Pointing dish HD for vip211z reciever

Whitelightnin3006

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Georgia
So I'm stubborn, and ain't gonna buy a tailgater, and ain't gonna call a technician. I wanna make this work myself. I can get sat 119. I can get sat 110. I haven't tried super hard to get 129 yet. The problem is, I can't get 119 and 110 all at the same time. So obviously my skew is off. My pole is plumb, elevation is right. I can get like a 60 signal strength on 119. If I run a check switch, I get 119 in the first slot then conn then conn. I've heard that means my dish is connected properly, but I'm just not getting a signal on the other 2 sats ? How can I get these other 2 sats? 119 with a good signal is where I should start right? Should it be in that 1st box when running check switch? Any tips or tricks? When I get good signal on 119,110 and 129 only say wrong sat. Is that right? I'm in GA 30286

Are you trying this with a Dish Western Arc 1000.2 dish? I haven't personally aimed on of those (I'm on Eastern Arc) but I've heard that putting aluminum foil over the outer LNB covers helps you lock in on 119˚ on the center LNB. You set the Skew and Elevation and it should be a simple matter of swinging the Dish 1000.2 back and forth to get 119˚ peaked. If it says Wrong Satellite, you need to swing it further to see if 119˚ will come in.

Having the mast plumb is key to making the Elevation and Skew settings work. Good Luck!

Cover the outer two lnb's with aluminum foil or a tin can, something that blocks signal and find 119 with the center lnb.

If your post is plumb and the skew is set according to the dish recommendations for your zip code, the other two lnb's should be looking at their respective satellites.

Your can get the proper skew azimuth and elevation settings from DishPointer - Align your satellite dish.

Elevation and azimuth are in the white box, skew is below the picture.

Reactions: TheKrell
Angles for WA for that zip are Skew 130, Elevation 36. Which LNBF do you have?
Sounds like you might be a touch low and to the right and are in fact hitting the 129, since you're only getting 60 for signal strength. Use Transponder 21 when you check signals on the check switch screen.

If you run check switch with nothing connected it will clear the switch matrix. Then hook up to port one on your lnb and start looking for 119 on transponder 21 as suggested as it is usually the strongest. No need to cover the other lnb's
And yes 119 should be in box 1 of the check switch results.
You have to make small adjustments and wait at least 30 seconds between movements as the 211k is real slow to lock signal. Nothing like the older receivers were. I used to keep a 301 receiver just to dial in dishes as they reacted much quicker.

Reactions: HipKat
So once I'm connected, and run a check switch, I should see the other 2 sats instead of "conn" on the check switch matrix, correct? And if I'm understanding this correctly, even though I'm getting 119,i may be getting it with the wrong lnb, so that's why the others won't line up? Also, once I'm locked on to all 3, will they show up on the signal meter as green? Thanks for all the responses so far!

In my experience, the multi-switch in the LNBF doesn't always default to 119 for the cable connected to it. If the 119 LNBF isn't electronically selected by the receiver, then blocking the 110 and 129 LNBFs will result in no signal. And if the multi-switch is selected to 119 LNBF, then the foil blocking is totally unnecessary.

The receiver needs to be selecting 119 LNBF, or in my case I had a meter that did the selection for me.

So this brings up a good point. Does it matter which port I have my coax plugged into inside the lnbf? I think I moved it from the left port to one of the middle ones. Will that affect anything?

If the switch matrix is cleared with your receiver the lnb is not controlled by the diseq commands from the receiver so the ports are 1=119, 2=110, and 3=129

So this brings up a good point. Does it matter which port I have my coax plugged into inside the lnbf? I think I moved it from the left port to one of the middle ones. Will that affect anything?
It doesn't matter. I use 3 to point with, but all three outputs are the same because of a built-in switch in the LNBF

So I hit 110,standing behind the satellite dish, with the left lnb. And I can get 119 with the left lnb. I'm covering the others with foil. I can't get the center lnb to hit anything. I'm thinking maybe a bad dish?

I think you've got that backwards don't you?

No, Tvland1 had it just right.

Dish1000WA.PNG

Sorry the images just now posted. It doesn't make any sense what you said because when I am standing behind my satellite and I'm locked on to 119 I can point it more to the east and a little further north and get to 110. What you said is basically the opposite. I'm not trying to argue or anyting I'm just saying with what I thought I knew and according to the screenshot I just posted where the satellites are in the sky what you are saying doesn't make any sense to me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)