Pole, mount to roof, on the roof-which is recommended for Superdish?

harikrishnag

Original poster
May 19, 2004
Today Dish network guys came to my apartment and told that its not advisable to mount the superdish to the front of the roof, because of its big size. It cant be mounted because it cant sustain the wind blowing. But they suggested to go for on the roof installation. Is it true?
Since this is super dish is new, I guess the technicians are not trained for this.
My apartment managemnt only allows mount to roof option. So my question is "Is it OK for super dish with 'mount to front of the roof' option?"
Could you tell me your opinion?
Thanks

The installer I had seemed pretty well-trained on it and he said they really, really discourage roof-mounting. If you insist, some will do it I think....

Have you seen a SuperDish yet ?? Up close ?? They're like boat sails !! I have no doubt that wind load would be a problem.

For me, my apartment managemnt only allows mount to roof option. So my question is it OK for super dish with mount to front of the roof option?

If by front-of-roof, you mean the eaves or boards that cover the end of the rafters, I vote NO on mounting a SuperDish there - unless you can add enough lumber to the ends of the rafters to do the job right - soffit board ain't gonna do it - even for a Dish500.

We mount all of our superdishes on poles in the yard, and make a customer sign a waiver if they want it roof mounted...

we had too many damage claims with the legacy Tri-Beams in Philly to see what may happen say a big storm comes around. Roof mounting a 36" dish is a nightmare.

bcshields said:
We mount all of our superdishes on poles in the yard, and make a customer sign a waiver if they want it roof mounted...

we had too many damage claims with the legacy Tri-Beams in Philly to see what may happen say a big storm comes around. Roof mounting a 36" dish is a nightmare.

I wish you were my installer.

First one said he couldn't do a pole mount (ground wasn't marked for utilities).

Second one said they'd have to send a "hole digger" first, then a dish installer. Why don't you want a roof mount???

Troubleshooter says the same thing as second one. But I'd put it on the edge of the roof, the overhang, in case it leaks.

WTF? That really inspires confidence.

I've lost my locals bec. the current mount is behind a tree that decided to grow 2 feet in the 2 months since installation.

I can't decide whether to call back or not. I really don't plan to keep locals ... but I"m paying for them ... but if I've lost 105 eventually that tree will grow to the point where 110 and 119 are obscured ... argggh. I hesitate to put it anywhere on the roof, 1) because of potential leaks, 2) because of the dam tree that grows 2' per year.

Is there an easy way to tell where 105, 110, and 119 are located? The troubleshooter had a little box he looked through to tell him.

Does the pole mount require guy lines?

No Guy lines, check out www.basicinstall.com or dbsinstall.com to find a installer, you will see pole mounts there, it would a great idea to get the utilities marked first, maybe not there are way too many installers right now anyway : )

AcuraCL said:
Second one said they'd have to send a "hole digger" first, then a dish installer. Why don't you want a roof mount???

Troubleshooter says the same thing as second one. But I'd put it on the edge of the roof, the overhang, in case it leaks.

Sounds like he was just trying to get out of doing a pole mount. It is usually a little easier and faster to put in the house.

I know about a dozen installers and not a single one of us has ever had ANY training on a superdish install at all. I had to learn how to install them just by trial and error. Not surprising, I and other installers, had a rash of trouble calls during that same period of time.

When Superdish first came out, they didn't have struts to support it. We put a few on roofs like that (with just the mast to hold it up) and it didn't take long for problems to occur. About a month later, Dish started sending struts to help hold the Superdish in place. Those seem to work pretty good. It looks kind of like a tripod when it is finished.

Now we tell the customer they have the option of their Superdish on a pole (for an extra charge, of course), or on the roof with the struts. If you want the Superdish on the roof, just make sure the installer adds the two extra 'struts' or 'support arms' for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)