Possible 2 722K's to support 4 TV's?

AlexTheMan

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
For a long time, I have been using both Cable and Dish in my house at the same time. I use cable (Comcast) for regular channels and cable modem and I used Dish for some international channels.

My house has 2 feed lines from outside so I am keeping both cable and satellite signals separate. I have 2 wall outlets next to my main TV so it can get both cable and dish signals. I only use cable signal at 3 other TV's in my house.

I used to have a plain 301 receiver for Dish. However, a decent offer from Dish made me update that receiver to a 722K which I am still using only for international channels. The backfeed of that receiver is providing signal to another SD TV in a separate room.

I am thinking of dropping cable completely. I was offered by Dish to get a second 722K receiver to use for the other 2 TV's. I will still keep cable for my internet only.

I have some doubts about using 2 722K's for 4 TV's. Is that feasible and is it a good idea? How is that going to be connected? Does the dish feed get split using a standard 2 way splitter, to go to both receivers?

Any guidance is appreciated before I commit with dish to extending my contract.

Thanks in advance

2 TVs per 722K is what they were designed for, 1 HDTV, 1SD. Each receiver must have a direct cable to the Dish. Another cable may need to be run depending on where you locate your second 722K. It's probable the existing wiring can be used for TV2 as was for your first one. There is not problem with what you want to do...only the advantage of ditching cable and having better equipment.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So based on what you are saying, I have to run another cable from the dish to the second receiver (or ditch Comcast and use the that second exisiting cable to the second 722k), correct?

No way to split the single cable feed from the dish into 2 cables, and each connects to one of the 722k's?

You will need at minimum 2 cables from the Dish Antenna. One going to each 722K. Then an adapter at the receiver can split the single cable into two inputs for the receiver.

If you have an OTA antenna, and the OTA module for the 722k, you will need to add a diplexer to both ends of each cable.

But it all should be able to be fed with one cable from the dish for each one receiver.

This is if the dish LNB supports the signal stacking feature of dish's latest receivers.

As it has been pointed out, each 722K must have a direct feed from the proper LNB, in this case, DishPro PLUS LNB. You cannot use a splitter along these cables to the 722K. You CAN use a properly rated (2150mhz) diplexer to route the cable to the 2nd TV working off the 722K. This also requires a 2nd diplexer behind each receiver. The diplxer that is in-line (not behind the 722K) will have the cable from the LNB connected to the "satellite" port on the diplexer. The cable that runs on to the 722K will connect to the "in/out" port of the diplexer. The cable that runs to TV2 connects to the "UHF/VHF" port of the diplexer. Behind the 722K you have another diplexer. As the cable comes out of the wall, hook it to the "in/out" port of the diplexer. Run a cable from the "satellite" port of the diplexer and connect it to the single-port side of the DP Seperator. The other side of the DP Seperator has two cables on it that connect to the SAT IN 1 and SAT IN 2 on the back of the 722K. Now, run a cable from the "UHF/VHF" port on the diplexer to the "Home Distribution" port on the back of the 722K. "Home Distribution" is the output to TV2.

Be aware of the 6 buck DVR fee per account and the second 722 fee of 17 bucks a month.

Plus yoiu must sign a contract E can change at any time.

But they will likely do the install at no extra charge

Jez Boob must you post this everywhere. It's getting really old that you can't just keep it in the fees threads.

I'm going to defend Bob on this one. This is someone thinking about new equipment who may not be getting the total information from DISH. He might get a surprise on the first or second bill. Bob's information is very relevant here and could be a help to the OP.

I just becoming tired, tedious, and boring. You can defend him if you want but it is turn the site into a cry baby site. Just point people to the correct thread and shut up in the rest.

For a long time, I have been using both Cable and Dish in my house at the same time. I use cable (Comcast) for regular channels and cable modem and I used Dish for some international channels.

My house has 2 feed lines from outside so I am keeping both cable and satellite signals separate. I have 2 wall outlets next to my main TV so it can get both cable and dish signals. I only use cable signal at 3 other TV's in my house.

I used to have a plain 301 receiver for Dish. However, a decent offer from Dish made me update that receiver to a 722K which I am still using only for international channels. The backfeed of that receiver is providing signal to another SD TV in a separate room.

I am thinking of dropping cable completely. I was offered by Dish to get a second 722K receiver to use for the other 2 TV's. I will still keep cable for my internet only.

I have some doubts about using 2 722K's for 4 TV's. Is that feasible and is it a good idea? How is that going to be connected? Does the dish feed get split using a standard 2 way splitter, to go to both receivers?

Any guidance is appreciated before I commit with dish to extending my contract.

Thanks in advance

If you won't be watching more than 2 TVs at any one time (or more precisely, 2 different channels at any one time) and are OK with SD for all 3 other TVs, you only need the 1 receiver that you have.

Merely connect the home distribution output of the 722K (that has been back-feeding the one SD TV) to the Comcast cable wall outlet next to your main TV. At the main Comcast cable feed for the house, directly connect the Comcast signal coming in--no splitter--to the cable leading to your cable modem. Make the cable coming from the 722K home distribution the main feed--input--using the existing splitter(s) to the other 3 TVs.

This is exactly the setup that I have.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)