Possible to get a "Neat" Install?

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I've had E* for many years. Last year, I put a significant amount of money improving my house, including new siding.

I've been wanting to upgrade my E* from two 508s to maybe two 721s or possibly HD. What's stopping me? I'm worried about installer horror stories I've head about. I don't want them destroying the look of the new siding.

By-and-large, are installers "neat" with their installs, or is it safe to assume they will trash my house? I didn't care when then first did the install. Now I do. (I'm in SE Michigan) Thanks.

MI_SAT said:
I've had E* for many years. Last year, I put a significant amount of money improving my house, including new siding.

I've been wanting to upgrade my E* from two 508s to maybe two 721s or possibly HD. What's stopping me? I'm worried about installer horror stories I've head about. I don't want them destroying the look of the new siding.

By-and-large, are installers "neat" with their installs, or is it safe to assume they will trash my house? I didn't care when then first did the install. Now I do. (I'm in SE Michigan) Thanks.

I think that as a "basic" install, it is not going to a nice hide type job, for a "neat" install I think you will have to pay extra for the time it takes to be cosmetically pleasing. This is of course if the installer has the knowledge/skills to do a neat job persay. If you are worried about this, since you already have the a system installed, have the sat installer setup the extra feeds you need for the 721, leaving enough extra cable to do a neat install later. Then get your siding company to come out and properly hide the cabling, etc. This may cost you more, but in the end you will be happier.

Alt

Alt

It depends greatly on the installer. I've worked with several, and they varied widely in skills and customer-focus. But I think it helps if you have a clear idea of what you want and how you want it set up before they get there.

MI SAT

Speaking as a local retailer, my advice is for you to visit a few local retailers, and express to them what you want, and find out what it will cost you. Ask for referrals if it will make you more comfortable. Our "basic installation" is far different than what a fullfillment installer will do. As we are local, it is not to our advantage to do a "hack" installation.

Enter your zipcode at www.dumpcable.com and it will give you a list of local retailers that should be able to help.

Al

I agree with Al, check with your local retailer snd ask questions. Most installers from these big fullfillment companies are paid by the number of dishes they install in a day, not by the quality of the install.

A local retailer will work with you to get the exaxct install you want.

I really do not recommend going with any local installation service as I spend about %75 of my work week fixing theyre stuff here in southe east michigan, sadly I cant garauntee you that even the installers who work directly for dish as employee's wont be to much better but the odds are better. From a personal stand point I am willing to help you out on your installation needs, send me a private message with the particulars of what city your in and I can let you know if its in an area that I cover, if it is I will help you to get it setup to where dish will send me out to your home to do the work needed and can garauntee that the install will be neat and tidy.

I did it myself up to a "connect" here statement for the installer. As a nearly new home (built 2000), I didn' want the siding and other cosmetic problems to be caused by the installer.

So I carefully fished my own walls for the internal connections with my own Lucent Quickport pannels to make it look great internally (all my speaker, Component video and other connections are also internal to the wall with nice wall plate covers).

I then ran the cabling out to my own grounding block where I wanted the dish installed. Used my own electrical experience to put in my copper grounding rod that is unified to the house ground properly and then tested to ensure no difference in grounding potential. Overall, if I had done this installation for another Sat owner, they would have had a very hefty bill for the more than 5+ hours of labor involved. A $99.00 professional installation would never have cut it. This is were the profit potential for Sat business has really gone away. C-band installs were where the profit used to be.

Guess I'll need to add some photos to that "installation" thread that shows everyones setups.

How does the this look?

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 347
  • PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 310
Cascade said:
Why do you have wires running outside of the arm on the superdish?
If that switch is outside it needs compression connectors.
Only two are, 110/119, and have neat clips running them down the lnb support arm. I did not install it. I guess they could have been run through, I think this was a way for the installer to tell which was which. He used grey cable on one, black on the other. I put the wire ties, which are hard to see by the picture, on after the fact. The switch is outside, but under a balcony!

Cascade said:
Why do you have wires running outside of the arm on the superdish?
If that switch is outside it needs compression connectors.

You cant run the cable lines inside the arm of a superdish, there isnt an opening at the bottom.

Gun$linger said:
You cant run the cable lines inside the arm of a superdish, there isnt an opening at the bottom.
Incorrect! I'm not flameing here. There is a 1 inch diameter hole in the end of the arm on mine. The 105 cable is runing through it. The other two could have been run through the arm. I guess it depends who installs it, and then, I do not know how many diferent LNB support arms there are. There may be some without a hole. The clips look like they were made for it, so there again, some might have it some might not. I have seen some around here wire tied, hanging there, ran through the arm etc... So, what is the norm? Probably should be run through the arm, if possible.

What's the difference between a superdish and a Dish 500? I have the latter. Just not sure of what the former is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)