Pole or Roof

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yelloguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
My Directv installer is coming out tomorrow and I am torn between having him install the dish on my roof (its a single family house with only one floor so accessing the roof is not that big of a deal) or on a pole in my yard. I have a clear view of the south west sky from my yard and putting in a pole doesn't seem like a big deal going by the posts on this forum. I was also told that the installer will put a pole for 75 bucks. Even that does not seem like a big deal to protect my roof from a bad installation job.

Anyone care to comment on the reception quality or general maintenance problems associated with a pole install compared to a roof install?

Also, I have requested a two room installation to save the monthly costs of additional receivers. I was wondering if I should have them set up four rooms now and to save costs, I should discontinue two receivers couple of months later. If they want me to send the hardware back, I will do so. That will at least give me an installed outlet in my other two rooms to move my second receiver around. Thoughts?

Finally, any other tips you care to share? I am in Chelmsford, MA if that matters.

I prefer roof, however, like you mentioned, they need to do a proper job. My overall preference is a chimney mount (if you have one) - very difficult to screw that up.

Attachments

• Chimney-mount Antenna.jpg
    Chimney-mount Antenna.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 263
CPanther95 said:
I prefer roof, however, like you mentioned, they need to do a proper job. My overall preference is a chimney mount (if you have one) - very difficult to screw that up.
CP - I thought I'd show a lighter photo so that everyone could appreciate your utopian setup.... :D

Attachments

• Make up your mind on service.jpg
    Make up your mind on service.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 242
Not that utopian since Voom went under :(

Plus the E* dish (lower) has since been replaced by a second D* dish feeding another 5x8 multiswitch.

Of course, the best value is that $26 antenna on the top.

I prefer a pole mount on the ground. Every now and then we get a wet/heavy snow that builds up on the dish and the LNB's causing signal loss. Much easier to just go out in the yard and wipe off.

Hadn't even thought of snow. I think I will have to go with the pole option now.

How much is the recommended height of the pole? Well, maybe that depends on the line of sight, but assuming a clear view, how long a pole should I buy?

My installed supplied the pole so you might not need to. Anyway, mine is about 4 feet tall, just in case next door neighbor decides to put up a fence I'm still OK.

yelloguy,

I mounted mine on the fashia with the dish over top (actually on the roof, but the mast and support is on the fashia.
This way it cannot be seen from anywhere , other than on the roof,) it's a 1 story, so when I do get enough snow to bother it, I just go a few steps up the ladder and wipe it off.

Jimbo

Go for the pole. If you want to save a few dollars go and get a line post, the kind for chain lenght fencing. Bury it in concrete about 2-1/2 to 3 feet. Use a decent level and be sure the pole is plumb. Also flatten the end of the pole that you put in the concrete to stop the pole from spinning. To me $75.00 is a bit steep for a pole mount, then again, that depends on how far it is from the house and how much trenching is involved. Also, as mentioned above, pole mounts are easier for service, especially in snow and icy areas.

wobbie said:
Go for the pole. If you want to save a few dollars go and get a line post, the kind for chain lenght fencing. Bury it in concrete about 2-1/2 to 3 feet. Use a decent level and be sure the pole is plumb. Also flatten the end of the pole that you put in the concrete to stop the pole from spinning. To me $75.00 is a bit steep for a pole mount, then again, that depends on how far it is from the house and how much trenching is involved. Also, as mentioned above, pole mounts are easier for service, especially in snow and icy areas.

My buddy that had D* installed awhile back said that D* charges $ 1 per foot to bury drop.

Jimbo

we always use 1.25" Galvanized pipe 7 or 8 foot long... that gives you 2 or 3 feet in the ground and puts the dish at a nice workable height.

How about a conduit run? Does the installer still charge that dollar per foot? I'd rather buy a length of quality coax, compression fittings, and make the conduit run myself than pay for an installer to place coax just underneath the blades of grass.

I don't know about others here, but I put mine on a pole because I didn't want any unnecessary holes in my roof. Yes, the holes can be caulked, but that wears out and is a maintenance issue. No thanks.

I bought an antenna pole from Radio Shack, mounted it in the ground next to the house and anchored to the fascia. Been that way for years, no problems.

You guys who can do anything but a high roof mount kill me. Trees all over the place.

CPanther95 - nice setup. I've submitted it to the Mrs. as a prereq for our next home purchase. :D

rad said:
I prefer a pole mount on the ground. Every now and then we get a wet/heavy snow that builds up on the dish and the LNB's causing signal loss. Much easier to just go out in the yard and wipe off.

If the roof is not too high, a SuperSoaker works well to clear snow. Only takes a couple of good blasts of warm water (from the ground) and no more snow.

hancox said:
You guys who can do anything but a high roof mount kill me. Trees all over the place.

CPanther95 - nice setup. I've submitted it to the Mrs. as a prereq for our next home purchase. :D

Yeah, tell her you don't give a $hit whether it has a fireplace, but it damn sure better have a chimney. :D

Installer came and said that pole mount is not an option because the dish is HUGE. It is an international channles setup and the dish is a big oval one. It will have to be mounted on the roof. Then I had to reschedule the install since I wanted to go to the roof with him and it was raining heavily. Even though he was up for the installation, I was not and I had to cancel it for today.

I had him do the survey though. He looked young. (Aside: any idea about Directech guys? I am yet to search this forum.) He told me where he would run the wires and stuff. I am not very happy with wires coming down from the roof for the four separate rooms and the thought of drilling holes in the side walls makes me a little nervous. I might have him do two rooms via the attic by replacing the Comcast cable input (going into a splitter) with the Directv cables. Other than that, for the other two rooms, it will be cable coming down from the roof and into a hole in the wall. (Did I say that I changed it to a four room setup?)

Snow cleaning in winter also seems on the cards. There is a voice in me telling me to stick with cable but it is small and looks like it will be muffled easily. :)

yelloguy said:
Installer came and said that pole mount is not an option because the dish is HUGE. It is an international channles setup and the dish is a big oval one. It will have to be mounted on the roof. Then I had to reschedule the install since I wanted to go to the roof with him and it was raining heavily. Even though he was up for the installation, I was not and I had to cancel it for today.

I had him do the survey though. He looked young. (Aside: any idea about Directech guys? I am yet to search this forum.) He told me where he would run the wires and stuff. I am not very happy with wires coming down from the roof for the four separate rooms and the thought of drilling holes in the side walls makes me a little nervous. I might have him do two rooms via the attic by replacing the Comcast cable input (going into a splitter) with the Directv cables. Other than that, for the other two rooms, it will be cable coming down from the roof and into a hole in the wall. (Did I say that I changed it to a four room setup?)

Snow cleaning in winter also seems on the cards. There is a voice in me telling me to stick with cable but it is small and looks like it will be muffled easily. :)

The guy is a liar. He didn't have a 2inch pole to install the dish on or he didn't want to install a pole because it's more work.

grydlok said:
The guy is a liar. He didn't have a 2inch pole to install the dish on or he didn't want to install a pole because it's more work.

Oh good! I have the pole mount option with a large oval international dish. I will probably get the 2 inch pole and put it in myself.

I have seen the post about installing the normal dish on a pole (it is in the FAQ) but any clues on installing the oval dish on a pole would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

PS Liar or ignorant is debatable. You know, "never attribute to malice what can be explained by ineptitude" or something like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts