possible to "move"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

welcomepack

Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Wheeling,WV
Hello, I am considering switching from Comcast Cable TV to Dish, on the $14.99 Welcome Pack and add the $5/month Heartland Package. For some odd reason, the online chat rep suggested I start out on a 24-month contract at $24.99/month + $5 for Heartland (-$5 for the promotion refund up to 12 months) to rent the equipment for no charge. After one month, I would switch to the $14.99 Welcome Pack with the $5 Heartland Add-on, with only a $5 downgrade fee -- or so they said. If I started with the Welcome Pack, they would charge $149.99 for the equipment for one receiver with 2 TV outputs (1 HD & 1 SD).

With that background, I live in code 26041 which offers me Wheeling, WV locals only. Those locals have the shoddiest news team and a pathetic seemingly low-quality video signal to boot! I prefer Pittsburgh local networks for news and programming. Similar to what another poster mentioned, Comcast offers Wheeling, WV, Steubenville, OH, Youngstown, OH ABC, and all of the Pittsburgh big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) as locals in my town. If Dish allowed me to have the choice of either Wheeling or Pittsburgh locals, if would decline the Wheeling locals (as to which the website defaults).

I have read all 6 pages of this thread, but it has been over a year since the last post. Is Dish still letting customers "move" without hassle? Or have they tightened up on their limits? On the same topic, my wife has family living within the Pittsburgh locals, but don't subscribe to Dish. Is it required that Dish is installed at the residence I "move" to?

Lastly, I've discovered some discount codes online. First, I found one for $50 off the first bill on new accounts (DRG216107201). The last code I found had various Amazon promos, there was one for a $200 Amazon Gift Card, then a different website shows a $100 Amazon Gift Card. On a recent trip to the mall, I found a promo for a $50 Kmart Gift Card or a $50 Visa Gift Card (from Radioshack). Besides Kmart & Radioshack promos, do any of the others work? If allowed, I would use the $50 off first bill with the $200 Amazon Gift Card, if both are usable still.

Thanks for any info! I hope to learn a lot from this board! My "to do" list is to research what the acronyms DNS, DMA, D* , AAD, BBCA, RSN, MSG, SDP, & PP mean.

Last edited:
I broke your post off of an old thread.

I'll answer the 1st part. If you want to lease the equipment I think you need at least AT120 to get the equipment. If you purchase the equipment in full you can start with the Welcome Pack and can go with no contract/agreement. But again you'd have to buy all the equipment

Due to FCC rules satellite can only give you one set of locals. Cable can work off old rules set by them so thats why in areas like that you get more networks. You can't "choose" what market you are in. That is defined by Nielsen and the FCC. And they put you in the Wheeling/Steubenville market which yeah is pretty shoddy (2 nets in HD...ABC & FOX as subchannels).

Can you "move"? Sure you can. Folks do it all the time. Best thing to do is a "Search" on "moving"...there's lots of info

My "to do" list is to research what the acronyms DNS, DMA, D* , AAD, BBCA, RSN, MSG, SDP, & PP mean.
DNS-Distant Network Services...networks from NY or LA....Dish can only offer those to folks in RV's or semis who submit proper paperwork
D*-Directv..at one point there were 4 satellite companies and 3 ended in "star". Alphastar, Primestar, Echostar (parent company of Dish) and Directv. So folks use to use A*, P*, E* and by default D*
AAD-All American DIrect. They are a company that offers distant networks (or maybe use to) and uses DIsh equipment
BBCA-BBC America (tv channel)
RSN-Regional Sports Network. Like Fox Sports Ohio, Root Sports Pittsburgh, Fox Sports Cincinnati, Sportstime Ohio, etc
SDP-no clue
PP-prepay? As a hockey fan I think power play :)

I can't answer your question on the Welcome Pack, except to say don't believe that CSR as there no longer is a "downgrade" fee. Just a change fee if the change is made within 30 days of the previous change.

I use my parents' address (they have cable) for my Pittsburgh locals. All I did after getting set up at my home and everything was working properly, (I gave it a few weeks to a month), I chatted to have my service address changed to my parents' address. That was it. The reason I waited was in case my install had any issues, I didn't have to go thru the hassles of changing my service address back to have a tech sent out.

AAD offers SD channels from San Francisco and/or New York. They better still do it, I just paid for another year......:D

Wow you guys are awesome with the quick replies! Thanks!!
SDP-no clue
PP-prepay? As a hockey fan I think power play :)
I found all those acronyms in the 6 pages of what I replied to; by the way, thanks for the quick recap!
I worked at an electronics retailer for 11 years until 2008, so I recall E * and P * vaguely; of course, D * is still around today.

To dare2be : Thanks for the info! The Pittsburgh residence doesn't need to be a dish customer, that is great to know! I will likely wait maybe a week to test the locals at least.

I received the info from the Dish live rep 2 days ago. I talked to two reps on the same session, though. Some of the first rep's info was overturned by what the second told me. (The 1st rep said the equipment was free lease, even on the Welcome Pack. The 2nd rep said I would need to purchase the equipment for the Welcome Pack, but it would be a free lease for the 24-month option with the Smart Pack, and I could downgrade for a $5 one time fee. The 2nd rep specifically said I could lease the equipment if I downgraded to the Welcome Pack.) I did save the entire session (via notepad) if anyone would like me to post it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)