Pocketdish again

skyeblues

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I realize information has been posted on the pocketdish, as I did a search and have gone through the postings. I just want to ask for a little update, as I'm considering purchasing one of these, and figure by now a great deal more people have them. Would you mind posting your opinion regarding size and features? I am considering the mid-size (500e) due to the pocket size convenience, but then again see the price difference between that and the 700 is not that much anymore, particularly with the rebates offered. The 700 advertises stereo speakers compared to it looks like one speaker on the 500. I also read somewhere that the 700 has a stand. Is the picture quality the same on both the larger models? Thanks for any information.

Yes...I did see that thread. Thanks. Actually because of previous posts I hesistated in posting this one. But I just wanted a little more feedback to shove me over the edge into making a choice. Figured a few more people have them by now, as it looks like they arrive in a few days if ordered from the right source. I appreciate the reply.

I just bought a PocketDish AV500E from The DishStore.Net last week. It is a great unit. The picture quility is excellent. The 4" screen is very nice for viewing videos. My understanding is that the 700 has the same resolution, but with the larger screen the picture is not as sharp. The sound quality is also excellent. With my Sony headphones there is plenty of volume. It has one on board speaker. It is fine for watching videos, but the volume doesn't get excessive. The 500 comes with a protective case, that when opened can become a stand. I read a lot of reviews on the internet and this unit got very high ratings. I'm very happy that I chose this unit. I checked around and The DishStore.Net had the best price. Just click on there logo at the top of the page. Hope this helps.

I've got the 700 and the picture quality does lack a bit (when considering the resolution to size ratio) due to the larger screen size. Sound is great. Iterface is a bit different, but once you get used to it, it's not a biggie. I liked the larger hard drive in the 700. It does have a "bar" that pulls out to become a stand.

Also, the "break-out box" is nice as it allows for hooking it up to an SD composite source. I recorded "Get Out" Belize in SD from my 622 composite output into the pocketdish. Recorded it just fine.

I'm not sure if it's the mpeg-4 or the available color space of the screen, but the colors are limited and you can see that some colors are crushed and creates banding on gradient colors.

If portability is most important for you, go with the 500. The size of the 700 is definitely a disadvantage.

For the most part, I'm happy I bought the 700instead of an ipod.

I do appreciate your input! I think I will go ahead and get the 500. I looked at DishStore.Net and am considering purchasing it there. The downloadable rebate form .pdf on DishStore.Net shows that the purchase should be made before 4-15-06 and the rebate postmarked before 5-15-06. I was under the impression the rebate was still current. I will look around for the best price.

skyeblues said:
I do appreciate your input! I think I will go ahead and get the 500. I looked at DishStore.Net and am considering purchasing it there. The downloadable rebate form .pdf on DishStore.Net shows that the purchase should be made before 4-15-06 and the rebate postmarked before 5-15-06. I was under the impression the rebate was still current. I will look around for the best price.
My 11 yr. old son wants a pocket dish (500), is the user interface easy enough for a kid to use? Looks like the rebate has expired? or has it?

ewhite said:
I just bought a PocketDish AV500E from The DishStore.Net last week. It is a great unit. The picture quility is excellent. The 4" screen is very nice for viewing videos. My understanding is that the 700 has the same resolution, but with the larger screen the picture is not as sharp. The sound quality is also excellent. With my Sony headphones there is plenty of volume. It has one on board speaker. It is fine for watching videos, but the volume doesn't get excessive. The 500 comes with a protective case, that when opened can become a stand. I read a lot of reviews on the internet and this unit got very high ratings. I'm very happy that I chose this unit. I checked around and The DishStore.Net had the best price. Just click on there logo at the top of the page. Hope this helps.

I totally agree with this post. I have used the unit everyday for about a month and I love it. I also got it from The DishStore. Thy gave the best service you could ask for!

Note also that dishstore can be a little slow shipping. Apparently, they don't keep the pocketdish in stock (too many E* price changes).

I ordered mine Thursday and it still hasn't shipped (now Tuesday). They are expecting it to ship today.

Correct the DishStore does not usually carry more then 1 PocketDish in stock at a time. When we order more usually we get them the next day. For some reason there was a delay getting from Dish the last few times we ordered from them.

We appologize for the delay.

I know for a fact that Dishstore should have at least one AV700E in stock sometime tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
I noticed that the new rebate form states to sign up for a dish network account. Is it only for new customers or can current customers quilify?

The iPod screen has plastic over it if I remember correctly. The LCD screen on the 700 does not and has the same characteristics as a normal big screen LCD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)