PocketDISH: Why must customers deal with Archos?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Seriously, why must we deal with Archos for a Dish Network branded product? It is impossible to register the product and track service through the Archos website - it just doesn't like PocketDISH serial numbers. I will admit the turnaround on my recent warranty repair service was pretty quick, but their phone support (on hold forever and eternity) made Dish Network CSRs look like they are sh*tting tiffany cufflinks. While Dish Network customer service may be far from perfect, in theory there is only one number I need to call for billing, service, and support issues.

Again, why do I need to dicker with the manufacturer of this Dish Network branded product? Could you imagine having to call a different vendor for each and every one of your Dish Network branded receivers? Yikes!

Anyway, does anyone agree or am I alone on this one?

Sorry a slight side question but I have an archos, would it be recognised by my 622 as a pocketdish?

Archos is the manufacturer and when DISH has sold products manufactured by others they don't take the responsibility. When they tried selling JUNK made by RCA as DISH HDTV sets the customer was forced to go to RCA for service. MANY MANY unhappy HDTV customers. Next they tried some LCDs made in China, I don't know how many got to retail but they were rapidly discontinued. Don't be too surprised if the Archos DISHPLAYER has a short life under the DISH Brand.

Yes, but were the RCA receivers Dish Branded like the PocketDISH? Plus, the RCA receiver could be purchased in a retailer store...Dish Network receivers, and the PocketDISH, can only be purchased through a Dish Network retailer. I believe many of the Dish Network receivers are currently made Company down in Mexico. I'm sure glad we're not dealing with this company for repairs. In any case, I would prefer to deal with Dish Network for all Dish Branded products.

Regarding an Archos device...it is my understanding that it will be recognized as a USB storage device, but it not seen as a PocketDISH.

I hate Archos. I would never buy another product made by them. I bought a Pocketdish, and it had a "software" problem from the beginning. I got nothing but a runaround in trying to get it replaced. Finally, they repaired mine so that the video works, but now I cannot download songs/pix from my computer. I've had such a horrid time w/their customer no-service/tech support, that I haven't even called about this problem.

I should add that now that the video works, it has a great picture, and I do love it. It would just be nice to have all the features working correctly, and I'm hoping the other problem can be fixed over the phone. But I'm not holding my breath. :(

Dish has invested in Archos - so don't be suprised if they keep selling the product for a while

dish needs to stand behind any product they sell but they dont. the serious sat radios went away very quikly also. i think the price for the pocket dish needs to drop another $100 befor i take the chance on one.

I agree...any Dish branded product, that is sold by Dish Network retailers, should be handled by Dish Network. I could see having to deal with Archos if their "E" models were available at the local Best But/Circuit City, but they are not. I'll even go as far as to state the PocketDISH should be covered under DHPP. On a plus side, the PocketDISH has a 2 year warranty vice the standard 1 year Archos warranty. Anyway, here is a list of problem with Archos support:

1. Cannot register PocketDISH through Archos website (should register it through pocketdish.com)
2. On hold forever when calling the support line.
3. Cannot track repair/return status through the Archos website.

I am pretty sure that those early PD models will come down in price since Archos is set to release some pretty slick models later this year.
I love my AV700 unit. I bought mine before Dish invested in them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)