Pocketdish

mule401

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I have a Pcketdish 700 and yesterday I tried to get a movie and a hockey game to transfer from my dvr to my Pocketdish .It would not transfer so called Archos and was told that Dish sent an update to all dvrs that will not allow transfers to happen.Has anybody heard about this.Tried doing a search and couldn't find anything.Thank you

.It would not transfer so called Archos and was told that Dish sent an update to all dvrs that will not allow transfers to happen.

That would be kind of stupid since that's the whole point of the Pocketdish, to transfer your DVR recordings over to it. :confused:

Thats what I thought. I asked the rep what good was it then and he said I could transfer off my computer.

I sometimes have trouble getting my 700 model to turn on, but last night I charged it, downloaded two programs onto it from my 722, and it started right up to play them both. I checked again this morning, and it turned on with no problem, so no changes that I can see to what's downloadable or playable.

I am having the same problem. It starts then freezes up. Someone help please.
Have you taken the battery off and then back on? I tried that a number of times thinking it wasn't seating properly.

Unfortunately, when that didn't work any more, I did send it in for repair (details on the archos web site).

I tried the battery , firmware upgrades etc. nothing is working and no support from archos or dish on this issue. The customer service on this issue is very tough to swallow.

Theory....
Possible Dish breach of contract with Archos.
Archos devices will not work with EASTERN ARC.
If you are still on the old sat locations 110/119 standard definition is still mpeg2 and still works with Archos.
The new sat. locations use mpeg4 for SD and HD. The software in the 622/722 will not transfer mpeg4 because it flags it as HD regardless of what it actually is.
I just tested my new 705 wifi on my 622 with Eastern Arc and nothing will transfer. I tested it on a second Eastern Arc system, nothing transferred. I went to another friends house on the old 110/119 sat's and lo and behold it transfers and plays like advertised.
I called Dish and they pointed the finger at Archos and said they no longer supported Archos.
I called Archos and explained my results. Archos tech said they were getting more and more trouble calls and were going to look into my theory and possible Dish breach of contract.
So Those of you with Archos please post working/nonworking and which sat's you get.
Can anyone can post a copy/link of Dish/Archos contract.

I have a 705 at home and will give it a try this evening. Have about 4 shows that I need to download.

I know Cinamax will not download, but I think that is because they do not want their movies copied. Other than that (except for HD which I know does not download), it worked fine for me last week.

I bought a pocketdish av500 when they first came out directly from Dish, there was no service agreement with it. here is a link about E owning 25 % of archos.Echostar sinks $10M into Archos In the original owners manual there is a disclaimer of sorts that might not obligate them to any guarantee of compatibility with newer systems. here is part of it "Echostar technologies corporation will make available software updates to keep your Pocketdish as up to date as technically possible. Echostar technologies corporation makes no warranties with respect to the use of the supplied software downloads and specifically disclaims any implied warranties, including without limitation any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title or non infringement." I'm not a lawyer but this would seem to allow them to not guarantee to make anybody's pocketdish work with any of their systems in the future.

I guess breach of contract was just wishful thinking. Now I have to decide between Archos compatibility or my networks in HD on my newly installed EasternArc.
Is it possible to supply tuner 1 with 110/119 and tuner 2 with EasternArc???
Or I could simply feed 2 sets of sat's into an A/B switch and flip to 110/119 and do a check switch, download the new program guide, record program and transfer to Archos. Then flip switch to EasternArc, do check switch, download program guide, resume watching HD goodness.
Are you kidding me, it's just not worth it.
I guess I'll just spend more money on all the extra plug-ins and download all content.
Signed Frustrated

I've been seeing a lot of people with this problem on here, it is from a software update that dish network did. I don't think they did it on purpose but the only way to get them to fix it is call them and tell them you didn't have any problems untill they did the software update and get them to submit a report to engineering. I first had problems coping stuff from the dvr to pocketdish on 4-1-2009. I took my pocketdish to someone's dvr with an older software version and it works fine there. I once had this same problem in 2007, i had to call dish network a lot before they fixed it. I think the more people that call them about this the better chance we have of having them fix it soon. It is helpful if you can give them as many details as possible, software version, dates, dvr model. Then they can fill out their report thoroughly

This is a shame. If they ever got the new Archos models to work w/Dish HD DVRs such as my ViP722 boxes, I'd buy one. Then I'd take HD programs with me on weekend trips and vacations.

But I've heard of no progress on this. They're leaving money on the table.

And no, there's no broadband, not even decent 3G, where I go, so Sling wouldn't be an answer.

I've been seeing a lot of people with this problem on here, it is from a software update that dish network did. I don't think they did it on purpose but the only way to get them to fix it is call them and tell them you didn't have any problems untill they did the software update and get them to submit a report to engineering. I first had problems coping stuff from the dvr to pocketdish on 4-1-2009. I took my pocketdish to someone's dvr with an older software version and it works fine there. I once had this same problem in 2007, i had to call dish network a lot before they fixed it. I think the more people that call them about this the better chance we have of having them fix it soon. It is helpful if you can give them as many details as possible, software version, dates, dvr model. Then they can fill out their report thoroughly

You have little to no chance for a fix. DISH isn't supporting the pocketdishes any longer. Archos is doing all the service work on them.

Which version on which receiver?

I have DVR 522 with software version L532GALD-N. That is the DVR that is no longer working with my pocketdish. The other DVR that i went and used was my dad's, he has DVR 625 with software version L5321GALD-N. After dish network updated my software to L532 is when i couldn't copy stuff anymore. I tried on my dad's DVR after my software update just to make sure that was the problem and it still works fine on his.