Pole or Roof

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For any large dish, a pole mount is the only way to go.

Bury the pole with concrete at least six inches below the frost line. This does not mean that the pole hase to extend below the frost line; just the concrete.

Depending on the type of soil, you will need 20 pounds or concrete or up to 80 pounds. If the soil is very very hard sand or clay, you will need less concrete.

If you can get one, get a power auger or an auger called a Seymour Iwan Auger. These are rotary tools, which allow you to "drill" a precise deep hole to avoid using a lot of concrete. A deep hole is better and will require a lesser diameter than a shallow hole. I've installed DirecWay 2-3/8" poles with a four inch auger "drilled" into the ground 36 inches with 30 pounds of concrete. Like a long lever arm, it was very very sturdy.

Get a one inch grey PVC conduit 90 degree sweep bend. Using a narrow garden trowel, dig a 3 inch wide notch in the side of the hole at the surface to allow running the cables protected up the side of the pole.

Place a $1 tail pipe clamp over the pole so that it will be buried about one foot from the surface with the pole installed in the hole.

Mix the concrete really dry, with only enough water to get it all wet.

Place the pole into the hole with the end open. Never place the pole into wet concrete. The bottom of the pole needs to be open. Pain water in a pole that does not escape will rust it out quickly.

Plumb the pole and check it often as you place the concrete. Using the garden trowel, place the concrete into the hole, while tamping it down hard with a stick around the side of the pole. Pound it with a sledge hammer as you check it for plumb and pack the sides with concrete. If you've used a narrow small diameter hole, the post will have become very very rigid, so that the dish can be safely mounted within a hour or so.

When you reach the level of the bottom of the notch for the conduit, place the sweep ell and pack the concrete around it.

This is the best way to install a pole.

Mike,

Thanks so much for such a wonderfully detailed post. I appreciate it very much.

Unfortunately, I could not find a 2-3/8" pole at Home Depot yesterday.

Also, I think I will call up Directv today and ask them if indeed they would mount to a pole. Otherwise, it would be a shame if I do all this and the installer refuses to use the pole.

Mike, look in the phone book and call a local retailer or dealer. I am sure that he would be more than happy to install the sytem the way YOU want it installed. Remember, it's your house, you're the one that is going to be paying for the service.... get it done the way you want it done.

yelloguy said:
Mike,

Thanks so much for such a wonderfully detailed post. I appreciate it very much.

Unfortunately, I could not find a 2-3/8" pole at Home Depot yesterday.

Also, I think I will call up Directv today and ask them if indeed they would mount to a pole. Otherwise, it would be a shame if I do all this and the installer refuses to use the pole.

Doesn't the AT-9 dish require a 2.0" pole? It doesn't mention pole size in the installation manual.

Don

I spoke with the installer. They confirmed that it *is* possible to mount the international dish on a pole and the installer would carry the stuff required to do so. But they wanted $75 extra for it and could not give me specs for the pole so I could do it myself. They said the installer would need a clear line of sight and they cannot tell me over the phone on where to install it.

The person also mentioned a chimney-mount and he said that is an option if I do not want a roof-mount. By the sound of it, a chimney-mount looks like the perfect solution for me since I wouldn't need to pay extra for it either. So I am going to try that as my first option and go for a pole mount for $75 as a second option.

Yellowguy,

2-3/8" diameter posts are sold at Home Depot as chain link end posts.

Commercial chain link fence dealers sell the same with better galvanizing and hever wall. Commercial 2 inch actual diameter posts ares sold as chain link line posts.

Check the yellow pages for chain link fence dealers in your area.

Thanks Mike, I will look it up.

Are there any side effects to chimney mount that I should be aware of? I was talking to a friend and he was saying that if I am not careful some cracks in chimney might cause structural damage to the house.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts