Polarity on 61.5 wing dish

Realtrain1

Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Currently I use a 1000.2 Dish attached to a VIP722. I have purchased all the equipment to avoid being lease locked. Additionally I've installed a 500 DPP wing dish adding the 61.5 satellite, after running the switch scan a signal is reported. My question is, does the wing dish need to be tilted to the arc (meaning setting the dish skew) 23.7 degree for my area. Does the LNBs have to be physically oriented for polarity with respect to the satellite, so that if I do not adjust the skew, then would polarity be off? Currently it appears I can only get the odd channels while testing in dish setup. When I flip thru channels for testing in the 900 channels...when I land on a channel requiring 61.5 satellite, then receiver will begin hunting only the even channels and eventually failing. Yet the switch test passed anyway during the initial setup, also the screen identified Echostar 61.5.

Thanks for any help....Mike

DISH uses circular polarity on 61.5 so no need to rotate the dish. Multisat dishes use skew to compensate for the difference in elevations between the various satellites.

It sounds to me like you might be using a LEGACY LNB instead of a DP DUAL. Check and see if you can find any DishPro marking on your LNB.

skew for 61.5

DISH uses circular polarity on 61.5 so no need to rotate the dish. Multisat dishes use skew to compensate for the difference in elevations between the various satellites.

It sounds to me like you might be using a LEGACY LNB instead of a DP DUAL. Check and see if you can find any DishPro marking on your LNB.

Yes maybe it seems. On the front of the 500 LNB is printed Dish P Plus...a twin LNB molded into one. One other issue is I am under testing only, last night the 500 dish finally arrived (A used dish). So I quickly ran what cable I had on hand from the 1000.2 to the 500. My distance is close to the limit of what I should use...about 90-100 feet away, plus I am using RG-59 (Beldon with copper shield)...a bit small I know...yet I was able to get a signal level of 70 on one of the transponders....cannot remember, maybe 5. I will purchase more RG-6 and do another test in a week or so. So my cables are above the ground for test purposes, then once system is fully functional will bury cables.

The voltage on the cable near the 500 dish was about 16 Volts unloaded. So I wonder if a voltage drop could be affecting the LNB operation. My main cable going to the 1000.2 is at least 200' maybe a little more.

Yes maybe it seems. On the front of the 500 LNB is printed Dish P Plus...a twin LNB molded into one. One other issue is I am under testing only, last night the 500 dish finally arrived (A used dish). So I quickly ran what cable I had on hand from the 1000.2 to the 500. My distance is close to the limit of what I should use...about 90-100 feet away, plus I am using RG-59 (Beldon with copper shield)...a bit small I know...yet I was able to get a signal level of 70 on one of the transponders....cannot remember, maybe 5. I will purchase more RG-6 and do another test in a week or so. So my cables are above the ground for test purposes, then once system is fully functional will bury cables.

The voltage on the cable near the 500 dish was about 16 Volts unloaded. So I wonder if a voltage drop could be affecting the LNB operation. My main cable going to the 1000.2 is at least 200' maybe a little more.

Well isn't this just a whole collection of issues. First off, even though it does work somewhat, the LNB input on the 1000.2 LNB (or any other LNB with an in port) is only designed for either a Dish Pro Single, or Dish Pro Dual. These are LNBs with the DP Logo on them with only 1 "eye". Use of the DPPlus twin is part of your problem.
Second problem is the use of RG-59 cable, especially of that length. I won't delve into this too much since you already stated you would be taking care of that.
Third problem is your distances. Maximum (rated) distance for dish pro is 200' from the furthest LNB to the Furthest receiver, and if I remember correctly, the maximum distance from a wing dish to a 1000.2 or DPPlus twin is supposed to be about 50' or so. Many people have sucesfully exceeded these distances, but most of the time these excesses require the highest grade cables (solid copper core, not copper clad steel, and definately NO RG-59 cable).
Your best bet is to get a hold of a DP Dual or DP single, and replace that RG-59 with RG-6 cable. Then see if all is well. If it is, well if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If not, repost here and well see what we can do to get things all straightened out for you.

DishPro has a spec of no more than 200' of total developed RG6 cable runs, and no greater than 80' of RG6 from wing dish to main dish. He can use a DP Twin as long as 61.5 is coming in through the 119 eye (Port 1) as no DISEQC commands are sent up from the main LNB to the wing LNB so no steering of ports is available. I don't know if a DPP would be functional but I suspect it would just behave like a DP Twin without any DPP commands.

RG59 is going to have a larger signal attenuation as well as a larger voltage drop. It simply isn't going to do in this case whereas you can get away with short distances in many situations.

I don't know why it is, but I have never had a system operate reliably on copper-shielded wire.

DishPro has a spec of no more than 200' of total developed RG6 cable runs, and no greater than 80' of RG6 from wing dish to main dish. He can use a DP Twin as long as 61.5 is coming in through the 119 eye (Port 1) as no DISEQC commands are sent up from the main LNB to the wing LNB so no steering of ports is available. I don't know if a DPP would be functional but I suspect it would just behave like a DP Twin without any DPP commands.

RG59 is going to have a larger signal attenuation as well as a larger voltage drop. It simply isn't going to do in this case whereas you can get away with short distances in many situations.

I don't know why it is, but I have never had a system operate reliably on copper-shielded wire.

Normally I would agree with you. A DPPlus Twin will not receive DiSEqC commands and should therefore output 61.5 Even & Odd from port 1 and [Non-existant in this case] Even & Odd from port 2. Unfortunately The power requirements of a DPPlus Twin are significantly higher than that of a DP Twin and much higher than an LNB IN port can possibly support, so voltage will drop to the point that the DPPlus Twin will drop into legacy support mode, and output 61.5 odds out both ports unless it receives a 22kHz tone or voltage high enough to bump it over to Even transponders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)