Point me in the right direction?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SparksPA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
First off, sorry if this is yet another one of those newbie questions that has been asked and answered a thousand times. I have tried to do my homework but I am not sure that I have the right answer yet.

I was just about to pull the plug on Comcast (can't wait to fire them!) and go with Dish but I am glad that I waited. It looks like DirecTV is a better choice for me although I am watching what the final resolution to the FOX situation will be. Enough of that, for now at least...

I am located in Central Pennsylvania, Zip code is 16801. I think that I need to be able to see 101W, 110W and 119W for HD and locals. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can confirm that or find which additional Sats I need to be able to see? I looked at the SatMaps link above and have read through a LOT of threads and posts but still no joy.

I have that really cool DishPointer Pro app on my iPhone that lets me use the camera to "see" where the Satellites are positioned in the sky from my home but I need to know what to look for. With Dish, 129 and lower numbered satellites are no problem to see from the ideal dish installation location on my roof. If I need to get down to the neighborhood of 15W and 30W I may need to get out the pole trimmer - or a chainsaw.

Thanks in advance. I am sure that you will be hearing more from me as the DirecTV installation planning continues to evolve for me. Once I am comfortable and learn some more, in time I hope to be able to contribute to the forum, not just ask for help and then disappear.

With DirecTV, you only need the 119 sat for locals if they come from that bird.
In your case your SD locals come from the 72.5W sat. Which you will need for The CW.
DirecTV's uses 101 for core programming and 99 and 103 for HD.
Your HD locals come from 99W sat

Last edited:
OK, Thanks JD! I think that I am good to go with being able to see the satellites. The 72.5W satellite is a close call but I will be able to just see over a tree for a few more years at least. It can be trimmed when necessary, or sooner when we have some other tree trimming done by a professional.

Now it's off to find a glossary to find out what the heck "CW" is! :confused: Such a newob here! :D It's all good though. I am sure that I will stumble on more good info along the way.

FWIW, I am an active member of a similar type of web site (www.audiokarma.org) where I have a similar tenure and about the same number of posts as you have here. I do my best to help the new members too whenever possible. Being a newbie here makes me appreciate the feeling of being overwhelmed with questions and the enormous quantity of information already in the forums. Learning to navigate through it all is a daunting task in the beginning. It also makes me appreciate your help that much more.

Once again, thanks for helping! :up

With DirecTV, you only need the 119 sat for locals if they come from that bird.
In your case your SD locals come from the 72.5W sat. Which you will need for The CW.
DirecTV's uses 101 for core programming and 99 and 103 for HD.
Your HD locals come from 99W sat
actually all locals on 72.5 are mirrored on either 99 or 103. They dont use 72 anymore.

So the OP really only need a Slimline 3LNB that sees
99 (HD)
101 (SD)
103 (HD)

CW is the CW affiliate

checking more the CW the OP gets is the "national" version (CW Washington DC) thats on 101

WPSU 3 6 SW2 @99W wpsudt
WJAC 6 6 SW2 @99W nbchd
WWCP 8 6 SW2 @99W wwcpdt
WTAJ 10 6 SW2 @99W cbshd
CW 14 28 D4SorD9S @101W wpcw
WATM 23 6 SW2 @99W abchd
WKBS 47 2 SW2 @99W wkbs3416

Excellent! Thanks Iceberg! I don't recognize "CW" as a station that I have been able to get on Comcrap cable but I will be sure to see what it is all about before long. The other channels that you list I do recognize as being the locals. Some are available to me as OTA with a small antenna. 99, 101, and 103 are in a perfect location for me. There is a huge hole between the trees and they sit right in the middle! Yea!

Once again, thanks! :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)