Pointing of Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I moved my dish to a better location yesterday so I could avoid the limbs and leaves of a very tall oak. It seems the 1000 dish is more sensitive to this than my old 500. I now have a very clear, unobstructive view. My questions is this, I finally got a signal on the 119 and 129 but can't find the 110. I worked on it for over 3 hours yesterday and finally gave up and was pleased with the two signals. I know there have been posts on this and wanted to know if there are any suggestions on bringing in this elusive bird? I know there is a very fine line on tweaking this because it took the Tech over 3 hours when I had the 1000 put in back in March. He had a very hard time and moved the dish 3 times before finally getting a signal on all 3 sats. He also suggested I move the dish or cut down the tree, which I won't so I moved the dish. I called Dish to set-up an appointment next week to have someone come out to re-peak it and will get charged $49 for a service call. I know I can do this but need a little help. Thanks and Happy 4th!

If the mast was plumb on your original installation, the new installation is plumb, and you did not take anything apart or adjust the settings from the original installation, you should just have to set the azimuth (east to west) to find all 3 birds.

It is possible you are too far east or west and picking up 129 and 119 on the wrong LNBF's.

What type of switch are you using? Probably a DP34, but maybe a DPP44
What Switch Ports are the cables plugged into? 119 into Input 1, 110 into 2, etc...
What receiver model do you have?
But more importantly, when you run a Check Switch, what ports are listed for each Satellite?

EDIT: However, working on it for 3 hours, settings probably have changed. What is your zip code also?

Last edited:
When tech set-up originally he didn't input my zip code at all. He said it didn't matter so the settings are set at 00000. My zip is 95255. The azimuth is set at 90 on the dish. The switches I have are DPP Twin at the dish, the tech took my old SW21 with him because he said I no longer needed them. Port 1 is the 129 bird and shows green. Port 2 is the 119 bird and shows green with both showing twin swithces. Port 3 has no sat but shows "Conn" with an "X" and a dual switch. I currently have a 622 reciever and have no problems with it. The post wasn't as plumb as it should have and my new mount is much better. Thanks

Correct, it does not matter what the receiver says for the zip code, that is just to give you (approximate) settings for your location.

You have a "DP Plus Twin", with a "DP Dual" connected to it; and no external switches.

Generally, there is no azimuth reading on a dish, you should have scales, one for the elevation (on side of mount- up/outward and down/inward), and a second one for the skew (back of dish in a circle).

Port 1 = 129
Port 2 = 119
Port 3 = No Signal

Zip Code = 95255

When I first read your post, my first thought was that you were a little to far to the east and needed to turn your dish slightly westward. I still believe that to be true, and then your readings will be:

Port 1 = 119
Port 2 = 110
Port 3 = 129

Will check on:
.....Elevation:
.....Skew:

However, I do not have a Dish 1000 (or DPP Twin), but with what you have provided, I'm sure someone will respond with what you need to do, in the meantime I will see if I can get a little more info.

Last edited:
I also just got the dish 1000 put in and they will be coming back tomorrow because I lost the 129 signal. The installer was here 4 hours trying to get it.

Last edited:
Thanks, still working on it! My other question is, when doing a switch test should this be done BEFORE you go out and adjust the dish or after?

There's not a lot of info available on the Dish 1000. It is possible that the Dish 1000 uses the same settings (or close to) as the Dish 500, I don't know.

The Dish 500 using the following for zip codes 95200 - 95299:
...Azimuth = 154
...Elevation = 45
...Skew = 82

Do you have the book for the Dish 1000 to look up the SKEW and ELEVATION?

Before doing anything, we should find the correct SKEW and set it, then start adjusting from there.

If you have the book with the correct elevation and skew, then I think I would set those since your install is now plumb and the original was not.

Then I would take the cable from the "622 Sat In 2" and connect it directly to the DP Dual LNBF, and disconnect the second cable going to the Dish 1000.
Go into Menu 6,1,1 and set the Satellite to 129, and 30 should be good for the Transponder.
It should give you a reading without doing a check switch.

when you run your check switch it should read
119 110 129
All All All
OK OK OK

Once again assuming that you didn't remove the lnbfs that should be the way it reads remember that the Dp Dual will be on the 129 side

I had to remove the LBNF to re-wire. I just spent the last hour just trying to get back to where I was before trying to re-adjust. I am leaving it alone and will let the tech peak it out next week. The cost will be well worth it. I never had as much problems when I had just my 500 dish, it was easy to adjust. This 1000 is a real bi*ch!

This Problem Usually Comes About When A New Tech Attaches Cable To 11o Port On The Twin And Then Dials In 119 On The Point Dish Screen. Skip The Switch And Put The Cable On The 119 Port Then Go Direct To The The # 2 Input On The Receiver, Put Point Dish Screen On 119 Transponder 11 (input 2) And Go For Best Green Signal Strength, Hook Up The Rest Of Lnbs And Run Check Switch. It Is Easy To Over Complicate This.

They came out today and peaked out the dish. I wasn't there but my wife said that the tech told her my mount was a little out of plumb and that would make a big difference. She checked all of the channels and had them all come in well. When I get home this weekend I will check out all the signal strenghths to see how they are. The tech said I wasn't to far off but needed a plumb mast. Well worth the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts