Possible switch problem

soonerman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
The past few days I have had an infrequent problem pop up and I don't know what it is or what to do about it.

When I turn on my 625 it occassionally says "Please Wait" on the screen before the system turns on with the Dish Network Logo. It then takes a few seconds to turn on. No big deal. But many times after that, usually when I am changing channels, this screen flashes that says something like "A problem has been detected with your switch". It then flashes off and back to the channel. I can then run a check switch and everything checks out okay.

This is infrequent and I don't know what specifically causes it. It seems to be increasing in the frequency though.

Any ideas or suggestions?

i got this today on my 622 while changing channels in the ota group...

i did the same thing, ran a check... no problems... odd.

This can happen when there are obstructions to the signal from the sats. Tree growth, trees blowing in the wind, heavy weather, dish moving due to thermal expansion/contraction of the surface it is mounted to, things like that. Happens to me when snow sticks to my dish. Even though a switch test reveals no problems and I have cleaned the dish, I have still gotten the message on occasion. Seems to be a software bug more than anything, IMO.

I usually turn my TV on first and then the 622. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed the 622 screen-saver will add "Please Wait" and will not turn on until 1 - 5 seconds later.

Both TV1 and TV2 were in the off mode, so I thought that maybe the 622 was checking the skies to see if there were any software updates to download, even though it wasn't time for the scheduled update.

One other thing I noticed... It appears to do it on TV1 when it was previously on Channel 704/KBS from Sat 121; but not enough scientific data to say for sure.

So for, not that many times to be annoying.

"A problem has been detected with your switch"
could be anything from LNBF problem to connector problem
first check signal streanth 119 TP 11 over 90 or 85 sat 110 TP 11 over 80 sat 129 tp 8 over 65 then check all the barrells in the line, barells are the connector used to connect two cables together mainly found by the dish in the J box outside your house or inside the wallplate by your receiver u wanna make sure its 3 ghz most of the 3ghz rated barells are blue inside then you wanna check the cable make sure its not bent nothing is shorting the cable like a staple on it under the eve or by the board to the bottom of the wall in some cases and if the cable is run under the carpet make sure no nails are going through it i personally dont run sat lines under carpets TV2 uhf isnt a problem though connectors should be checks as well see if any metalic hairs from the sheild is hitting the copper wire in the connector check if the copper wire is too long or too short if everything is ok u need to change the LNB, that message is doesnt indicate a bad receiver or software glitch its very unlikely that it is

I had a problem with a 522. Kept getting that message on tv 2. After pulling my hair out, running check switches that read good, and getting ready to rewire the whole thing,I started checking the cables for shorts. I checked a 2 foot cable from the coverplate in the wall to tv 2 with a meter. Even though the check switch read good and signal strength was great, the cable had a short in it! Use a meter that has an audible "open" or "short" setting, place one lead on the center wire, the other lead on the outside of the connector. You should read "open" or hear nothing. Mine sounded "short". I replaced this 2 foot cable and haven't had a problem since. Just something to try!

To add to my earlier comment about a software bug, just want to mention that I've only encountered this issue during snowy weather. Never have seen the error during fair weather. Maybe a moisture issue? My outdoor ground block connections are all in a weatherproof box. For these reasons, I am kind of reluctant to think it is a problem with the cables or connections, at least in my case.

As for the OP, it could be a connector problem. Could be a temperature problem, or a LNBF/Switch going out.

Or, like what happens to matter in a black hole, it could be just one of the mysteries of the universe. :what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)