Popularity of Mt2 off air tuner?

My thoughts also but no matter as I said before thank goodness for Dish Network and their VIP722k/w MT2 for having the ability to upconvert all channels to 1080i it keeps all the channels I receive OTA or Satellite watchable at least for me in my opinion.;):D
In all cases your TV will convert the incoming video to the native resolution of its own display panel if different. If selecting 1080i out of your Dish receiver makes a difference in video quality it is because that conversion is being done better than your TV would do it. The simple act of converting from, say, 720p to 1080i in and of itself does nothing to introduce picture improvement... however some boxes can do a better job of making the conversion than others.

Last edited:
I will have to disagree. I have put many of these in up here. Due to the fact that locals that come on dish come out of a different city than what we live in. So people purchase a OTA module to bring in the local weather channel and the local news channel.

I love me some 720p football on Fox over that 1080I CBS garbage anyday! Wish we had the option to have the receiver flip the output to native of the channel automatically. But I am sure some people would whine and call it a bug if it was making their TV resync everytime they changed the channel. I usually change mine manually for football and that's about it.

No but I guess you were,sorry I just report it as I see it and to me 1080i looks better to me than 720p sorry.;)

how? i've been trying to find a way to tell the difference so i can tell if things are working correctly. please help me understand what it is about 1080i that looks better than 720p.

There are many factors affecting PQ, so there cannot be a blanket statement that one is better than another.

I believe most people want to see a difference and that desire "wins". I think if most did a blind comparison test, they a) couldn't identify one resolution over the other and b) wouldn't consistently pick the same resolution as "better" (to them).

In the end, it's 100% subjective. What I prefer is what I want to see. I don't care if someone else thinks "x" is better. I accept their selection too, but on my TV, they're going to have to suffer and watch my choice! :D

Back to the OTA issue. Antenna installed with cable run for 5 viewing locations would cost me $400 installed. Was thinking of dropping pay tv altogether for a while so I checked into it.
I expect it would be somewhat less to install and run a cable to my 722.
I think that another stopping point is the average consumer has no idea how to go about findinthe right antenna for their location. Lots of conflicting info on the web and most of the chain electronics stores don't have folks that really know what they are talking about. Not many "real" tv antenna installers out there any more.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

how? i've been trying to find a way to tell the difference so i can tell if things are working correctly. please help me understand what it is about 1080i that looks better than 720p.

The only way to tell is to have your HDTV calibrated,then if you do write down your settings and don't lose them.My settings are right for me maybe not for someone else.It took me over two weeks of changing settings watching for awhile to get the settings I have my HDTV set to now.

But being disabled I don't have much to do and I watch TV about 18 hours plus a day.You could also google it and see it anyone has posted settings for your TV.I could not find any for mine,but I had my previous TV setup before so I knew what type of picture I wanted from this HDTV.Good Luck!:)

Back to the OTA issue. Antenna installed with cable run for 5 viewing locations would cost me $400 installed. Was thinking of dropping pay tv altogether for a while so I checked into it.
I expect it would be somewhat less to install and run a cable to my 722.
I think that another stopping point is the average consumer has no idea how to go about findinthe right antenna for their location. Lots of conflicting info on the web and most of the chain electronics stores don't have folks that really know what they are talking about. Not many "real" tv antenna installers out there any more.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I had an outdoor antenna done last year by a local dealer that still does some OTA stuff. Cost was about $400 to one TV, any more would have been a trivial expense consisting of a splitter and however many diplexers I might need to send that signal to the other TVs. Prior to that, I could get a some of the local stations quite well with just an indoor glorified rabbit ear setup, but I wanted to get them all.

720p has twice the frame rate of 1080i and in theory can be better for fast motion. Many other factors apply. It was not a decision driven by costs.
Same number of frames for both. Only difference is one is progressive scan the other interlaced scan. Hence P is progressive and I is interlaced. It takes 2 interlaced FIELDS to make 1 1080i picture. Each FRAME is produced in the same length of time.

Well you can report all the facts and by those facts 720p should be a better picture but on my HDTV Vizio's M550SV 240Hz 1080p,when I compare the PQ I see coming out of the VIP722k/wMT2 set to 1080i and I'm watching FOX or ABC locals in upconverted 1080i,then I compare the PQ to the pictures I'm seeing through my HDTV's built in OTA tuner watching FOX and ABC locals and the PQ through the MT2 is a cleaner/crisper PQ compared to what I see being broadcast locally in 720p on my HDTV.

But I would guess my preferences are not the same as most as I like a darker picture,less contrast, a little more color,higher sharpness than most think that's because when the TV repairman set up my old 50" CRT RPTV to his specs I said "Damn,you just gave me an SDTV that to me looks like HD".He just said the TV's specs were off and the mirror was dirty.;)

When I did a little research over the internet alot of posters said to turn down the backlight and contrast that too high of setting can "wash out" the picture and it would seem on my HDTV they were correct.But what really matters is what the owner sees and likes their HDTV picture to look like doesn't it?.That's the way I see it.:D

Same number of frames for both. Only difference is one is progressive scan the other interlaced scan. Hence P is progressive and I is interlaced. It takes 2 interlaced FIELDS to make 1 1080i picture. Each FRAME is produced in the same length of time.

But it takes 2 frames to make a full frame...hence the name interlaced. So technically 720p is double the frame rate which is one of the reason why sports look so much better in 720p. The other? That's a whole different conversation.

But it takes 2 frames to make a full frame...hence the name interlaced. So technically 720p is double the frame rate which is one of the reason why sports look so much better in 720p. The other? That's a whole different conversation.
Not correct. You need to read up on what "Frame Rate" is. :)

I believe navychop and digiblur are correct (other than digiblur saying "frame" twice when he meant to say "field" once). When we're talking about broadcast DTV in the US, 720p refers to a frame rate of 60 fps, while 1080i has a frame rate of only 30 fps.

I believe navychop and digiblur are correct (other than digiblur saying "frame" twice when he meant to say "field" once). When we're talking about broadcast DTV in the US, 720p refers to a frame rate of 60 fps, while 1080i has a frame rate of only 30 fps.
Krell, you are mistaken. Frame Rate is a term that has had meaning going back to analog days (NTSC.)

Let's say you have a nice new TV that is capable of displaying a 24 FPS movie at 24 Frames per Second. The frames per second is 24 whether the source is 720p, 1080i, 0r 1080p.

Try Googling Frame Rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)