Possible new subscriber with questions

scarson79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hey,

I'm looking at subscribing to either DISH or DirecTV but most likely DISH and have a few questions...

First, I live just south of the Minnesota border and am curious as to what baseball teams I might receive? Where I live, I regularly watch the Minnesota Twins (and want to continue to do so), but the DISH network website tells me that, with my locals, I would only be able to get the Comcast Network out of Chicago (I assume this is both the White Sox and Cubs). Is there any way I can get the Twins instead? I notice where some people indicate they get four, five, or six teams on different networks but I feel like I'm really more in the Twins territory. Would the Twins be on an alternate network EVERY NIGHT if I am in their territory?

I notice all of the alternate sports channels listed. Do these show programming nationally or do they show region specific programming?

I don't really want my locals and would prefer to get the networks out of San Francisco that people are talking about because I regularly sit up late (I don't have to be at work until 11) and since I don't get home until just after 7 (etc), most of the prime-time programs I want to watch I would rather watch on a western feed. Can I get this?

Can you still get networks out of L.A. (I was born there)

Can you add the Golf Network, Big Ten Network, and Encore Mysteries individually.

If I don't want my locals but still want the RSNs, will the Top 100 Plus cost me $39.99 month or will my rate be lower since I don't want my own locals?

Finally, is there a discount for subscribers if they want to pay annually or bi-annually (I prefer annual).

S.C.

Give us a call at the Dishstore on Monday, we will give you the best deal available.

See...
DISHSTORE.Net Better than Club Dish Promotion

As far as locals and regional sports, you need to run your address first to see what you qualify for...
https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

The local channels you can get are based off of your service address. If you where to "Move" after you got the system installed you would get the locals and local sports teams from that area ;)

Hey,

I'm looking at subscribing to either DISH or DirecTV but most likely DISH and have a few questions...

First, I live just south of the Minnesota border and am curious as to what baseball teams I might receive? Where I live, I regularly watch the Minnesota Twins (and want to continue to do so), but the DISH network website tells me that, with my locals, I would only be able to get the Comcast Network out of Chicago (I assume this is both the White Sox and Cubs). Is there any way I can get the Twins instead? I notice where some people indicate they get four, five, or six teams on different networks but I feel like I'm really more in the Twins territory. Would the Twins be on an alternate network EVERY NIGHT if I am in their territory?

I notice all of the alternate sports channels listed. Do these show programming nationally or do they show region specific programming?

I don't really want my locals and would prefer to get the networks out of San Francisco that people are talking about because I regularly sit up late (I don't have to be at work until 11) and since I don't get home until just after 7 (etc), most of the prime-time programs I want to watch I would rather watch on a western feed. Can I get this?

Can you still get networks out of L.A. (I was born there)

Can you add the Golf Network, Big Ten Network, and Encore Mysteries individually.

If I don't want my locals but still want the RSNs, will the Top 100 Plus cost me $39.99 month or will my rate be lower since I don't want my own locals?

Finally, is there a discount for subscribers if they want to pay annually or bi-annually (I prefer annual).

S.C.

I'm not positive about which baseball teams you will see on a nightly basis but, with Comcast Chicago, it will most likely be the White Sox and Cubs. According to the territory map, though, you are also in the market of the Royals, Cardinals, Brewers, and Twins. I'm not really sure how the alternate networks work but I can sometimes see the Reds on one of my alternate stations (and I "moved" to the Charlotte area). I didn't check everynight because, once I had MASN, I was too busy watching the Orioles and Nationals (in addition to watching the Braves). I do know that they were on the alternate networks a few times a week, though. Not sure if they base these games (for baseball) due to the territory in which you live or not, but I would assume they do. Today, though, I was able to view Arizona and Washington on one of my alternate networks (and I'm nearly 2000 miles away). I also have 10 alternate sports networks (I'm AT200) and I think that, with AT100 or AT100+, you only have five of those networks.

If you can qualify for the San Francisco networks, give them a shot. The news isn't as great as it is in Los Angeles, but I'm beginning to grow fond of those networks. The picture quality isn't great, but it'll do. I mainly loved the Los Angeles FOX because it showed the Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Married With Children about the time I was getting ready to wind down and hit the haysack. The Denver FOX has a similar lineup and I've even though about "moving" to Denver just to get the FOX station as an individual network. One caution with moving, though... You'll place yourself in that area in regards to what RSN you qualify for.

You can't get the Los Angeles network with a standard system unless you are in the spotbeam (which you won't be). I've heard it's a bit different with an HD receiver, though. You didn't say if you were planning on going with an HD receiver, though. I would recommend Claude and the DISHstore.net as I had a friend that bought equipment from there and was impressed with the experience and recommends them to everyone. If the HD thing isn't as I've been told (or you don't want to go that option), you can request KTLA for an extra $1.50 / month. It's the only superstation I have ordered and I primarily watch the news or Smackdown (and sometimes a movie) on that network.

I'm pretty sure you can't add the Big Ten Network individually and I'm not sure if it's going to be in the Sports Package or not...

I'm not sure about the Golf Network. I think it could be added for $5 / month at one point but I don't think it can be any longer... I might be wrong about this, though.

As for Encore Mysteries - You can't add it as an individual network, but you can request the Encore Movie Package and you'll get Encore Mysteries as well as several other Encore networks (Westerns, the West feed of the network, etc).

I asked somebody about the $39.99 AT100+ locals issue too, and I was told that you could simply pay $34.99 / month (in order to receive your RSNs) and just not add locals. I'm still considering because....

I am an annual subscriber and won't have to make that decision until December. If you want to be an annual subscriber, I think you save the equivalent of about one month of the basic package you are subscribing to. In other words, I currently subscribe to the AT200 ($43 / month) and would pay all that was due at once and save one month. I have did this for several years. I'm not sure if it's something that they still do or not...

Cade

Your basically going to get the teams for the area you move to. Move to Chicago, get the Cubs and the white sox, move to LA and you get the Dodgers and Angels, move to Detroit you then get the Tigers.

The only problem with moving is you do loose your local teams, however if you had the NBA package or the center ice package you could then get them that way or with an OTA antenna.

As you know, Dish does not have MLB xtra innings, so on baseball your at the Mercy of Fox Sports in your local area!

Multi-sports package will not solve this issue because of the black out string.

Best thing to do would be to use your home address, get a Junk Camper with a title and call All American Direct and see if they will sell you distant networks!

Another word of caution is the time zone. It's not really a big deal, but it will change the time on your receiver. I mean, if you were to get Denver or Los Angeles locals, things would still come on at the same time on the USA Network or anything else. For example, if I "move" to Seattle so I can see the Mariners once baseball season starts, the program guide will show WWE RAW on Monday afternoon at 6:00 PM. However, if you live on the east coast, you will still be seeing it at 9:00 PM. At least that was the experience I had when I moved to Las Vegas ages ago.

It may be a little different for me, though, because I can qualify for the distant networks without needing anything other than my real address. So, if I take myself out of my local market, the only thing I lose is the Braves because my true locals are out of Atlanta and offered by AAD. You can be kind of creative, though, if you want more teams... If I want to keep the Braves, I can move to Mobile, Alabama, where I will get the Braves, Marlins, and Devil Rays. For quite a while, though, I've been in Charlotte where I can see the Braves, Reds, Orioles, and Nationals. I wish one of the other teams (Nationals or Reds) were American League and then I could see the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays more, but oh well! My only problem with Charlotte is the signal strength I get from the locals -- I purchased the Charlotte FOX so I would have an "alternate" NFL game in the Panthers and am disappointed that I only get a signal strength of about 45 - 50 (locked). It's been really dry around here all fall (just about) and without any cloud cover, it works.

I don't really recommend the Sports Package for the same reason Claude give you -- most everything will be blacked out on the professional side of things.

is there anything else associated with a zip code change i'm missing? potential problems?? what about billing or when you call in and they ask for your tel number or billing address--would different area codes a problem?

- i'm talking from central time to east coast time, btw

thanks!

I would think with the use of cell phones, that wouldn't be a problem. You could work for a company on the east coast and be supplied your cell phone from them so it would be in that area code.

You won't need to do a service call (or order equipment from DISH) until you change back to your regular address, though. I "moved" to Charlotte from northeast Georgia and simply give them me cell phone number (706 area code). I haven't had any problems but, if I were ordering equipment, I'd KNOW to change back to my "real" physical address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts