Point-to-Point Satellite

doiron

Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Atlanta
Hi:
I live in Atlanta and my mom lives in Houston. Is there any way that my extended family could use FTA satellite technology to communicate with each other instead of using the Internet as a primary or backup in case of an emergency? If yes, can you please shed some light on free and/or paid services?

Thanks,
Jason

Reactions: spongella
Hi:
I live in Atlanta and my mom lives in Houston. Is there any way that my extended family could use FTA satellite technology to communicate with each other instead of using the Internet as a primary or backup in case of an emergency? If yes, can you please shed some light on free and/or paid services?

Thanks,
Jason

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. The only free option that comes to mind would be HAM radio, via HF radio or VHF/UHF satellite, but it requires an exam to obtain a FCC license. As far as paid satellite options, they include Globalstar, Iridium, Inmarsat BGAN, Viasat (Ka-Band) or Hughesnet (Ku or KA band options), or other KU band data services that run iDirect.

Sent using Tapatalk

Doiron: I think you are describing ham radio as already mentioned if you need free. Our FTA satellite is strictly for receiving broadcast stations or news feeds.

If you are thinking of a commercial device that would allow you to talk directly from your location to another location using only a satellite without any land-based infrastructure, then this is the type of solution that exists: IC-SAT100 Satellite PTT - Features - Icom America

This kind of device has monthly fees and hardware costs. It is primarily a solution for companies and not meant for 1 or 2 individuals wanting communication.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: spongella
Just curious but can video be sent over ham radio? Long ago I tried learning morse code... it wasn't pretty ;)

Reactions: N5XZS
Don't forget analog and digital fast scan TV can be used on 420 MHz and up.

Digital narrow band fastscan mode may be possible below 420 MHz with strong codecs like HEVC or different codecs modes.:)

Reactions: cyberham
If you use satellite to communicate, keep in mind there's a significant delay in transmission time (seconds) as compared to terrestrial systems (milliseconds) which can be quite annoying. If you have a ham license you could use IRLP, echolink, or DMR which are internet based. HF won't be as reliable as those technologies but will more likely be available should there be an interruption somewhere that will take down the internet stuff. I doubt that there's a linked VHF/UHF ham radio system between Atlanta and Houston that doesn't use the internet.

We have called megalink repeaters that are linked together thorough out state of New Mexico and far west to Tucson, AZ also far south to Mexican border.

Not only that go far east as to Clovis, NM and spills over to texas.

Go to north to Raton, NM just 5 miles south of Colorado also spills over into far north as Pueblo, CO.

Don't forget the APRS digipeaters link by using packet radio very widespread through out this country on 144.390 MHz FM packet mode!:)

If you use satellite to communicate, keep in mind there's a significant delay in transmission time (seconds) as compared to terrestrial systems (milliseconds) which can be quite annoying. If you have a ham license you could use IRLP, echolink, or DMR which are internet based. HF won't be as reliable as those technologies but will more likely be available should there be an interruption somewhere that will take down the internet stuff. I doubt that there's a linked VHF/UHF ham radio system between Atlanta and Houston that doesn't use the internet.
The latency for a single hop varies by location somewhat, in Alaska it is about 600 milliseconds (2/3 of a second).

The latency for a single hop varies by location somewhat, in Alaska it is about 600 milliseconds (2/3 of a second).
Correct not seconds, more like 600-800mills, just enough to be annoying at times, but for sure useful. It is done all the time through satellite internet such as HughesNet. In fact my "land line" is through Hughesnet. It had its hiccups when they first introduced it. Now however, you wouldn't notice it at all, if you weren't aware of it.

Reactions: 907TECH
Not sure if there is an advantage to services like Hughesnet if you already have an internet service, don't they still use a ground station that all the data has to go through before being sent back out? The service I am sure works great, but meant more for areas that don't have land-based ISPs, hence the higher cost of bandwidth?
Would be interesting to know if two customers would be able to communicate with each other through this type of service independent from land-based bandwidth if there were a commercial comms outage. This would assume both customers and ground station had power to run, either commercial or backup.

The ham radio option is quite complex. Learning the electronics and regulations to get a ham license can be a challenge for some. If you have a technical background that would help. It's not for everyone. It's a LOT more involved than picking up a phone and calling!
Having said that though, HF radio requires no infrastructure other than the stations at each end and power to run them. That is what makes it so valuable for emergency backup communication.
Radio waves are affected by the ionosphere which can be unreliable at times due to space weather (solar wind, CMEs), so that's not perfect either, but complete blackouts are rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)