Possible Problem with the 811

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
My father-in-law's 811 had a problem with outputting audio correctly to his RCA A/V receiver. Regardless of the option chosen (Dolby Digital, PCM, Dolby Digital/PCM) there was some type of issue with the sound not outputting correctly. He has spent a lot of time with Dish technical staff on the phone walking through everything they could try (and yes, he has confirmed it is not the optical cable). They indicated they would note this problem for their engineers and are looking for anyone else who may be experiencing this issue, particularly anyone with an RCA A/V receiver. By the way, my father-in-law picked up another 811 from the installer's place yesterday and switched them out. Same problem on both 811's.

Stacy

Yes, it's like static with a regular, measured clicking in it (sounds like pulsing, as in Pulse Code Modulation ;) ). When he chooses the option of Dolby Digital only - the static is present on channels that are outputting PCM but he gets good sound on Dolby Digital channels (e.g. HDNet). When he chooses PCM only, he gets sound on channels that are broadcasting a regular stereo sound, but the static popping on any channel broadcasting in DD. When he chooses the Dolby Digital/PCM option, he gets the static popping on all channels but the DD ones.

Stacy

I had someone email me about that problem last night, I passed it along to my contacts at Dish.

Anyone else having this issue via the Digital outputs?

I have one of those receivers too but I moved it downstairs and dont have my 811 yet anyway so I can't test it.

But I have had that problem before with that crappy receiver :) Yes, you have to make sure it is outputting PCM only. In fact if you try and send DD directly to the receiver it usually flashes PCM ONLY on the display to wanr you.

It sounds to me that the PCM only selection on the 811 is not working and it is still sending DD? Given the infancy of the software it is a distinct possibility.

Lee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)