Poor 110 Sat reception

J45p3r

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
I have a Dish 500 with a 300 receiver. The 119 satelite comes in perfect for reference. Within the past 6 months I have had issues with channels on the 110 satellite. Sometime the channels come in fine, sometimes they pixelate and sometimes they don't come in at all. In the signal meter I can see that the signal quality is very low 30-40.

Nothing with the dish has changed in this time. However, it does point very near a large Birch tree in my yard. I realize this may have grown so that it is now in front of my dish. Still though, now that the leaves are thining I expected the problem to get better. It hasn't. There are still a few leaves left, but the problem is just as bad as ever.

I pulled the LNB out of the dish and checked for insects and it was clean as a whistle.

Is my problem still likely the tree? An alignment issue? Bad component?

Thanks~!

These are the numbers I just pulled off the install screen:

Sat 119
TP-11 = 103
TP-12 = 100

Sat 110
TP 11 = 55
TP 12 = 67
TP 25 = 42
TP 31 = 40

Right now I can get channel 323 (Showtime Beyond) but not 214 or 224 all of which I believe are on 110.

since the 119 is good, it sounds like the tree is in the way

I'm assuming the receiver is a 301? (you put 300 and there isnt a receiver with that model #)

ok :)

reason I ask is the 3000 (and the older models) had a signal bar of 125, but would max out at 100 (the spotbeams would get 102-103)

just wanted to make sure the 58 was on a scale to 125, not 100 :)

I wouldn't rule out that it could be an alignment issue. I would see if you have accessabilty to your sat dish, if you could slightly repeak your dish. The 110 sat is usually harder to get a good signal than the 119 sat. Usually if you peak your dish for the 110 sat the 119 sat will also be strong enough. Just make sure you mark your original settings in case you mess up.

Thanks, looks like I'll be moving it up to the Peak of my roof rather than the lower edge. Fun fun :)

styxfix said:
I wouldn't rule out that it could be an alignment issue. I would see if you have accessabilty to your sat dish, if you could slightly repeak your dish. The 110 sat is usually harder to get a good signal than the 119 sat. Usually if you peak your dish for the 110 sat the 119 sat will also be strong enough. Just make sure you mark your original settings in case you mess up.
I'm not sure how to really go about all that... The dish was installed by an installer. I may mark my settings and give it a shot.

By using a pencil or thin marker pen you should be able to keep track of the original position. Moving a dish is pretty simple just beware that a 1/8 of an inch is a lot of movement. You may have to move the elevation also. I would see if you can get any more signal on the 110 by sighting on it. Start with the azmyth first then try elevation.

If things don't improve much then there may be a bad connection somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)