Poll: Will you wait for the 942?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

passing_ships

Passing Ships
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area. CA
It sounds like the 921's are starting to roll out and back orders will be filled within a month. Given the problems of the 921 (many yet to be resolved), will you plonk down ~$1000 and buy one now or are you going to wait for an indeterminate amount of time for the 942 to be released with the promise of more stable software, perhaps even at a lower price?

How stable can it be? The 522 seems to have it's share of bugs ,hence all the threads on 522 software bugs.

Still the same I might be interested in the 942. I just wish the 921 had the hd and sd chip at the same time capability. I hate having to turn to another input just to get sd in my computer room . My tv doesn't have easy access inputs. I have to have the TV remote just to be able to switch inputs. I have to have my A/V receiver remote to change the sound outputs from my 921 to my dvd recorder since I have my s-video from the 921 hooked through it. I now use 3 remote controls to do the same thing I used to do with one. The 942 would be ideal for my living room hd tv and computer room sd tv. :cool:

I will wait for the 942 to come out to see how much lower in price the receiver will be, to see how many hours of HD will be available, see how much more HD content will become available, and see how much the HD programming will be once more HD channels do come out. I still think there are a lot of improvements to be made when it comes to HD products and service.

I will look at the 942 if and when it comes out and compare price, HD size, and quirks. If it stacks up better than the 921, I'll switch. At least I have an HD recorder now...problems or not. ;)

The 942 will probably be a lease only receiver as with anything else dish probably plans. So if that comes ture, I would deffinetly get one

Dish may make an exception with this receiver seeing how expensive it may be (unless they can get a large sum for upfront cost out of you to get this receiver and it still be a lease). I would say that they would need $200-$300 in order to lease this receiver (or the price difference between what the 942 will costs and what the 522 costs.

I'll likely wait for the 942. I don't mind missing out on all the 921 bugs but I still wish I had one now. But my plan was always to wait a year before buying the 921. The advent of the 942 is simply gravy for me and will maybe increase my options when the time comes.

Truly the biggest reason I have not yet purchased an HD PVR (had 6000 and now an 811 - with a 721) is the inability to dump HD to tape OR upgrade the drive space. 25 hours aint gonna cut it for me. The plan would have been to sell both 811 and 721 and replace with 921/942. But now it looks like I'll need to keep the 721 with a 921/942 and decide which show have "compelling enough" content to be worthy of HD disk space.

I am waiting for them to debug the 921, fix the guide for OTA, and make it more available. If the 942 comes out before, I may just get it. The 921 is useless without an ota guide for recording HD.

Wait there are actually people assuming that the 942 will have "stable" software?

Other than my 510 which has been surprisingly well behaved, none of E*'s "Cutting Edge" receivers have EVER been stable. The 7100/7200 only became fairly stable AFTER they were discontinued. I gained a generational leap in functionality with the 921 (I could actually WATCH HD content on my HD monitor), but there is no similar leap with the new unit and actually a few function steps backwards (one less OTA tuner?)

It could be 18 months before the 942 is considered fairly stable by its owners..... I'll keep the 921, warts and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts