Polariod 26" widescreen LCD HDTV review:

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Well I bought this LCD HDTV set about two weeks ago and I'm ready to review it now. First this set is 750 bucks in most Circuit City stores now to start. I bought this at my local Nashua Circuit City store on sale at a price of 699.99. I have the entertainment book for New Hampshire that had a 10% off any TV purchase over 300 bucks that I used. Also note this coupon does incluse a few TV brands such as a few Sony models among others but its very few excluded models so you should have good luck finding something. Also note that this coupon cannot be used with sale items or at least not officially. I was lucky enough to have a manager that was willing to take this coupon but I couldn't get the discounted wall month they had on special but that was good as I didn't want the wall mount. This was a very nice thing this manager did and it will be the reason why I will be buying many more products from them before another company. So I got 70 bucks off which brought this TV down to exactly 629.99. New Hampshire has no sales tax so that is the final price I paid for it.

All I can say about this unit is that I'm very impressed. I also read an article about Polaroid pushing into this market in a very big way and this model screams this.

First just to make sure we all know this is a Polaroid 26 inch widescreen LCD flat-panel HDTV TV. These are the specs below.

First this panel is a grade A panel which is the best panel you can get and it shows.

It has a native resolution of 1366x768p. It also has a contrast ratio of 1000:1 and a response time of just 8ms. The color quality is just amazing on this set and my Comcast HD feeds look much better than on my old HDTV.

Now onto hookups because this is what sets this LCD HDTV apart from all the others besides picture quality.

HDMI input with HDCP support.
2 component inputs with full HDTV support.
NTSC tuner.
ATSC tuner built-in with both an optical and coax audio output.
Back and side video input (composite + stereo).
1 rear S-Video + stereo input.
1 VGA input + stereo input to use this TV as a computer monitor.

Also if all your local stations send PSIP guide data the TV when used in the OTA HD input will allow you to view an onscrean program guide with the names of all shows and information about each show.

This TV also has side by side picture in picture along with normal picture in picture that can be used with any input above. So I could have my computer on one side and have my HDMI connected comcast box on the other side. Or any combo between the inputs above. But besides all of these inputs its the picture quality that I'm most impressed with because I just can't see many faults with this set. The price sure can't be a fault that is for sure.

If your looking for an LCD HDTV set you should at least try this set at home because you do have the Circuit City 30 day return policy because I know once you start watching this set and see what else is available you will quickly find how good this set is and nothing out in the market can match it at this price range. This means Circuit City won't be taking a return from you because you must find something better for the same price and that is what cannot be done at least not today.

On a rating from 1-10 this product gets a 10 simple for these two reasons below.

1. Price.
2. Inputs...find an LCD HD set as this price point that has all of these inputs (ATSC tuner, two component inputs, HDMI input with HDCP and a VGA computer input). Most of the LCD sets might have some but not all. Heck I've seen some sets that only had one component input for crying out loud.

I bought the same set from CC just over a month ago and I agree with you 100%. The model number is FLM-2632 and they also make a 32" and 37" version with the same features. It has an excellent feature set for the price, and looks pretty good as a computer monitor too. The main drawback is the poor audio quality of the internal speakers. I have mine connected via the headset jack to an inexpensive set of Yamaha computer speakers (with subwoofer) and that combination works great. I am thinking about picking up one of those cheapie 5.1 surround systems from WalMart to go with it - you know, the one they sell for about $40?

My brother works for the company that distributes the Akai branded LCD and plasma TVs. He was telling me that the Polaroids are absolute junk, using LCD panels from the cheapest manufacturer in China. I told him that it looks great to me, and in the store between a Samsung and a Panasonic looked like it had the better picture. The Akais I have seen, on the other hand, have all had a large number of dead pixels and some level of buzzing noise coming from the speakers. I haven't seen an Akai LCD in Costco since around Christmas, and I don't think WalMart carries them anymore either.

It was $699 when I got mine back in March. The 32" model was going for $1099 then. It does seem low, but I was not disappointed by the quality. The contrast ratio isn't as good as the more expensive brands, but is still very good for the price.

We got ours to use in the master bedroom so it is not the primary set in the house. When I finally get a new set for the LR I will probably get one of the bigger brand names. For the BR though this set is great. DVDs look really good on it, and the OTA tuner is better than the one in my 811 (doesn't take much LOL). Haven't tried video games on it - we only have a Gamecube for the kids. I would really like to see how an Xbox 360 looks on it. That seems to be the test these days for picture quality on an LCD TV.

My entire house is now flat-panel TV sets and I couldn't be more happy about it. I do think the speakers suck on this set but I didn't expect much as I've always used my surround sound system with it so it wasn't a big deal. I'm going to be using this TV also as a computer monitor via its HDMI input once I get my new Vista PC in the future when I know the video card will support HDCP over HDMI. I'm planning to buy both an HD DVD and blueray PC drive that will also come with a built-in cablecard 1.0 slot and I'll be using that with Windows Media Center that will be part of Vista. This will allow me to record HD shows and watch them in HDTV via this TV/monitor. I can also playback HD DVD and Blueray rentals from Netflix as well because as long as I have my handy remote control I'll be fine. Windows XP has been very very stable for me in the last year or so and I think its time for me to consider buying a brand new computer and use it as a true media center. Maybe just maybe a Quad Core AMD chip will be out in the next year because I'll be buying that sucker along with 2GB of fast RAM along with tons of hard drive space. I'm going to go all out. I'm going to buy 4 320GB hard drives and use them in RAID for backup only so I'll only have 640GB of storage. Beyond that I just bought a NAS storage box and put two 320GB drives into it so with RAID 1 that would give me 320GB of storage while knowing I'll always have a backup copy of everything. I'm planning to have my main windows vista machine hard drive being connected via the primary SATA connection with one 500GB hard drive which will be coming with the new PC. This drive will not be in RAID. I'll at that point be buying 4 320GB hard drives and will configure the secondary SATA controller as RAID 1 which will give me 640GB of raw pure backup storage capacity. So between this setup and my new NAS purchase I'll have 960GB of storage with every bit being backed up because if I'm going to spend that kind of money I won't skimp on backups that is for sure.

Because I know most of what I'll want to record will repeat I can record it at different times and once Comcast or Verizon offers a 2.0 cablecard I'll record two shows at once. If I can buy a Vista machine that can allow me to record two shows at once with a cablecard 1.0 card I'll go that route and I'll be more interested if I can use two of these cards at the sametime giving me 4 tuners at once I can use. Now that my Moto box has firewire I'll be sure to extract my recordings from the box and play it all back.

I've been thinking about this for a very long time and I think for the most part the time if right as this monitor can display everything at a native res of 1366x768 (my video card can output at this exact res) and I've played back some WMV HD content from the Microsoft site and it looks stunning to say the least.

I bought this LCD for myself a few weeks ago for the bedroom.

I couldn't be happier too for the price. I bought it from Circuit City when it was on sale for $699. So the only thing at this point that would make it a bust for me would be if it would die in a year or so.

So let's hope it lasts for a long time. I figured the $150-$200 extended warranty (I forget the exact cost) was too high for a $700 tv. If I get a few years out of it and it goes out, I'll go buy another $700 :).

The only thing I desire that this thing is missing is for the tuner to be QAM capable. But for $700, I can't really expect that. :)

Bought the FLM 3701 for the master bedroom.Price wasn't bad 1199.00,while it may not have the name like Sony,Samsung,it isn't a bad bed tube.HD signal is good and SD isn't bad either.The wife likes it--gives her the capability to watch HER shows "LOST" "AMERICAN IDIOT"(think thats how they spell it)"AMAZING WALK or RACE"

Last edited:
HI there. Just wondering...

-When having just one 13in BW TV was a luxury...
-When having that same TV in your bedroom was amazing...
-When having Color TV any size was frenzy...
-When recording your first tape was heaven...

AND NOW...

-Less than 25in is crap
-Walkman is crap, iPOD is king, 3000 songs at a touch...
-TV/VCR/DVD in every room is the minimum, so cheap...
-IF you dont have at least a dozen remotes...
-Nice to have LCD, DLP, Plasma, whatever...

Proud owner of VCRs, DVDs, TVs, LCDs, DLPs, whatever...
And of course PCs, NoteBooks, iPods, PDAs, DSL, A/C, wireless devices, celular,
VOIP, USB, fire-wire, Laser, InkJet, access points, micro-waves, bla bla bla...

Holly sh*t, what the heck is going on.
We are not happy with one, we need more, bigger, better...
When electric power is down, its like end-of-world... all that HI-Tek is garbage...

Homes are full of technology, remotes everywhere
HEY, I have a room full of yesterday technology.
Beepers, celulars, adapters, batteries, calculators, computers, remotes,
SAT receivers, clocks, eye-glasses, contact-lenses and drops, car parts, tires,
oils, lubricants, cloth, tools, wood, metals, books, comics, Radios, CB,

Tek everywhere, no way to escape, nowhere to escape.

Just wondering...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)