Pondering about DVR

claus

Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
I'm subscribed to a foreign language package (2 channels), have the super dish and the 311 receiver.

I'm thinking about DVR since I don't want to schedule my viewing habits around the TV schedule and at the times I watch sometimes uninteresting programming is broadcasted.

Options that I found are:
a) get a dish network DVR
b) get tivo
c) record with a VCR
d) record with computer

a) The forum and e-bay talks about the refurbished 501, 508, and 721 that apparently don't have an additional fee. However, when I inquired with customer service about this they restate that there is a fee for all DVRs. With that I'm concerned that either I won't be able to activate these receivers or I'd end up paying the monthly fee. Being stingy I'd like to avoid that fee.

b) Tivo has the advantage that I also could record local programming that I receive via the antenna. Also there is the option of schedule program recording via the internet, which sounds very intriguing. However, to get the programming guide I'd have to subscribe or pay the lifetime subscription. So this option get's really costly.

c) The cheapest method. The 311 supposently can turn the recording on and off via its guide. The negative thing is that I'd have to change video tapes and am limited to their size.

d) I have a computer that I could hook up to record programming. The only thing I'd have to buy is a capture card. However, this computer is also used for other things and not quite convenient.

I guess most of this I'd have to answer for myself but I really would like to know how the activation process works for the 508 as that option seems to have a nice balance between cost and features if the monthly fee can be avoided.

As of this moment, there are NO DVR FEES with a 501, 508 or 721 no matter what the CSR says. All other DVRs with Dish do have a $5 fee. HOWEVER...if you use the new DVR as a second receiver rather than replace the 311 receiver, then there will be a $5 additional receiver fee. The additional receiver fee would apply anyway.

I currently have a 721 and a 501 and do not pay any DVR fee.

Welcome to Satelliteguys.

See ya
Tony

Hi, You mean other than the above mentioned receivers Dish does charge the monthly fee? They told me they charge $5/mo. on a 510. Hum.

The 501's, 508's and the 721 do not have a fee. The 510 does have the fee, the 510 is bascially a 508 with a larger hard drive.

I bought my 508 off of ebay, and really enjoy it. It's really the only reason I signed up with dish, because of this no fee reciever. Like someone else said, get the card and R# before buying and call dish to make sure there isn't a bunch of PPV charges on the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)