Potential New DishHD Customer

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
As a fairly new homeowner (6 mos and counting) and a new HDTV owner (3 mos and counting) - I am ready to take the dive to add more HD content than what I get from CoNcast QAM (3 of the locals - despite the fact their channel card alludes to the fact 6 should be coming in). I've read most of the doom and gloom posts about e* and their lack of HD; but as someone on a budget, it is hard to go wrong with DishHD only pack. Maybe, it's because I am a glutton for punishment, maybe it is because I am a former mac owner, but Dish seems to make more sense at the moment. I don't plan on getting any premium movie channels packages, the only RSN I care about will show up that day the River Styx freezes over (CSN:philly), and experimenting with the infamous coat hanger antenna gets me nearly all of my locals. Being a bit obsessive, I tried to do the math and it went something like this:

Dish HD only + DVR (no locals - if you can't do Harrisburg DMA in HD - don't want em:
$35.97 for 38 HD Channels (since BTN left) at a rate of about $.97/HD channel

It's kinda hard to not see the value in it. The cheapest I can get HD & DVR from D* is (AFTER the promo period) $68.97/month for 35 channels at $1.97/HD Channel and sadly money speaks louder than nationals for me - have to still get the house up to a livable state.

But I do have a couple of questions:
1) If I am the sucker and go for the two year contract, does that cover the price of install of the price of activation. (I've learned not to trust CSR's on such questions)

2) I no you can't add RSN's to the HD-only pack, but can you add int'l ala carte? (in particular - if CNN-HD isn't added by the time I sign up, I am gonna wanna get the EuroNews ala carte. Is that possible with HD only?)

If you read this, thanks for your time... if you reply, even more grateful for the advise. Thanks

Q1:
No install fee, and as of 2/08 no activation fee up front.

Q2: not sure. any intl channels may require a second dish and an install fee for that dish only.

Call a Local Retailer!!!!!!!!

fred

Call Dishstore. One of this forum's sponsors with a great reputation. They will inform you of all your options.

I was in your exact situation 2 months ago and I decided to bite-the-bullet and order the DishHD with locals even though I get lots of OTA digital stations.

I have a VIP722 and this dvr/receiver is pretty awesome. I have 2 HD TVs hooked up to TV1 (one HDMI and one component) and 3 SD TVs hooked up to TV2. I need to buy another UHF remote to control TV1 when I'm in the other room.

I've come to this conclusion:

For $41/mo this is a steal.

DishHD is the best deal right now for those looking for ample HD content but don't need regional sports.

Sounds like a good choice for you. DTV is supposed to come out with an HD only package in 2009 but I seen any hard info on it like when or how much or what it will include.

You are in a good part of the country for dish. Make sure they point you towards 61.5 and not 129.

Whoops. I forgot to mention I ordered through Dishstore.net as well.

I'd guess that 75% of the volume resellers are "good enough" in terms of service and product awareness. However, dishstore has their own rebate program entirely separate from Dish which is 1) pretty fair and 2) reputable. I promptly received my $100 rebate from Dishstore with the $29/mo dishHD plan w/24 mo commitment.

I saw similar "cash back" offers from other resellers, but I also saw plenty of complaints of unfulfilled promises. The margins are pretty thin, so beware of promotions that sound too good to be true.

I decided to go with Dishstore because of all the helpful stuff I read here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)