Police Pulled Me Over for Sirius Radio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RUSirius

Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
I've searched this forum and haven't found anything similar.

I was driving down the street at 30 MPH in the snow and behind me I saw lights and sirens.. yep, I was getting pulled over. :mad:

The cop asked me why I needed a radar detector in the snow, and it took 15 minutes of my day to prove to him that I didn't have a radar detector. He walked back and forth to his truck and determined that my Sirius sportster was setting off his radar detector detector.

I think he was lying, how could Sirius emit radar-like waves.

Anyone here have a similar experience? Please reply with your thoughts. I'm planning to file harassment charges if he was lying to me.

i have not heard of that. i know sometimes cops will pull people over if they see cords by their dashboards. do you live in a state where radar is illegal?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US and the satellite radio forum.

I think your peace officer would rather lie than admit a mistake. A common human trait, lol.

Well, it was about 11AM on a Sunday. Maybe he was lonely, I guss he didn't try too much when he saw my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat.

I do, however, have a sorta ghetto setup where the antenna wire goes out the backseat window to the roof. Maybe you've got something there.

dfergie said:
I think he was just trolling... if he found something illegal, he had probable cause because he "thought" you had a radar detector... 911 sure screwed up things...

Cops have been trolling for many years before 9/11...

My wife was actually pulled over and questioned about hers. As soon as she told him it was a Satellite Radio she was permitted to go.

Scott Greczkowski said:
My wife was actually pulled over and questioned about hers. As soon as she told him it was a Satellite Radio she was permitted to go.

My wife was questioned about it as well when she was pulled over for speeding. The cop tried to say how it may be blocking her view but I guess he decided the ticket for speeding was enough. She has the Jvc unit that we got from the deal here and it suctions to the windshield.

I purchased a used radar detector of a coworker a couple of summers ago and I no more than left the driveway and about 30 seconds later I was pulled over. He told me I had to mount it to the dash. I pulled it down and he let me go. A little while later I put it back and hadn't had any problems for a while. My cousin is a deputy Sherif was giving me a hassle because my radar detector was attached the window. He told me In Vermont you can't have anything attached or hanging from the window other than the rear view mirror ..NOTHING!!. I still have it attached to the window, but it rests on the dash. He told me that I could even get pulled over for having an air freshener! I told him he was nuts. Well several months later I got a call at about 8 at night from the company I install for asking me if I could go help out one of their installers who got towed and didn't have any money. When I got there I found out that he had an air freshener, got pulled over, didn't have insurance (he's from New hampshire) and they towed his vehicle. That was the biggest load I had ever heard. I had to shell out $180 for the poor guy. My XM radio service is hard wired into my head unit, but I have seen some of the mounts that are either on the dash or attached to the window. I know it depends what state your in, but I think it's funny that the cops who hassle are the ones with video cameras and everything else hanging on their window. "Do as I say not as I do" :)

LM

My Sirius suction cup was a tad smaller than the cup holder on the floor board of my Ranger. I forced it down in to it good and tight, then put three screws into the cup holder to secure it. It's in good and tight, secured to the cup holder in the consol, secured to the floor and out of sight. Cops can't see it through the window and thieves would have to look real close to see it.

Hmm.. I guess with both my radio and GPSr attached to me windshield (but resting on the dash) I need to look out for the fuzz.

This is why I live in Alabama

Not ripping on anyones choice of residenticy, but one of the main reasons I chose to live in Alabama (home state) instead of moving to greener pastures elsewhere is the cops just tend to crime only, not ticket writing on plain folks. That and most cops were raised here and tend to have the southern mentality of "live and let live". Well, unless it's about religion, politics, or racial issues, then we seem to come alive for good or bad. I hate that yall get messed with for just having XM and stuff.

Bama said:
Not ripping on anyones choice of residenticy, but one of the main reasons I chose to live in Alabama (home state) instead of moving to greener pastures elsewhere is the cops just tend to crime only, not ticket writing on plain folks. That and most cops were raised here and tend to have the southern mentality of "live and let live". Well, unless it's about religion, politics, or racial issues, then we seem to come alive for good or bad. I hate that yall get messed with for just having XM and stuff.

Yeah, but all the liquor stores are state run and owned there. It's a control state, I always hated that fact because I had to drive over to Louisiana (the only state in the union where drunk driving is a sport LOL...) from mobile to get decent wine. Other than that and the state income tax, it's a great state. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)