Poll: How long until Viacom/Dish settle?

I doubt it will go on more than a week.

I had to laugh when Charlie started talking about all the bandwidth that would be freed up by Viacom's departure, and that would mean they could add a bunch more channels...

They'll kiss and make up, and in a few days will release a statement that they've come to an agreement.

Hopefully they'll make up before April 4 when my 2 months in advance payment ends or I might have to switch which I don't want to do since Im loving the service.

I thought it was funny that Charlie mentioned the Oxygen channel as being added, when you consider that suppossedly they are asking to much for carriage of their channel as well. That was always the reason why that Dish wouldn't add it before. The same thing about PBS KIDS. " We already have their content on our other channels like Noggin , NIckelodeon etc. " Wait a minute maybe they will add that one since they don't have those channels any longer. I did notice that that Noggin , my 3 year olds favorite channel is not even listed in the guide any longer at all. Maybe they will soon replace this one for good.

it will be less than a week.

Both of them need each other...they played this big game of chicken and found out that neither budged. Viacom thought Charlie wouldnt pull the channels, and Charlie thought Viacom wouldnt make him pull them.
Well it happened....their temporarily gone. They'll get it figured out and hopefully have them back up by Saturday.

MikeD-C05 said:
I did notice that that Noggin , my 3 year olds favorite channel is not even listed in the guide any longer at all. Maybe they will soon replace this one for good.

It looks like the channels that were on 110 just dissapeared and the ones on 119 have the slates up. My kids (ages 2 and 3) were heavy noggin and nick viewers during the mornings.. My wife is pissed at both Dish and Viacom.

Pissed off wife...

My wife is gonna kill someone...it better not be me. Just switched from cable last year and it has been ok...but I have 2 kids and my wife who spend lots-o-time on those channels. The boys will notice...but my wife will kill. Last night we were watching Real World/Road Rules Challange(laugh if you will) and a message from viacom saying.. dish wasn't gonna pay.. started rolling on the screen and within seconds Dish blacked out the portion of the screen that had the rolling message...and my wife said...I better not miss my Real World tomorrow...and I said... surely you won't...I am pretty much up a creek...Dish is... going, going, gone.. in my house if they don't get this fixed asap!

Torqd said:
My wife is gonna kill someone...it better not be me. Just switched from cable last year and it has been ok...but I have 2 kids and my wife who spend lots-o-time on those channels. The boys will notice...but my wife will kill. Last night we were watching Real World/Road Rules Challange(laugh if you will) and a message from viacom saying.. dish wasn't gonna pay.. started rolling on the screen and within seconds Dish blacked out the portion of the screen that had the rolling message...and my wife said...I better not miss my Real World tomorrow...and I said... surely you won't...I am pretty much up a creek...Dish is... going, going, gone.. in my house if they don't get this fixed asap!

I know how you feel. My grandma called me on Sunday asking about it. She saw the scroll on the local CBS (which is O&O) and asked. I told her CBS probably won't leave.
Today at 8AM she called me at work. She asked me only as my grandma would......"Where the F*** is Channel 4??? (that's WCCO)". I explained what happened and Grandma is pissed. "I better not miss my soap" (young & restless).....I think I better run for the hills around 11 this morning and not answer my cell.

I gotta say that I do not have a good feeling about this. I too have 3 children that live with Noggin and Nick. When I told my wife what was happening, she was not happy at all. Let E* or Viacom try to explain to my wife, who has to stay at home all day with 3 kids, why she won't be able to get a break from the kids.

Sure, she can read to them, play with them, color with them, but in the end, she also needs some time to take care of the other things that she will need to do, like cooking dinner, or even just sitting down to relax.

I can tell you that if E* does not get this issue resolved within 2 weeks, I will be firing up my old D* receivers.

I can not say the CE is wrong for what he is doing, but neither can I say that he is right. I have to believe that both parties here are partly to blame.

CE should have seen this coming and instead of raising our rates in February, maybe he could have waited until this negotiation was completed, then he could have incorporated any increases with the scheduled increases.

No, I do not want to pay more, but I bet if we would have paid an increse of $3 in one shot, it might not have been as much an issue as if we paid a $2 increase and then 2 months later paid another $1-$2 increase

Again, I do not want to pay more, but I (we all) may have to (whether with E* or D*). Eventually, Viacom will get some increase, whether it be 5%, 10% or 40%, and either way CE will pass those cost onto us.

So if I go back to D*, I will pay more now, but if I stay and wait for E* I will pay more down the line. (I think we all will)

I know, may not be popular, and I do not want to leave Dish, but just as CE has to do what is best for his pockets and company, I have to do what is best for the harmony and equilibrium in my family.

It really all comes down to who can stand the pain the longest..
Viacom is expecting $27 Billion in revenues this year, and with the lost revenues from Dish dropping these channels, it costs them $2 million a day in lost advertising. If this lasted all year, it would represent a 2.7% drop in their expected revenues.
Dish would have to lose about 243,000 subscibers to have the same 2.7% drop in revenues for the year.
While Dish can still add subscribers, I dont feel there really is any other place left for Viacom to distribute its content where they dont already do so.

It seems as though Dish might be in a better position here....regardless...I still want the channels back :no

they won't settle.........why you ask?

because my family watches most of those channels!
I can't go home because I'm a dead man!

I have already gotten the so and so has all these channels
& my smart ass know it all teenager:
"this wouldn't happen if we had cable" :shocked :yikes !sadroll

Has anyone else noticed on Spike TV that every so often right before their commercials they post a slate and a message saying that DISH is trying to take away Spike TV and to call DISH to complain?

Oakenshld said:
It really all comes down to who can stand the pain the longest..
I agree.
Dish is in a much better position here. The effect is immediate for Viacom. Advertisers are going to demand a refund due to the loss of viewers. The effects will take longer for Dish to feel.

My guess is they will settle with a compromise that leans more in favor of Dish.

Big Bob said:
I agree.
Dish is in a much better position here. The effect is immediate for Viacom. Advertisers are going to demand a refund due to the loss of viewers. The effects will take longer for Dish to feel.

My guess is they will settle with a compromise that leans more in favor of Dish.

I think this will also bite DISH quite a bit. I called Directv to get a price this morning and waited 10 minutes to talk to someone. They said that Dish customers had been flooding them to switch. This was at 7am EST this morning. Dish networks website has been unreachable for me 1 out of 5 tries every time I try to get to it. Also, My wife, kids and I have long memories. I will be leaving DISH as soon as my contract is up regardless of the outcome. Of course if they put Nick and Noggin back on and send me a free 921, maybe I'll stay. :D

I'm just curious, during the time that the channels are gone (this week), will the packages change back to America's Top 50, Top 100, Top 150, and America's Not Quite Everything Pack?!?!?!

~Alan<~~~~~~~Who is just kidding...

They are violating our contracts

This is from the Residential Agreement posted on the Dish Network site:

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer,
and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you,
we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date.
The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B.
In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services,
you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming,
programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted,
rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to
any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages,
or other Services previously offered.

B. Notice. If we send you notice, it will be considered given when deposited in the U.S. Mail,
addressed to you at your billing address or hand-delivered to you.
Our notice to you will also be effective if provided on your billing statement or by telephone.
If you give notice to us, it will be deemed given when received by us at the address listed on
the first page of this Agreement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts