Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
So as we speak I am having my sons Xbox one looked at for possible internal hard drive issues as well as possible external hard drive issues

My question, if my internal and external hard drives are messed up and I have to buy a new Xbox. As I am a Xbox gold member, has he lost all progress in games or if I have to purchase a new Xbox once I set up the new Xbox all will the progress be on the system tied to my sons gamertag

And where does this leave my digital game purchases

Thanks for any info and assistance

Just a update-looks like the issue is with the external hard drive and they are trying to reformat the EHD?

Last edited:
Unless you have an atypical setup all of your saves are in the cloud, and your purchases are tied to the account that acquired it.

Once all of this is resolved you'll just need to redownload games on drives that were formatted. When you launch some games it may take a moment to sync saves.

Reactions: satjay
Thanks, just spoke to the repair shop, sounds like the internal hard drive is corrupted as well, they were talking about it having a virus. We shall see

I've never heard of anyone getting a virus on an Xbox but it seems pretty unusual for both the external and internal hard drive to fail at the same time. Like meStevo said though, both their purchases and saves should be fine. Purchases are tied to the Microsoft account and saves are backed up automatically. I have switched from a launch Xbox One to an Xbox One S and now to an Xbox One X and all my saves and purchases have moved forward seamlessly. Your son will just want to make sure he sets the replacement Xbox One as his home console if he wants to be able to play games when the internet is out or be able to download them remotely.

I've never heard of anyone getting a virus on an Xbox but it seems pretty unusual for both the external and internal hard drive to fail at the same time. Like meStevo said though, both their purchases and saves should be fine. Purchases are tied to the Microsoft account and saves are backed up automatically. I have switched from a launch Xbox One to an Xbox One S and now to an Xbox One X and all my saves and purchases have moved forward seamlessly. Your son will just want to make sure he sets the replacement Xbox One as his home console if he wants to be able to play games when the internet is out or be able to download them remotely.

Thanks for the info, so if I do have to purchase a new Xbox, if there are issues with the EHD, how would those games appear on the new Xbox would they just appear once we log on with his gamertag and account? That's the part I have been researching but have not had clear info on

Thanks for the info, so if I do have to purchase a new Xbox, if there are issues with the EHD, how would those games appear on the new Xbox would they just appear once we log on with his gamertag and account? That's the part I have been researching but have not had clear info on

If the external hard drive was still working all you would have to do is plug it in and all the game would be ready to go. Since it sounds like it’s not they will have to be downloaded again. Once he is logged into his account he will just have to go into “my games and apps”. There is a section called “ready to install” that will show everything he owns that isn’t installed. This is the same way you would download a game again if you deleted it to make space.

If the external hard drive was still working all you would have to do is plug it in and all the game would be ready to go. Since it sounds like it’s not they will have to be downloaded again. Once he is logged into his account he will just have to go into “my games and apps”. There is a section called “ready to install” that will show everything he owns that isn’t installed. This is the same way you would download a game again if you deleted it to make space.

Thanks for the assistance!

So after review, looks like the EHD was the problem, it was recommended that I buy a external EHD that is powered by AC power as my USB one was over powering the console. I did pick one up and all seems well

So after review, looks like the EHD was the problem, it was recommended that I buy a external EHD that is powered by AC power as my USB one was over powering the console. I did pick one up and all seems well

Hmm... that’s the first I’ve heard of something like that. I’ve been using a bus powered EHD since they first turned on the ability to use EHDs without issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts