. :)

Thanks for the info, Scott. :)

HighDef programming really isn't a problem for me, as I don't care about it one way or the other. As long as I can transfer my weekly Smallville, Supernatural & Mythbusters over to it from my 522, I'm happy. :)

Well, mostly happy. It would be nice to be able to put a few of my DiVX downloads on it (like Dr. Who).. right now I watch those on the computer with no "easy" way of getting them to my big screen (55").. I'm hoping the PocketDish will help in that regard? (Assuming that the episodes are recorded in DiVX 5.0.. If they're in 6.0+, from what I understand, I'm outta luck. :()

May I ask what you meant by OverTheAir recordings, and how they are classified as HD Programming? The only way I know of to get OTA recordings to the PocketDish is to plug it up (via the RCA/SVideo jacks) to a VCR (or something with Audio/Video out ports) and record it in "Analog" format -- are you saying that those won't play? That puts a kink in things. :|

Thanks again!!

Don't get paranoid. Digital Rights Management is a computer issue for the time being, not generally associated with satellite transmissions or recordings. I would expect that software or other "undesirable" items outside of that intended was found on some PocketDish's, and future generations will have safeguards to prevent this.

At home, we use the 7" and 4" PocketDish

Both made by Archos have the same quality features except the screen size. The picture is much better on the 4". I use the 4" on the road and in flight during business travel. I like it a lot and the size is just right (not too big or too small).

I would highly recommend either one specially if you have a compatible DVR.

Just wanted to follow up and say that I've been using the AV700E for about 2 months now, and I couldn't be happier.

Well, I *could*, but that would require me to have a 942 or 622 instead of a 522.. Waiting 40 minutes to transfer 1 hour of Dish Programming is darn near real time. :)

That said, the picture quality on this thing is *Superb*, and the ability to watch DiVX content "on the go" is unparalleled. The ~45 minutes I spend on the bus every day is almost unnoticed by me now, as that's almost the exact time of a regular hour-long TV show w/o commercials.

Now if only my favorite shows (Smallville, Supernatural, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Mythbusters and a few others) would come out of holiday hiatus!
:D

So thanks for the advice, everyone, on this thread and the many other PocketDish threads here on SatelliteGuys. :)

Chase Card Services Launches Interactive Service

VOOM still on 61.5 with MPEG 2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)