PocketDish:Long Term Report?

socalpanman

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 12, 2005
San Rafael CA
Gift season is around the corner so.....
Looking for a review from those of you who have had a PocketDish from its release or there abouts. How's it held up software and hardware wise? Is it more or less enjoyable than you thought it would be? Please let me know which size you have too.
Thanks!:hatsoff:

There are lots of threads about it. I have the 7" model and use it for two things --- music and video --- while commuting to work. I have been very happy with it. It does not allow downresize of HD content from my 622 but it has a scheduler that I usually use at night time. I have a ATI card that allows me to record off air and the pocket dish is able to play those. I also used the usb download on the SD channels on the 622. I could not be happier with it. You may want to way for the next generation which promises to have a tons of features and even internet capabilities.

There has been lots of talk about the new PocketDish units that should be available in the next month or so....I wouldn't buy the current models unless you don't care about:

* DVD-quality playback
* HD downrezzed transfer from your DVR
* Improved docking station with component output
* WIFI option with built-in web browser (Opera)
* Improved menus and housing

Search this forum and Google for the 604.

Hang in there. Good things are coming.

Thanks. I have been following related threads as they come up.
But I was really looking for current feedback on satisfaction from long term use.
Transferring HD contect etc is very important but how Dish dealt with issues for current users has a lot to say for what I should expect for the newer versions.
As always this is the place to get straight ahead honest answers. In between the few usual predictable whiners and gripers.:D

socalpanman said:
Thanks. I have been following related threads as they come up.
But I was really looking for current feedback on satisfaction from long term use.
Transferring HD contect etc is very important but how Dish dealt with issues for current users has a lot to say for what I should expect for the newer versions.
As always this is the place to get straight ahead honest answers. In between the few usual predictable whiners and gripers.:D

I've only had E* and the AV402E for 3 months, so I'm not really long term, but I like it a lot. With the rebate (received within a few weeks), it was about $120 including shipping and tax. Well worth it, and almost enough to make me happy I switched from D* [HD was the main reason].

I've used it like a USB drive, loaded MP3s and AVIs, and played _Supersize Me_ on the TV in the labor and delivery room while my daughter was being born. Wife watched also, but was a little distracted. :) If there's any negative, it's that it gets a little warm, but nothing like the 622.

I will say that E* seems to be very interested in current users' input for the next generation product. They sent me a survey asking about what features and improvements I'm most interested in. They gave 10 free music downloads for completing the survey. I'll probably buy a 604 PocketDISH version when it's available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts