PocketDish video inputs

Dirk_McGherkin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2006
I notice the two higher end pocket dish units are able to record an analog source from a vcr, dvd player, etc. How is this accomplished? I assume it records a Composite signal. Does the unit have to be docked to record a composite signal? How long can it record an analog source using just the battery if not docked?

TIA,

Dirk

Last edited:
There is a separate "breakout box" that you hook directly up to the pocketdish. The breakout box does connect to composite sources. The power cable hooks directly to the breakout box. So, when you hook up the pocketdish to the breakoutbox, it is supplied with power.

In essence, the breakout box is a "docking station". The only difference is that the pocketdish doesn't sit or dock down into it. It is hooked up by a cable.

I don't know why I have such a hard time understanding Pocket dish but anyway, as I read the posts above, is it correct then that you can transfer something from basically any video source with normal composite outputs like a VCR, DVD player, TV tuner or even a non-Dish satellite receiver to the Pocket dish ?

Now does the Pocket dish also have composite (S-Vid) outputs so you could do playback on a regular TV if you wanted instead of the little screen? If so, is does that playback loose much PQ as say compared from the original source?

Thanks

waltinvt said:
I don't know why I have such a hard time understanding Pocket dish but anyway

Me either.

waltinvt said:
as I read the posts above, is it correct then that you can transfer something from basically any video source with normal composite outputs like a VCR, DVD player, TV tuner or even a non-Dish satellite receiver to the Pocket dish ?

Yes.

waltinvt said:
Now does the Pocket dish also have composite (S-Vid) outputs so you could do playback on a regular TV if you wanted instead of the little screen?

Yes. It has both S-Video and RCA composite out.

waltinvt said:
If so, is does that playback loose much PQ as say compared from the original source?

Don't know. I've never done it.

Also, you might want to try doing a little research:
Official Tech Specs
Or you can RTF AV700E M, RTF AV500E M.

The PQ you get back from the recorded show on the PD is pretty good, especially if you use the higher recording options. I have played some of my recordings back on my 50" LCD and they weren't too bad considering the size of the video file and the size of the TV being viewed.

jbcheshire said:
The PQ you get back from the recorded show on the PD is pretty good, especially if you use the higher recording options. I have played some of my recordings back on my 50" LCD and they weren't too bad considering the size of the video file and the size of the TV being viewed.
I'm not sure if the poor picture quality that I'm seeing is due to lackluster encoding or the LCD screen limitations. Like I said, I haven't hooked up the output of the PD to a TV. I've only watched the video on the PD screen itself. I suppose I could experiment tonight.

Yeah, one of the first things I did when I bought it was set all of my settings like that to high. All of my mp3's are also at 240 kbps or more. :D

Well I noticed my 211 has a USB connection on it and the manual says for connections to POCKET DISH. does anyone know if I can get video on the pocket dish from that even though its not a dvr?

International + HD channels Question??

Dish pictures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)