Poll: What Exact Event Marked the Ultimate Decline of ABC Sports

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
In other words (when did ABC Sports "jump the shark":p), how can a proud legacy that Roone Arledge, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Jim McCay, Chris Schnekel, and Howard Cosell help build dating back to the early 1960s, disenergate to the point in which ABC now, has pretty much shut down their independent sports division and allowed ESPN to buy time in their network?
:confused:
*Cap-Cities buying the network (circa 1985)

*Disney buying the network (circa 1996)

*"Wide World of Sports" in its original format, gets cancelled (circa
1997-1998)

*ABC loses the rights to both Olympic Games following the 1988 Winter
Games in Calgary

*ABC "gives" "Monday Night Football" up to ESPN (circa 2005-2006)

*ABC loses the rights to the Triple Crown to NBC (circa 2000-2001)

*Roone Arledge steps down as the president of ABC Sports (circa 1986)

*Keith Jackson retires and Al Michaels moves to NBC (circa 2006)

*George Bodenheimer becomes head of ABC Sports (circa 2003)

*Howard Cosell gets fired (circa 1985)

*Other

ABC_Sports_Tribute_Page : The ABC Sports Tribute Page

This probably happened when ABC decided they were losing money or when they BOUGHT or BUILT ESPN ....whichever happened.
If it was ABC has always owned ESPN and built them, then I see nothing wrong with ABC.
This was probably thier idea in the beginning so ABC could stay in the "National " "topics and has ESPN for the Sporting side of things.

They still have top notch College Football, although I think CBS is still better.

Jimbo

They didn't build ESPN. They bought them out I think in the 90's.

I'll say when ABC gave up Monday Night Football.
Yeah the change in MNF was rather disconcerting to me as well. I just wish they would move up the time back to 8pm. I hate having to stay up until almost midnight to watch an entire game.

Another unfortunate consequence of the move to ESPN on Monday is that we have to deal with Sunday Night Microblocking/Football on NBC.

The decline of ABC Sports lasted more than 2 decades, but these three events pushed them over the edge and into a free fall IMO.

Howard Cosell gets fired (circa 1985)​
Roone Arledge steps down as the president of ABC Sports (circa 1986)​
ABC loses the rights to both Olympic Games following the 1988 Winter Games in Calgary​

The decline of ABC Sports lasted more than 2 decades, but these three events pushed them over the edge and into a free fall IMO.
Howard Cosell gets fired (circa 1985)​
Roone Arledge steps down as the president of ABC Sports (circa 1986)​
ABC loses the rights to both Olympic Games following the 1988 Winter Games in Calgary​
Agreed!:up

I think it's when around 96 when EVERYTHING ABC did had an ESPN feel to it. Now, especially, ESPN on ABC, give me a break.

Injecting any sport and any network with ESPN basically gives that network and sport cancer. The NBA coverage since ESPN/ABC took over for NBC really sucks. TNT's basketball coverage is 10000 times better. When ESPN took the MNF, they put the worst announcers in football history on now, and we have to hear from an incompetant, loud mouth windbag, Kornholio...err Kornheiser. Now they got Nascar and they are starting to trash that sport. I mean, it wasn't enough how ESPN already ruined on racing league (IRL) and their constant over attention to one racer because that racer has nothing in between their legs! Look how bad the NBA draft coverage is! Stuart Scott is awful and Steven A Smith is just pathetic. Everything they do sucks!

Injecting any sport and any network with ESPN basically gives that network and sport cancer. The NBA coverage since ESPN/ABC took over for NBC really sucks. TNT's basketball coverage is 10000 times better. When ESPN took the MNF, they put the worst announcers in football history on now, and we have to hear from an incompetant, loud mouth windbag, Kornholio...err Kornheiser. Now they got Nascar and they are starting to trash that sport. I mean, it wasn't enough how ESPN already ruined on racing league (IRL) and their constant over attention to one racer because that racer has nothing in between their legs! Look how bad the NBA draft coverage is! Stuart Scott is awful and Steven A Smith is just pathetic. Everything they do sucks!

OK... I see your point....

but things could be a lot worse.

BTW, the part I bolded- low-blow.

That's a little too far.

Just for the record, ESPN is owned 80% by ABC, but ABC is the managing partner. It simply has to write Hearst Corporation a check for 20% of the profit every year.

As to when ABC Sports went ker-plop, IMHO, it was when it gave up on the original Wide World of Sports concept of a weekly show with lesser sports.

When Disney bought majority ownership of ABC. That's when Michael Eisner and his reign of terror destroyed anything good about ABC Sports.

OK... I see your point....

but things could be a lot worse.

BTW, the part I bolded- low-blow.

That's a little too far.

We all know sex sells. I don't think jamesalan9 was that off base with the statement. Do you really think a male racer that has won exactly one professional race would receive as much attention as Danica?

We all know sex sells. I don't think jamesalan9 was that off base with the statement. Do you really think a male racer that has won exactly one professional race would receive as much attention as Danica?

Dale Jr comes to mind. Up until this year, what has he done the past years to deserve all the attention that he gets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts