Possible? And cheapest way?

mdpeanuts

Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Maryland
Hey folks,

I've got Dish for about another year and 2 months, Not really wanting to make it a 2 year contract again. And need to find as low cost of a solution as I can.

right now I have the 722 box, I work night shift so I record a whole lotta shows to watch on the nights I'm off. Currently the 722 box goes to the family room and to the bedroom.

My fiancee at times likes to watch something live when both channels are recording on the 722.

My question is: Can I add a standard receiver, put it in the bedroom and still be able to watch pre-recorded shows from the 722 or let her watch whatever show she decides she wants to while the 722's recording away?

Think I may have just answered my Question. I'd basically have the one receiver going to the tv, and the 722's 2nd cable just enter a different spot on the tv - correct?

Will dish let me just rent the 2nd box? or what pricing am I looking at?

thanks folks.

Hey folks,

I've got Dish for about another year and 2 months, Not really wanting to make it a 2 year contract again. And need to find as low cost of a solution as I can.

right now I have the 722 box, I work night shift so I record a whole lotta shows to watch on the nights I'm off. Currently the 722 box goes to the family room and to the bedroom.

My fiancee at times likes to watch something live when both channels are recording on the 722.

My question is: Can I add a standard receiver, put it in the bedroom and still be able to watch pre-recorded shows from the 722 or let her watch whatever show she decides she wants to while the 722's recording away?

Think I may have just answered my Question. I'd basically have the one receiver going to the tv, and the 722's 2nd cable just enter a different spot on the tv - correct?

Will dish let me just rent the 2nd box? or what pricing am I looking at?

thanks folks.

A SOLO box is $7/month, but that doesn't have DVR, and you wouldn't be able to watch programming from the 722. I believe a single DVR is $10/month.

thank you

So I can just rent a solo box and not have to buy it?
There might be an upgrade fee for Dish to send you another receiver as well as extending you for another two years with Dish. Sometimes it is cheaper to just buy another receiver instead of going thru Dish.

As an existing customer for less than a year you will have ab upgrade fee and an install fee. If you had gotten the second receiver at time of installation everything would have been free. Yes adding a leased receiver will extend the contract to a 24 months again.

Purchasing a solo receiver will cost about $50 and up plus installation on Western Arc. On Eastern Arc it must be a MPEG 4 receiver which will start at about $100.

You are best off just buying a used receiver as cheap as you can. Add it to your account and hook it up in the bedroom with A/V cables. When you want to watch the DVR just switch over to the channel you have it programmed to on your TV. You will have to pay $7 a month for the receiver but you will not have to renew a commitment.

Sorry for the delay in responding, the net dropped off that night and I couldn't get on last night.

Just got off chat with dish. they wanted to - lease - me a receiver for 115 bucks a month then charge 14 bucks a month for the service. And yup - renew for 24 months.

I'd rather just live with the way I've got it now until the contracts up and go with a different provider.

I may just build a home theater system and pay a monthly charge for that instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts