Poor experience with Dish install

CFLUSFLWFL

Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I am a long time Directv subscriber and wanted to go to HD. Since Dish offered me the best deal, I decided to take the plunge and order HD from them. Anyhow, I made my install appointment 3 weeks ago. I contacted Directv to have them shut off my service to coincide with my billing. That was yesterday, no problem, I can live without TV for 1 day. The Dish installer was to show today between 8 and Noon. He calls me at 10:00 saying that they have no HD receivers in stock and that I would need to reschedule an install. I ask him why they didn't realize they had no HD receivers until today. He says "I don't know". Brilliant answer. I understand that things happen, but how do you suddenly realize that you have no receivers? Couldn't he have called me a few days before? I was really irked, as I had cancelled Directv and also taken down my Directv dish from my roof. I called Dish and explained the situation, they said that they did not blame me for being upset and they could get someone there by Wednesday. I was so mad, that I said "no thanks, cancel my order". They did do that. I called up Directv and said I wanted to reactivate, they told me that I could upgrade to HD for only 19.99 shipping and free install. Goodbye Dish. It is too bad that they don't have more control over their installs, as they lost someone who was willing to give them a chance.

I had a horrible time so far as well. The installer even UNINSTALLED my dish and LEFT!!!
All because we had a pad built for our house and it is all clay dirt!! It was still muddy from
a rain and I asked the installer to remove his boots, since it is a new house with carpet. He thought that was very funny and said No, I don't have to remove my boots. He took his things and LEFT!

I had a horrible time so far as well. The installer even UNINSTALLED my dish and LEFT!!!
All because we had a pad built for our house and it is all clay dirt!! It was still muddy from
a rain and I asked the installer to remove his boots, since it is a new house with carpet. He thought that was very funny and said No, I don't have to remove my boots. He took his things and LEFT!

Somewhat same thing happened to me. I wanted to have some cabling installed, I clearly explained this to dish. The guy shows up. He starts to move my reciever from downstairs to upstairs. I tell him that I wanted him to drop a cable, that's what I told Dish. He just gets completely pissed off, he replaces the receiver back to the original place and just leaves. I eventually did the job myself but I couldn't believe the behavior of this guy. I think these corporations are really flexing their muscles knowing that consumers are out of options. Oh well, it was bound to happen I guess.

Here in my area we have had some very bad storms that has caused quite a few receiver failures, which has caused us to have low to no inventory on receivers. We have chose to take care of our existing customers, and work with new installs and upgrades customers, letting them know the situation of our inventory problems. I know this is not the same exact situation, but just because an installer does not have the best answer you want to here, does not mean it is is fault that he can't perform your install. The blam would be more of an office/schedualer fault for not calling ahead and letting you know. On the other hand, if I were to be honest, I would have been just as mad as you, because I didn't get what I wanted when I wanted it!

I am an easy going guy, but for some reason, this really upset me. Customer service is going the way of the dodo bird. Like was said in another reply, they should have called before the day of the install. I realize things happen, but please give me enough respect to keep me informed of why/what is going on. I long for the old days of buying the stuff and installing it youself.

perhaps you are not familiar with rules and regulations with osha. tech has to where his boots at all times. i take it everytime someone at your work asks you to do something that could cost you your job, you comply.

perhaps you are not familiar with rules and regulations with osha. tech has to where his boots at all times.

That's a funny...

Wonder what will happen with the "boots" when an installer opening the door, and there standing a blonde in her birthday suit... telling the installer... when I finish thanking you for your service, you can installed the dish.

Yeah man thats when you gotta whip out the bootie covers. Some houses I would put them on anyways because I was scared to walk in even with my boots. I guess some people dont like to ever clean their house. Gotta love the fashion as well.

No, Not familar with OSHA, but Dish Did Not have his attitude and gave me $60.00 off my bill and I have had tons of apologies, so I don't think that is a requirement??
I would never walk on someones carpet new or otherwise with clay mud all over my shoes.

I take my shoes off. OSHA doesn't pay my bills, they can go pound sand. Some houses I just routinely take off my shoes without having to be asked. If I'm in a paki's home, I remove my shoes right away because I know it's their custom. It can be a ten minute ordeal in some cases, so I just get right to removing them, especially if the carpet is light in color.

No, Not familar with OSHA, but Dish Did Not have his attitude and gave me $60.00 off my bill and I have had tons of apologies, so I don't think that is a requirement??
I would never walk on someones carpet new or otherwise with clay mud all over my shoes.
Whether or not the Customer service person you spoke with knows the rules or not, if your tech was an internal DNS tech he is specifically forbidden from removing his boots for safety reasons. However, they are also supposed to be carrying the aforementioned boot covers to put over muddy/dirty/wet boots to prevent carpet damage. Also keep in mind that your tech's attitude will greatly vary depending on your attitude. I was not there so I don't know what tone of voice you used in asking him to remove his boots, but judging from his response, it was either pretty rude, or the tech was just a peice of work. For example, If I walk into a house first job of the day, boots clean besides walking on a customer's driveway, and the customer looks at me with digust, and tells me I need to remove my boots, I'll just quote the rules and let them decide if they want to let me into their home. If, on the other hand, the customer is polite about it (or if I know my boots are dirty), I'll gladly offer to go get my boot covers.

perhaps you are not familiar with rules and regulations with osha. tech has to where his boots at all times.

That's a funny...

Wonder what will happen with the "boots" when an installer opening the door, and there standing a blonde in her birthday suit... telling the installer... when I finish thanking you for your service, you can installed the dish.

Where can I find these customers?

When I had Dish, the guy who install my Dish did not want to do their job. They claim they did not bring a ladder (LOL, how professional)!!! They want to come by 3 days later to get the work done. I told that guy either you get your equipment and job as suppose to done on time or else, I report you to Dish and your manager possibly losing your job or face something with Dish. This guy even told a break in between for atleast 2-3 times. A job that was suppose to be done within a few hours took him until late evening to finish.

Boot covers where I worked, sometimes just wouldn't have any... would I take my boots off? No... though I did one time for a cute asian lady after that never since.

Anyways it's just part of the job, I used my own discretion of when to use boot covers. Only issue I ever had is when I had a new guy who come into the house with me and left a mud trail throughout white carpert all over the customers house. I wanted to beat him.

As for the OP, it's just who you got that showed up at the door... keep in mind I have been to places where the customer knew they had a mud pit and would do the courtesy of laying out cardboard or towels or what not to lay the job out easy cheesy. That's kinda like in the snow belt if your expecting a service guy to show up to shovel your driveway and sidewalk along with leaving room in the driveway so the guy doesn't have to park 1/4 mile away to walk back and forth when it's 10 degrees outside. Those kinda deals it's hard to keep a service with a smile.

It is OSHA, supposed to have boot covers, may not always have them, yada yada yada...

Working in Texas where old school land owners take alot of pride in what they own ye best treat it like it's your own... leave it the way you found it.

I don't care if it's Dish or Directv, not the name on the shirt that dictates quality or professionalism it's the individual. LOOK at the whole picture.

I know this is no excuse, but we get shippments of receivers every day. If the shipment is delayed we can run out of receivers. That would cause us to not know we would be out of receviers untill it happened.

I called to cancel after they pushed me back a month and they gave me 50 dollars credit and HBO for 3 months free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts