Possible Bad Switch?

rayf937

Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Scranton
I have a college house with 4 other guys. One was living there for half of the summer. But about 2 weeks after we left he said one of the receivers stopped working. At first I thought it was a satellite issue. But once I was there and saw the problem, I was getting zero signal and a bad switch error. I traced the lines back to the dish and only saw one spot where it could be a problem. This is a rented house so there are tons of cable lines on the outside.

Our receiver downstairs was working perfectly. I took the non-working unit downstairs and it also worked. So I know its a problem in the line to the receiver upstairs.

I found one switch on the outside of the house and I suspect that is where the problem is from. I'm not at the house now but I believed that the (IN/OUT)/(VHF)/(SAT). Was the switch.

My diagram got messed up.
Anyway it connects the two Sat lines with the external TV line from the box (VP722, or whatever the model is). To a single cable which runs outside to the input on the switch called "SAT". That then runs to the Dish

So i think the switch outside of the house is the problem. But I'm not 100 percent sure.

I just don't want to pay some guy to come out and unscrew 3 wires and screw them back in for 50 bucks, or whatever the cost is.

I just want to know if this sounds like the problem, so I can buy the parts needed.

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited:
What you are describing is a diplexer. There should be one behind the rec as well. They should be used in pairs.

What led you to believe the one outside is bad? You can try bypassing it with a barrel connector to confirm that it is the problem.
You should get signal back if it is, but you will lose picture on TV2 until it is replaced

You're right it is a Diplexers. There is one Diplexers behind the receiver. The second one is outside of the house. Im fairly sure the Diplexer outside is bad because, when i take my receiver downstairs and hook it up where my first receiver is everything works.

Its either something in that cable, which I didn't see any problems. Or its in that diplexer.

Next time I'm at the house ill try your solution

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)